Author Topic: FH2 Modding Q&A  (Read 143191 times)

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
Re: FH2 Modding Q&A
« Reply #30 on: 20-06-2009, 06:06:48 »
To Ionizer.

Well, good too see that your will give another try.

The first time i get into Mapping was around 2007, i sucked whit that. I dindt know how to place a Vehicle etc. I gave up.

After reading tons.. and tons of new Maps coming to Project Reality, i said, "Wow! that feeling is back".

After trying to map for PR for 1 Hour, i gave up. They have RULES for mapping, Set Ticket Ammount to X, Do this and this and this and this too. Well, damn.

I said "Hmm, a nice Mix, WW2 + FH2 + Mapping = Fun!". I can have what I WANT. I want a Essen Map? Ask it to FH2! not for me, ill make it!

I wanna play a Cherbourg Map in Multiplayer, but the FH2 devs are not interested in Cherbourg, Ill make it!

For Example, i dont think if the Devs will make a Ruhr Pocket Map, but i will. Remember in FH1? when development was Closed? you always wanted a map? well, you can do it.

Thats the best part of Mapping.

And for the "Starting Map". Start whit something Light, like "Road to Tunis". You just make a few CP's, Controlled by the Axis, a Main Base whit the Tiger. Something that shows the Strenght of FH2.

Currently, i have 3 Maps on Work, Battle of the Camps, Battle Isle (Yes, remember it?) and MiG Alley (But thats for Battlefield Korea).

My Dream is, be a FH2 mapper. But sadly, my skills are not good as FH2's Mappers skills, i dont know how to make Statics (And honestly, i dont care  ::) ) and i dont have time.

About these who ask themselves "When this idiot is going to post a pic of his WiP map?" Well, soon. :P

Maybe Mapping for FH2 1.5 is not fun because its too limited, One front only, maybe two, but the real Fruit is in Normandy. It opens a Big, Awesome front for Mapping..but its also more hard.

Edit:

Also, if you dont have ANY ideas, try this.

See these Greek Islands? well, i made something fun but it was lost in a crash. Operation Abstention. The British raided an Island in the Mediterranean, under Italian Control. It was a very accurate island, the Brits had 2 Desoyers and the Italians Artillery etc. Damn fun.
« Last Edit: 20-06-2009, 06:06:11 by torenico »

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 26-06-2009, 16:06:03 »
Little Problem:
Some of the texture layers on my map are screwed up. Whenever I choose "detail layer" in the render menu they show up all bright and with a chess board texture when viewed from far away.

Tipps, comments?

azreal

« Reply #32 on: 26-06-2009, 17:06:36 »
roflcopter...you probably did something wrong. First set up your texture layer with the proper color/detail textures you want. All that good stuff. Then choose "Set Low Detail Texture" which is about 3/4 of the way down on your Editor tab, and choose a .dds file. Finally, directly below that pick "Generate Low Detailmap" and you should be good.

Offline pheeph

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10-07-2009, 06:07:47 »
hi, I'm in a rather hectic situation here... I created as many 19 static objects (these are all signs and targets) for my FH2 Boot Camp map (with the .dds files included in each one) and I've been trying to get them to show up in the map.  The map is running fine when it doesn't have the objects, but it crashes when I include the objects in some way.  Some of these methods were from the bfeditor.org guys...

-When I previously had FH2 and the editor installed, I tried including the custom objects by placing them into the existing objects_statics zip files.  At one point it worked, but after uploading it, some people are saying that using this method of placing objects causes the map to crash.  It didn't seem to happen to me until I reinstalled FH2 and the editor into another operating system.

-I've tried putting them in the client.zip file and server.zip file (after using a BF2 batch file to pack the map).  The map still doesn't show anything.

-I created a tmp.con file for the map.  I wrote in the stuff to run these objects, but also causes the crash.

-I tried copying and editing the serverarchives.con and clientarchives.con

I'm still determined to get this working properly, but I need help on this.

Offline Fenring

• Developer
  • Retired FH2 developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 11-07-2009, 13:07:54 »
You need to pack the map and the objects need to be run in init.con, check highway tampa, a bf2 map that has some custom statics.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 22-07-2009, 11:07:35 »
How do you make it so you have only one layer in your map (for example only a 16 player version)?

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 22-07-2009, 14:07:16 »
you need the default layer also..

im not even sure default layer exists in layer.con, check it.. but i see no point at all trying to remove it, as then you cant have statics.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 22-07-2009, 14:07:19 »
No, I mean how can I make it that in the end there is only a 16 player map, not the 32 and 64 player versions?

azreal

« Reply #38 on: 23-07-2009, 01:07:50 »
You would need to delete everything relating to the 64 and 32 player versions in your .desc file. Look at Alam Halfa to see how they did it.

Offline Rataxes

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 23-07-2009, 03:07:03 »
Can someone please give me some pointers on .dds files?

-What format of .dds should be used?

-Which PS plug-in should be used?

Thanks
/Rataxes

Offline Lobo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 23-07-2009, 18:07:13 »
Download WTV, a dds viewer developed by Nvidia,
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/windows_texture_viewer.html

it shows the format of the dds in the bottom bar, in this page you can download other dds plugins: http://developer.nvidia.com/object/photoshop_dds_plugins.html

Offline Rataxes

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 24-07-2009, 00:07:22 »
Ok, thanks a lot Lobo.

Offline Krätzer

• Developer
  • Bitter Lemon
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 24-07-2009, 04:07:41 »
DXT 1 for normal Textur, DXT 5 for Texture with that will be shown on Alphachannel.

Offline Rataxes

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 24-07-2009, 14:07:47 »
Thanks Krätzer  :)

Offline [F|H]Deek_101

• FH-Betatester
  • F|H Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Forgotten Honor Tournament
« Reply #44 on: 26-07-2009, 21:07:18 »
I'm setting up another fh2 folder called fh2_ed to avoid damaging the fh2 folder if I do something wrong and make less clutter, how do I link a shortcut to this mod like the fh2 one? Do I just have to copy the fh2.exe and rename it fh2_ed.exe and make a shortcut on the desktop?