Author Topic: Total War games  (Read 71504 times)

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
Re: Total War games
« Reply #885 on: 07-09-2013, 20:09:33 »
I don't see how this game doesn't have challenge, twice now I've gotten into fights with multiple countries who have caused me major headaches. Currently fighting Athens and Macedon as Sparta I'm having a hell of a time, and some really great battles. Even lost a few of them. The AI is not as bad as some people make it out to be.

Tell me how is this a challenge.

Greece was left completely undefended, that one army you can see there is a rebel army that spawned at the work of my agents. The only resistance I met while invading ''the center of the first world'' was that small island state you can see in the bottom of the screen, and after I landed there with 2 full legions and a full fleet it turned out the army was made up of fucking peasents and peltasts. The only trouble I had taking over Hispania was that the enemy armies kept running away from my legions. I'm litterally thinking to declare war on the entire world because it seems the only thing that could actually make things difficult for me.

The only thing my campaign AI is doing is starving its armies (which are composed of stupid levies and militia anyway) and running away when I come close. I was blockading the port of that island while I waited for the second legion to arrive from the north. The AI had a full stack inside, two 1/3rd navies near the harbor and  half a stack outside. When I ended the turn, it didn't fight. Nope. It ran away. It fucking ran away. It abandoned the only city it owned and moved its armies to the edge of the island and the fleets to god knows where. I had to reload the turn and assault myself to make it any fun.

I don't know what you are doing that is so game breaking, but my experience is way different than yours. I've never invaded an undefended territory without being counterattacked on the next turn.

Offline A-tree

• View Profile
« Reply #886 on: 08-09-2013, 04:09:42 »
Currently everything is wall of text which cannot be penetrated in order to reach deeper.
They're called "books" and you can read them. They're infinitely better than the grossly simplified version you're offered in a 9 minute youtube video.

I am not disregarding the quality or quantity of knowledge written in the books I'm just saying that its not so easy to acquire the knowledge when reading a book as it is when viewing it or even playing it as a game. Half of the things i know about WW2 are from games (weapons,vehicles, battles) then the rest is indeed documentaries and books which build on that foundation.
You build your foundations of knowledge on youtube, games and documentaries?
lol, thanks for the laugh kid.

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: 08-09-2013, 11:09:34 »
lol so funy my sides, you tell funy joke kid  !1!1one1!

I said specificaly about world fucking war fucking two. I would give an example so that idiots like you can understand but this is going off topic.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: 08-09-2013, 11:09:59 »
I don't see how this game doesn't have challenge, twice now I've gotten into fights with multiple countries who have caused me major headaches. Currently fighting Athens and Macedon as Sparta I'm having a hell of a time, and some really great battles. Even lost a few of them. The AI is not as bad as some people make it out to be.
Indeed. Rome 2 seems so far the most challenging Total War game. Same with the AI.

Worth noting that the battles are about 10 times better with the morale and unit speed mods.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline hslan.Grim

• View Profile
« Reply #889 on: 08-09-2013, 13:09:54 »
So I read some reviews now and what I hear in this topic this game is kind of bad. But is it really? I pre-ordered it but will get it in a week. I just want to know if it is really as crappy as most of the people here say it is.

I played Rome, Empire and Napoleon and loved all of them. Is Rome II really that much worse then all the previous games of TW I played? What I have heard so far is that AI sucks, game engine is buggy, crap grahpics and historical incorrect events (ships blowing up, walls going down in sec etc.). Is this really what the majority has encountered?

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: 08-09-2013, 13:09:21 »
What I have heard so far is that AI sucks, game engine is buggy, crap grahpics and historical incorrect events (ships blowing up, walls going down in sec etc.). Is this really what the majority has encountered?

That's pretty much the standard Total War game release.

People whine on the forums during the release swearing the they will boycott CA, play the game for 700 hours and repeat the same whine when the next game is released.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Sander93

• View Profile
« Reply #891 on: 08-09-2013, 13:09:45 »
As it stands now it's kinda shit, but as always it will be worth the money once CA starts patching the graphics and AI and mods start to appear which improve gameplay even further. It's a poor release, like most previous TW releases, but I'm confident that over time it will be sorted out. 

