Author Topic: Mines, Ambushes & Deception  (Read 3053 times)

Offline sniper77shot

• View Profile
Mines, Ambushes & Deception
« on: 03-09-2010, 21:09:29 »
Not done yet will be finished when I get around to it.

In many matches, I have noticed the lack of land mines placed, most are placed in random locations that will not help the team, most get ran over by friendly units due to no warning signs were placed causing issues with the transportation of Infantry, tanks and other vehicles. This guide will show you Ambushes, deception plans and mine placement strategy's.

Mines

Mines are some of the least used weapons in Fh2, due to the team kills amounted by it, therefore it is rarely used. The only map I have seen it used on is El Alamein, and then not even properly used. This section will explain proper uses and how to avoid team kills.

An important thing to note is how people drive often on the sides of the roads, this all changes in fh2, most people do not drive on the roads unless it is on small maps like fall of Tobruk. Therefore 1-2 mines is not going to stop an enemy assault, it might take out 1-2 vehicles if your lucky. Therefore large minefields are the most effective in my experience. Fh2, limits each player to placing up to 5 land mines, you want to place them in a rectangular box in order to get the most effective defensive line, place flags 20 meters away on the side friendly units approach from, other wise enemies will see the flags and go around the minefield, this is also a useful tool for deception as flags can randomly be placed on roads, in order to distract the opponents into going right into an ambush.

Roads are easy to block with mines, place them on one side of the road and tell your team to drive on the left or the right side in order to prevent team kills, this way you will get less team kills.

« Last Edit: 05-09-2010, 00:09:02 by sniper77shot »

Offline kingtiger1891

• View Profile
Re: Mines, Ambushes & Deception
« Reply #1 on: 04-09-2010, 06:09:59 »

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04-09-2010, 10:09:17 »
I have "sweet spots" to place landmines in each map, particularly the desert maps as landmines are "free" there. If your enemy don't use infantry to hunt you down your mines would block even an entire enemy armour assault. (Mines are hard to spot)

But no matter how sweet a spot is, you gotta have some sort of team coordination to avoid TK (and wasting your landmines).

Offline sniper77shot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04-09-2010, 16:09:51 »
Yup I know I am going to finish this later today.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06-09-2010, 07:09:10 »
Problem with mines is that the maps do not provide enough chokepoints where they can be used. More often than not you waste 20min gameplay placing some mines and waiting (fun) then watch tanks coming in missing the mines and just kill you. (boring).
But yea, a mine-kill is one of the most rewarding kills in a game like this.

Offline kummitus

• View Profile
    • CMP Gaming
« Reply #5 on: 06-09-2010, 13:09:08 »
you got completely wrong thinking of using mines.

They're used so that you run after tank, make some noice, get a mine up and throw it under the tank and kaboom  8)
CMP Gaming

Offline phillip

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07-09-2010, 15:09:30 »
Do mines persist after you die?  I've always presumed they did not and didn't find a value in that since I die often.

Offline Sgt. Powderhound

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07-09-2010, 15:09:46 »
Do mines persist after you die?  I've always presumed they did not and didn't find a value in that since I die often.
I think they last as long as the pickup kit is still there on the ground. I've certainly had S-mine kills on infantry a few seconds after being killed and even after respawning.

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07-09-2010, 16:09:58 »
i think mines stay "alive" for a certain amount of time even after the pickupkit/kit has vanished. something like 3-5 minutes IIRC
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline phillip

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07-09-2010, 18:09:37 »
imo it would be nice if

- mines persist until blown up.  makes laying them more useful if they are not dependant on your life.  makes defending more accessible

- players start with the 1-2 mines on spawn, but if they go to an ammo truck/crate/etc they can refill with a bunch  5-6 maybe 10. make it so they can make a field instead of one or two.

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08-09-2010, 10:09:52 »
you can lay i think 3 full loadouts of mines
so if your kit carries 3 mines you can rearm at an ammo box and place another 3 then another 3 and if you then place the 10th mine the 1st will disappear.
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline kingtiger1891

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08-09-2010, 11:09:59 »
I think when you place the 6th mine, the first disappear, both AT/AP mines

Offline DAzLAYER

• [DLF] Leader
    • View Profile
    • [DenLedeFi]
« Reply #12 on: 08-09-2010, 14:09:04 »
Yes I believe kingtiger1891 is right, you can only have 5 active mines.

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08-09-2010, 15:09:47 »
hmm could be it has been a while since i tested those numbers
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline Beaufort

• WIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29-09-2010, 12:09:14 »
Yes it is. I tested it during the last FHT campaign.