Author Topic: Desperately need help with Windows Live Messenger.  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
Ok so I have been using MSN/WLM for years to keep in touch with friends, classmates and colleagues. I never really was a fan of the jump from MSN to that creepy strange WLM but still, Microsoft forced it.. Now I had done a movie project for school, all fixed it up on Premiere Pro but that decided to act real bitchy so instead of going on with a lagging crashing program I decided to add the audio with Windows Movie Maker, real easy right?

So they forced me to install Windows Live Essentials (Really, essentials?) and the sneaky bastards also updated my WLM while it installed Movie Maker. This new version is called Windows Live Messenger 2011. It is a malfunctioning WLM with a browser in it so you can look up news about Paris Hilton's new dog with a free sucky search engine thrown in too.

So after I finished pasting in my audio files I went to delete every trace of Windows Live from my computer, no Windows Live crap is present on my PC. Then I picked an older version, 8.5 WLM to reinstall but according to Microsoft it is still installed and I need to remove it first.

Even if I start this dreaded Essentials again it still says Messenger is installed! I Googled like crazy but nothing helps to remove this freaking program while it's already removed.

I am clueless and I want my Messenger back. Anyone that can help me?
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
Re: Desperately need help with Windows Live Messenger.
« Reply #1 on: 04-11-2010, 16:11:16 »
www.trillian.cc

I've used this for the last 4 years or so. Haven't touched msn since. Or ICQ. Or mIRC. Or AIM. Or Yahoo Messenger. Or Skype. It even keeps you logged in to Facebook.

If you want to go the hard way, I guess the registry editor is your friend. Try regedit or your registry editor of choice, mine is RegCleaner (by a chap called Jouni Vuorio) small and simple to use, also creates backps of anything you delete.
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04-11-2010, 17:11:03 »
Oh I tried the hard way, I found the removal numbers of WLM on Google but when I entered it, it said it was already removed..

Cheers, I have Trillian. No idea how to link it with my WLM adress though.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04-11-2010, 17:11:12 »
I donno what you did Fuchs, but I use the newest Windows live, and it works perfectly fine for me....  But then, I didn't install anything else of the essentials pack <.=.<

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04-11-2010, 17:11:14 »
Which version is it? Microsoft poops them out like they ate too much tacos.

The 2011 version is like Windows Messenger with a browser in it with that Bing search thingy and celebrity news. The browser is bigger than the actual Messenger thing and if buddies send me a message it wont reach me untill I click on them.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04-11-2010, 17:11:20 »
I am clueless and I want my Messenger back. Anyone that can help me?
Make sure you have backups of your data (which is preferably on a separate partition from the OS anyway), format your C: drive and reinstall Windows.

Sure, third-party removal tools might work, but on the other hand, they might also mess up your registry, considering it's a MS program deeply integrated with the OS that you're trying to uninstall after a failed uninstall.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04-11-2010, 17:11:16 »
Oh yeah sure, 350gb of files will magically re-appear on my computer I guess.

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04-11-2010, 17:11:43 »
Oh I tried the hard way, I found the removal numbers of WLM on Google but when I entered it, it said it was already removed..

Cheers, I have Trillian. No idea how to link it with my WLM adress though.
Use the same username/mail & password for the MSN plugin and it works just fine, it's still using the same network no matter what they name the program.
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04-11-2010, 18:11:30 »
Yeah, I just found out how to link my old MSN adress with Trillian. We'll see how this works..

Offline Ciupita

• Gay Lord
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04-11-2010, 18:11:18 »
Fuchs: go to control panel and from there programs and features (or something like that..) and remove windows live essentials 2011. You can't install old version otherwise.

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #10 on: 04-11-2010, 18:11:52 »
I donno what you did Fuchs, but I use the newest Windows live, and it works perfectly fine for me....  But then, I didn't install anything else of the essentials pack <.=.<
Screen shot or it didn't happen.

I've had this live essentials thing sitting in my icon bar for the last week now.  I'm not doing anything with it until I see the results.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04-11-2010, 19:11:40 »
Ohhh, the browser?  You can turn that off.  Just hit the button in the upper right of the window next to the add friend button.  See:

« Last Edit: 04-11-2010, 19:11:44 by VonMudra »

Offline Ciupita

• Gay Lord
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04-11-2010, 19:11:01 »
yeah but everyone (and yourself) will show with their real names, not nicknames (unless they change it from email settings).

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04-11-2010, 20:11:39 »
</3

Not in favourites.

Offline Stefan

• View Profile
"It is the function of the CIA to keep the world unstable, and to propagandize and teach the American people to hate and fear, so we will let the Establishment spend any amount of money on arms."