Author Topic: Less grenades  (Read 2971 times)

Offline Kradovech

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: Less grenades
« Reply #30 on: 17-02-2011, 21:02:59 »
Yes it is, and thats represented right now as well.

On the subject of the brain being affected. Getting too close to an explosion feels quite similar to getting hit on the head, something you can experience in the boxing ring, only more severe. (depends on the charge and the distance of course.) Now because of this i always assumed the shockwave caused concussion, meaning your brain getting smashed into your own scull, and thus creating the "stun" effect. Is this theory wrong?

And yes, the sudden pressure difference is what generally causes death, when dealing with high explosives.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 17-02-2011, 21:02:47 »
Now because of this i always assumed the shockwave caused concussion, meaning your brain getting smashed into your own scull, and thus creating the "stun" effect. Is this theory wrong?

Yes, this is what I believe as well, unless someone knows more about braindoctorism.

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 17-02-2011, 21:02:49 »
Wrong, the breaking of your eardrums is what fuckes you over. you falling to the ground is what can fuck your brain over.

You balance is mainly controlled by your eyes and ears. Those 2 signals have to match, if they don't (like on a ship, where your eyes say you are not moving, but your ears say you are) then you get sick. Loose balance and throw up and shit.

If the ears are damages to much, like lets say an explosions, then you have the same, just a lot worse. You fall to the ground since you just lost all your balance, feel like shit and probably even throw up.

Hence people on the ground crawling and deaf when you throw a large pressure wave in there direction.

Not 100% sure of this, but breaking an eardrum is sometimes also labeled as having a concussion, since it is very similar in many ways. The brain getting smashed into you own skull isn't really and instant death, and is mostly only dangerous with side impacts. It takes a few hours for the brain to swell and cause serious problems. (unless you just plowed a hammer in your head, but then it is more the pieces of skull that cut there way into your brain that are the problem)

Also, we are talking about air pressure and the rapid change of it, a boxer hitting you in the face has a lot more force. people who died of overpressure rarely show visible marks on the outside. Just blood in the mouth and ears.

If you want to compare it with a hit to the head, then i propose hitting someone with a flat hand where your wrist hits the temple and your flat hand the ear, one semi hard blow can give a person a concussion and make him go down and stay down. Saw someone do it about 5 years ago, i was rather amazed.

If you want to counter the presure, close eyes, nose, ears and mouth.

Offline Jobabb Jobabbsen

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 17-02-2011, 21:02:25 »
The Sturmtroopers in ww1 could attack a trench with a bag full of stick grenades, aswell as ive seen clips from ww2 where russians do grenade spamming from big crates full of grenades.

Offline HadrianBT

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 19-02-2011, 03:02:01 »
Quoting Kradovech:
"Did any other nation use attack grenades ikn ww2? If yes, these could be implemented as well."

Russians did. The two most common grenades were the F-1 (very similar to Mills bomb) and the offensive RGD-33 (abbreviation of handgrenade in Russian). The latter one could be improved by a fragmentation sleeve, just like the German potato masher. On the point of how many grenades were used I have read that experienced soldiers stocked up on grenades (up to 10) and only used them for important attacks or defenses, as the grenades were supposed to be regularly issued on day-to-day basis. Most of them said that the German nade was crap due to very low effective radius, being used to the defensive F-1, however some assault troops liked it due to the superior throwing distance (RGD-33 was heavier but shorter).

On the point of damage from concussion grenades:
Siben is mostly correct here. The "brain getting smashed into the scull" is wrong, as it is not freely hanging there, but is well confined by the walls of the skull. However he is wrong that to protect yourself you need to close eyes, nose, ears and mouth.
It does help to close ears (the pressure wave can destroy the ear drums), nose (the pressure wave can break some blood vessels, however the actual damage is minimal) and eyes (the pressure wave can press the eyeballs). HOWEVER you should open the mouth. By opening your mouth you make the internal skull pressure closer to the outside pressure by at least equilibrating the pressure in your mouth, as you can't really open your brain enclosure. So when the wave reaches you, it might cause some unpleasant feelings in the mouth, but there are no important things to be damaged there in the first place, but the better overall pressure balance could save your head altogether. The main problem here is that you generally don't have enough time to open it (you'll eat all the dust you can if you try to do that during an artillery strike) ;)
Proud member of CWC dev team (voice-recording).
"im sorry,but you sound like an old grumpy man listening to rock music" AngryBeaver
"Some argue that the only thing in the world you cannot get used to is an icicle up yours, because it will melt" Kelmola

