Author Topic: Question About Grass  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Vernah

• View Profile
Question About Grass
« on: 26-08-2010, 00:08:07 »
Just a quick question,

does settings your graphics to low reveal players in grass more than players with graphics on maximum hiding in grass? I always find myself in uber tall grass yet players can snipe me as if they knew I was there the whole time. Just curious so I know that hiding in grass doesn't = uber coverage for all players.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question About Grass
« Reply #1 on: 26-08-2010, 00:08:48 »
Yep, that is correct.  The latest patches have corrected this to an extent, but for the most part due to the BF2 engine, players on low settings will be able to see you at long range.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26-08-2010, 00:08:27 »
Don't hide in grass. grass is only rendered over short distances even on good settings. Over long distances everyone can see you. grass is not a gameplay element, but a graphical enhancement.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26-08-2010, 00:08:43 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCuDqrpYQQE

Don't go into the long grass!!

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26-08-2010, 00:08:43 »
*Second-Jurassic-Park-reference-of-the-night-high-five*

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26-08-2010, 01:08:32 »
<high fives back>   :D

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26-08-2010, 08:08:32 »
And there I thought that someone was taking reference to Pott... ah well.
Anyhow, you can hide behind walls, statics, hedgerows and bushes at any distance, but, as was said, don't try it in grass.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26-08-2010, 11:08:04 »
grass will change a little next patch, making it more obvious that you CANNOT hide it it.
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline Moreke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27-08-2010, 20:08:19 »
On a side note, I believe setting your lighting settings to low will likewise enhance your ability to spot enemies, due to the lack of shadows inside buildings. I don't know if a high lighting has some benefits in addition to stopping your eyes from bleeding.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02-09-2010, 19:09:09 »
I never download movies that are CAM or TS because I enjoy watching movies in good quality (720p or BluRay, sometimes XviD) even if it means waiting months for movies Im dying to see.
You enjoy the game as you prefer, either you play on the lowest setting if you think it easier to round up fragz, or you try and make the experience both beautiful & fun.
Choose yourself.

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06-09-2010, 16:09:30 »
grass is only good in short distance, to hide against tanks. I run in all low and I can't see anything in those grasses (but firing a HE shell there is of course the best way to "See")

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06-09-2010, 19:09:36 »
Im almost of the idea that you should prohibit people playing on low settings.

But yeah, if it's the vernah i think it is he's a member in waw and some of our maps actually do have abit longer undergrowth drawdistance so on some maps it should be somewhat doable to hide in grass to some extent.

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #12 on: 06-09-2010, 19:09:01 »

GTFO!

I am still not convinced that low settings do fuck all.  I switch back and forth a lot when I am testing a map (high settings) to when I play (low settings) and if anything I think it makes it worse on low.  The only dirty thing I might do if I had a high-end comp is dick with the light settings on some of the low light maps so it was not pitch black in the houses.
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07-09-2010, 11:09:23 »

GTFO!

I am still not convinced that low settings do fuck all.  I switch back and forth a lot when I am testing a map (high settings) to when I play (low settings) and if anything I think it makes it worse on low.  The only dirty thing I might do if I had a high-end comp is dick with the light settings on some of the low light maps so it was not pitch black in the houses.

I think LOW settings have it's "pros" and "cons" when it comes to spotting enemies.

When your enemy is hiding in the dark (especially tanks) you can't see anything at all. While on higher settings you might still spot the panther's 75mm cannon poking out of that hedge. Some kind of shadow would help you to spot also, I am in an disadvantage when I don't have those player shadows.

Low setting isn't king, I was able to spot enemy tanks easier on all high but now I almost gave up tank sniping(actually I don't like tank to tank combat now) as I could no longer see anything on all low.