Author Topic: Weapon 3D ironsights/sway feedback  (Read 32836 times)

Offline Mayhemic.MAD

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon 3D ironsights/sway feedback
« Reply #90 on: 27-02-2010, 15:02:01 »
Nice to hear about the Bren changes, I can´t even remeber when I last used it because you loose so much visibility when you aim with it.

Doesnt matter. It should be theta123 as it was my C&C Name, but ye... i was in a jolly mood back when making an account for BF2.... and my mate was just at home and said= Why 123 and not 0123?  One large discussion came.............to shut him up, i used 0123
Your mate is right, you cant deny the Peano Axioms  ;D
Der Motor des Panzers ist ebenso seine Waffe wie die Kanone.
Heinz Guderian

--- Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!! ---

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 05-03-2010, 08:03:15 »
About the BAR and bren, will it be too much to have both version in 3rd person i.e folded bipods when you select the one with folded bipod and extended bipod when you select that one instead? Currently, irrespective of which you select, save for a noticeable difference in fire rate, you still see a 3rd-person LMG with bipod extended

Really good news about the new sights and bren variant though

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 05-03-2010, 15:03:53 »
Yeah, that'd be real nifty... I mean, it's weird as everyone has their BAR set to 650rpm and they're running around with deployed bipod - kinda ruins the immersion for me.

Offline Kev4000

• FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 06-03-2010, 20:03:13 »

Compare to:

Do keep in mind there are field of view differences from 4:3 (first) to 16:10 (second).
« Last Edit: 06-03-2010, 20:03:42 by Kev4000 »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 07-03-2010, 12:03:55 »
The British field of vision seems more use-able - Gives more for the hole to cover

However, I thought about it. Aiming down a sight for a Thmpson, you shouldn't even see that back area in totality should you... I mean, can it possibly be alot closer.. I that rear-sight should be right infront of your face, right?

Or is there a problem making guns that close to the screen?

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 07-03-2010, 14:03:37 »
That big hole looks rather weird to me. What I mean is that a slightly bigger close-up of the gun would appeal better I think (I'm on the same boat with djinn basically). Also, I actually don't have a problem with the Thompson as it is now in 2.25 but if something has to be done, I don't really think it should be modifying iron sights in itself (the model of the gun) as it appears unrealistically to be honest (those sights of Thompson should really be small, shouldn't they? like Garand's are small too).
« Last Edit: 07-03-2010, 14:03:46 by McCloskey »

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 07-03-2010, 14:03:09 »
That big hole looks rather weird to me. What I mean is that a slightly bigger close-up of the gun would appeal better I think (I'm on the same boat with djinn basically). Also, I actually don't have a problem with the Thompson as it is now in 2.25 but if something has to be done, I don't really think it should be modifying iron sights in itself (the model of the gun) as it appears unrealistically to be honest (those sights of Thompson should really be small, shouldn't they? like Garand's are small too).
The holes in FH2, and every other game, must be much much larger in order to make the sight actually work. There are pretty much no way to make an aperture sight to work like in real life. To make aiming possible, the hole in the rear sight is made larger.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Kev4000

• FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 07-03-2010, 21:03:14 »
Yep, all games have such enlargened ironsights. Aperture cameras (really complex!) are required to make it realistic. Doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime in the near future. For comparison,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW7XrMRWZDU

http://s3.amazonaws.com/readers/webupon/2008/03/13/125391_19.jpg

To this:

http://images.snapfish.com/3447558%3B23232fp58%3Dot%3E2337%3D599%3D%3B:6%3DXROQDF%3E2323:37483873ot1lsi

Anyway, thus ironsights are optimized mostly for gameplay. While the new Thompson ironsights aren't visually better, I hope they'll make the weapon better in gameplay. So give feedback with this in mind.
« Last Edit: 07-03-2010, 21:03:46 by Kev4000 »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 07-03-2010, 21:03:08 »
Wow, that's some huge M1-garand.. Looks like the AT version - And the sights are huge!