Offline Beaufort

• WIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 19-02-2011, 12:02:17 »
I am okay with Handgrenades. What i find a bit silly is the amount of riflelaunchers and nades and the use of it.
I shamefully admit that i am one of these people who at the beginning of a round puts on a rifle nade to shoot it at the first enemy i see, even while running or jumping  ::)- thats because you mostly have one or two spare nades and it is way too easy to use them.
Maybe reduce the amount of them or make sure that one can just fire it while standing or crouching (thats how they were used IRL too IRC)

^ this. Grenades are ok but riflegrenades are too much.

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 22-02-2011, 07:02:05 »
At least from a book I read about the Korean War (written in Chinese account of course), the Chinese use grenades extensively in assaulting American positions at night. As well as musical instuments, which is kind of weird. (the latter I think is true, at least multiple sources seemed to have agreed on that)

So, if, even the poorly equipped Chinese (with like no industrial base) got grenades to spam, the combat nations in WWII, have no reason to be lacking of grenades to toss as they could made them easily.

The current grenade spam, is made more annoying due to ... one thing. It is immediately obvious that the useful tactic is, a guy toss a grenade, dead, respawn at SL, toss, dead, repeat, until a grenade somehow blown up all the garrisons and the flag fall in 5 seconds.

Not to say SL spawn is bad, but certainly is a factor in the abundance of grenades.
« Last Edit: 22-02-2011, 07:02:07 by General_Henry »

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 22-02-2011, 15:02:30 »
...Not to say SL spawn is bad, but certainly is a factor in the abundance of grenades.

So you're saying that we should remove SL spawn to prevent grenade spamming? That's a... great idea actually, I never liked people randomly popping out of thin air, but that could potentially have a great effect on public play teamwork, which is already pretty rare...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Vicious

• I belong to Naughty Club
  • Panty Buncher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 22-02-2011, 16:02:19 »
The problem isn't the amount of grenades, it's the lack of appreciation for cover and one's life.

No one ever sticks with the tanks on Brest, if they did all they'd have to do is hide behind them or stay inside the APC.

Along with defensively staying alive from grenades with a greater appreciation for your life, OFFESNIVLY if you only spawn 8 times a round that's only 16 grenades, BUT if you repeatedly die and toss grenades you can spawn 30 times and throw 60 grenades. Don't let people die 30 times in one round, that's my suggestion. 20 spawn limit even for fh, then sit there and think about what a noob you are.

Reading about the raid on Barce, no one even died!!! nothing but wounded, people appreciate real life not video ones, and that causes other issues like infinite grenades.
« Last Edit: 22-02-2011, 16:02:08 by Vicious »
So they are so infallible yet they can't even communicate and work with each other... sounds like politicians.

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 22-02-2011, 16:02:50 »
Squad leader spawn is pure evil, I hate it. Where are the good ol' days of Anctoville without it.

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 23-02-2011, 05:02:12 »
Squad leader spawn is pure evil, I hate it. Where are the good ol' days of Anctoville without it.

NOPE, SL spawn is not a total bad thing.

I could list a few very good thing about SL spawn:

- It keeps a particular group of people together, not scattered around the map. And therefore less lonewolves and more teamwork.

- It makes playing with friends a lot easier, therefore much more fun.

- It makes combat more intense.

There is a lot of reason to maintain the SL spawn, it sucks, when your squad is simply scattered like that in antoville, though that was a really nice try, I must say.

If I find the time, I'd wish to make a post to urge for improving the SL spawn rather than to remove it. I do agree on, however, it is a bit strange to have enemies appear out of thin air, especially it makes no sense why all your enemies come from your own basement, that obviously your enemies didn't dig a tunnel to it.