Author Topic: Altered: Tank combat system  (Read 23671 times)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Altered: Tank combat system
« on: 10-01-2011, 20:01:06 »
So this thread is not about modern tanks, but the architecture FH2 uses for tanks... Here d'ya like my title, huh? :-)

Ok, big suggestion!

Tank damage system alteration - Simply put, take the current tank damage system as the imperical value and multiply it exponentially so that we can have finer damage.

I want tanks to engine-die at 0% health, main canon die below 0%, slow to a crawl at really low health, and only explode at like -50%, with successive losses to health lower than 0% (Will happen automatically from 0%) to cause damage to the health of those inside till they are dead. And this will happen well before -50% - However, balanced well, a massive shot say, from a 76mm or greater on a Panzer II or Stuart at the weakest location might take the tank all the way to -50% in a hit - And the driver will, literally, not know what hit him.

Why this you may ask?
Because, tank combat sucks! Its arcade, unchallenging and one-dimentional. We have a beautiful engine that allows combined armed combat, and we have only focused on infantry combat, and little else. And when we get to the Eastern front, you'd see the pain of this lack

Also,
If you can get over tank bailers, which would actually be fun if you see it as 'whack-a-mole' for the tank that killed their vehicle, then you may find it double the fun.

Its more realistic, it allows tankers to change their focus from getting the first shot in, to getting that killing shot, and allows them to be evil to a tank that is clearly out of action by taking that Collogn-Panther extra shot to completely knock it out

And yes, a hit from a bigger tank on a small tank should not be an instant kaboom every time

AND with this balance, we have a special place for mines. It may stop a tank dead in its tracks, allowing it to only fire on the spot, OR it may slow it down to a crawl

HOW?
We NEED to work out the kinks for mobility kill... that's really the key here - Once that's done, that can be expanded to work for main canon-damage and tank rider death

Also, it really works best, if you make use of auxillary architectures like arrow keys for tank turret and Battlegroup frontline tank motion. WHY, because it all adds to the challenges of tank combat.

Imagine, A KT is pwning on the battlefield, standing stationary at the railroad and blasting away everything. A Firefly shows up, and the KT starts to back up. It starts off slowly according to BGF engine, and picks up speed, the human player anxious that he's not moving fast enough. The Firefly player using the keypad takes aim at what is essentially a mobile target and fires. First shot misses, throwing up a plume of dust next to the KT, then he compensates for its motion firing behind it and KABOOM - KT out!

Now that isn't half as fun with mouse-motion and current tank motion because, well, that KT and Firefly are essentially in an outdraw. Fastest mouse-shooter wins. Forget tank speed, that counts for shit

the end
« Last Edit: 10-01-2011, 20:01:37 by djinn »

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
Re: Altered: Tank combat system
« Reply #1 on: 10-01-2011, 20:01:46 »
i agree on everything, movility kills are fun and adds dimention to the armored vehicles.

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-01-2011, 20:01:05 »
I love you

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10-01-2011, 20:01:34 »
Personally, I fully agree.  Not sure if its possible to implement the main cannon not working, but it would give mines a realistic role.

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10-01-2011, 20:01:51 »
in PR the turret gets inmovilized, meaning you cant rotate or elevate the gun, you can still fire trough.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10-01-2011, 20:01:30 »
in PR the turret gets inmovilized, meaning you cant rotate or elevate the gun, you can still fire trough.

Well, if we can have THAT, that's a start. And maybe, even at a lower level, the gun fails...

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10-01-2011, 20:01:24 »
Yepp, tanking can be more fun, and we're working on that. 8)

Offline Viktor2a5

• Act natural act natural. We've done nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10-01-2011, 21:01:10 »
Ok, big suggestion!
the end

What? I understand its something with tank, but... What???

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10-01-2011, 21:01:14 »
Ok, so you didnt bother to read the OP and dont have anything constructive to say? Hmm, ok. you can leave the thread now.

Offline Viktor2a5

• Act natural act natural. We've done nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10-01-2011, 21:01:18 »
Ive read it twice and still dont get it

If its about the tanks damage then yes, it would be nice with some different things happening to the tank.

Then you get to the firefly, and you kinda lost me there.

Sorry for being stupid :P
« Last Edit: 10-01-2011, 21:01:19 by Viktor2a5 »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10-01-2011, 21:01:51 »
*ignores the sarcasm*
Its an example that makes use of all the aspects suggested: arrow keys making for challenging, but rewarding aim, BGF Tank acceleration... I could have added that the KT tankers bail out amid mg fire from the firefly and formerly cowering sherman vs, and that the KT commander, still in the immobilized tank begins to move the turret around, but at such low health, very slowly. The firefly realizes that and fires again - and again, finally knocking the tank out.

It remains, but the driver is now dead.

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10-01-2011, 22:01:04 »
Djinn.. you have my FULL support.. this would actually make giving special AP ammo to tanks a good roll and make them more useful... meaning theres actually a reason to have HVAP or APDS on certain tanks.. along with  handheld AT being more fun i would say or more challenging.
http://i52.tinypic.com/245iq1l.jpg
My Day Begins When Your Days End

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10-01-2011, 22:01:07 »
Dont forget the damage quotient is the same, but the effect is more precise. A zook can imobilize a tank but a guy who kills the crew or blows the tank knows his shit, or the tanker made a terrible mistake. Its no longer just stone, paper, scissors

Offline Vernah

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10-01-2011, 22:01:04 »
+1 to OP

But if arrow keys aren't liked, a maximum turret speed needs to be in place if that's possible.

Offline TheRevoluzer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10-01-2011, 22:01:24 »
Honestly I agree here on every point, and like natty said, there will be improvements...

Hopefully this will be taken into account. Will the improved gameplay a part of the special big anouncemant?  ;D