One thing aside that I did notice was how that American soldier's uniform is nothing close to grass-green and the well-fitted buttoned up sleeve you can see, as seen in all WW2 games save for FH2... I really wish they'd change the first person sleeve for the American soldier etc... It really looks like nothing more than a cylinder than a sleeve. But again, an aside

How about keeping the sights as they are and simply having it closer to the screen. Any word on why that isn't an option... More like Brothers in Arms

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 08-03-2010, 11:03:14 »
i like the new bigger holes ^^

the small holes make aiming difficult,  they might work well in RL but not in games thats why ALL games have much larger sights than in RL.

the small sight hole is the main reason why i dont like to play with the M1A1 thompson.

the thompson 1928 is fine though
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline Kev4000

• FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 08-03-2010, 12:03:30 »
One thing aside that I did notice was how that American soldier's uniform is nothing close to grass-green and the well-fitted buttoned up sleeve you can see, as seen in all WW2 games save for FH2... I really wish they'd change the first person sleeve for the American soldier etc... It really looks like nothing more than a cylinder than a sleeve. But again, an aside

Not really for this topic, but FH2 got this one right, everyone else is wrong. Mostly from hollywood first getting it wrong. Then everything else being based off of hollywood. There are other colors indeed, but the green we have is a lot more common then most think.

For example:
http://www.atthefront.com/khaki_spr_comp.jpg
In the (oh so desaturated) movie:
http://images1.fanpop.com/images/photos/1600000/SPR-wallpaper-saving-private-ryan-1669460-1440-900.jpg
« Last Edit: 08-03-2010, 12:03:40 by Kev4000 »

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 08-03-2010, 12:03:57 »
Also, brothers in arms uses airborne uniforms, maybe they look a bit different.

Offline Kev4000

• FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 08-03-2010, 12:03:23 »
Also, brothers in arms uses airborne uniforms, maybe they look a bit different.

http://www.atthefront.com/khaki.htm
Page explaining it all

http://www.thehistorybunker.co.uk/acatalog/airborne300.jpg
Shows US 101st airborne.

All games should feature the Olive Drab uniforms.
Reason Brothers in Arms does not, is because BiA is not based on reality. BiA is based on Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers.

Someone should seriously re-saturate SPR and BoB, it would be fun to watch how it actually looks.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 08-03-2010, 12:03:19 »
What I said about BIA was that their ironsights are alot closer to the screen - Perhaps that would help make the sights 'bigger' while not actually exaggerating them

And about the uniform, thanks for the pix - and thanks for clearing that up. But again, those are OD green, FH2's are grass green - Alot darker than the pale green you've shown me (I do wonder how movies all the way back to say, the 60s also seem to get it that way and coloured war footage too) - Perhaps it won't hurt having both brown and OD in?  but YES very off-topic

Offline Kev4000

• FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 08-03-2010, 12:03:37 »
Ironsights aren't closer to the screen in BiA, the field of view is just limited more (same effect), which can indeed make it larger. There's no strict rules on how to represent field of view on a computer screen. There's no concrete borders on your eyesight.
However closeups are not really feasable with 3D ironsights in BF2 due to it lacking advanced field of depth effects. It becomes notoriously pixelized without them if too close. We figured it was worth the sacrifice for having 3D ironsights. The cameras in our 3D ironsights are generally about where you'd position your eye. Also another thing, I like keeping it simple to an extent aswell. Having them too close can make gameplay seem jittery and unsmooth.

Just something I did for laughs - resatured a screen from SPR:
http://www.home.no/kev4000/spr.jpg
This makes the actual movie look like walking dead, haha

I did some quick comparisons and samples of the OD green, I found nothing specifically wrong at first sight. Keep in mind there are several variations to OD green aswell. However, I forbid further discussion on it here, firstly I'm not an artist, secondly wrong topic.
« Last Edit: 08-03-2010, 12:03:50 by Kev4000 »