You can feel the foundation is good, but that the release was rushed and the game is only at 80-90% of what it should have been at a proper release.
« Last Edit: 08-09-2013, 14:09:20 by Sander93 »

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: 08-09-2013, 15:09:39 »
So I read some reviews now and what I hear in this topic this game is kind of bad. But is it really? I pre-ordered it but will get it in a week. I just want to know if it is really as crappy as most of the people here say it is.

I played Rome, Empire and Napoleon and loved all of them. Is Rome II really that much worse then all the previous games of TW I played? What I have heard so far is that AI sucks, game engine is buggy, crap grahpics and historical incorrect events (ships blowing up, walls going down in sec etc.). Is this really what the majority has encountered?
It's roughly as buggy as Empire was on release.

Offline Archimonday

• View Profile
« Reply #893 on: 08-09-2013, 18:09:59 »
Indeed. Rome 2 seems so far the most challenging Total War game. Same with the AI.

Worth noting that the battles are about 10 times better with the morale and unit speed mods.

I havn't tried their mods out yet, but definitely two big things that needed to be changed was the movement speeds and the collision radii of the soldiers. Once I had modded those the games battles go so much better. The radius for most soldiers was so small that they would phase right through one another, and form a giant glob. When they actually have collision the formations don't break down nearly as much. In-addition to that, I set the capture point cap points to -1, so its unlimited and the points mean nothing (meaning I actually have to kill the enemy army to win, or vice versa) and changed around unit mass, basing it off the English Pound as opposed to whatever measurement they had. The standard soldier now (assuming he's wearing about 70 pounds of kit) will weigh about 240 lbs, and the average horse, 1400 (w/ rider and gear.) Makes a world of difference.

Was going to dive into the projectiles tables soon, and modify some physics based stuff for those, but without being able to tweak their damage it doesn't really matter. I haven't found any need to modify morale yet, I think vanillas morale system works just fine with the tweaks I've done. At most I'd up the penalty to other units for one of their own routing away, I'm not the guy that believes in this notion that ancient armies would stand their ground until every last man was dead, because naturally human beings do not like being in hand-to-hand combat, and the reality was much less romantic.

and btw, its not anywhere NEAR as buggy as Empire was on release. A vast majority of people couldn't even run the game for five minutes back then without a crash. I've crashed once since the game was released, and found only one other major bug.
« Last Edit: 08-09-2013, 18:09:48 by Archimonday »

Offline Born2Kill 007

• Anytime, baby
  • Professional accountancy hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: 08-09-2013, 19:09:35 »
Wait, it's the same moralengine as Empire? I've had yesterday while playing empire, that 118 african line infantry (with 3rd generation bayonets) started fleeing from 8 canoneers that were in melee mode, while that was the only unit the enemy had left and i had 7 units line infantry left. They had general dead and my general was alive. Similar moral bullshit when fighting on the walls of forts. 150 line infantry loses 15 guys while fighting 60 mob, of which there were 10 left when they started fleeing, so then my 135 line infantry goes fleeing (at that time, i had ring bayonets). I honestly hate the worthless morale stuff in Empire.
Ще ми се изпържи картофа
#FreeDamaso

Offline Archimonday

• View Profile
« Reply #895 on: 08-09-2013, 20:09:14 »
Wait, it's the same moralengine as Empire? I've had yesterday while playing empire, that 118 african line infantry (with 3rd generation bayonets) started fleeing from 8 canoneers that were in melee mode, while that was the only unit the enemy had left and i had 7 units line infantry left. They had general dead and my general was alive. Similar moral bullshit when fighting on the walls of forts. 150 line infantry loses 15 guys while fighting 60 mob, of which there were 10 left when they started fleeing, so then my 135 line infantry goes fleeing (at that time, i had ring bayonets). I honestly hate the worthless morale stuff in Empire.

I wouldn't compare Rome to Empire, its not the same.

Offline Archimonday

• View Profile
« Reply #896 on: 09-09-2013, 03:09:12 »
 ;D

Offline Tankbuster

• View Profile
« Reply #897 on: 09-09-2013, 06:09:23 »
Pontus vs Sparta eh?

Offline Archimonday

• View Profile
« Reply #898 on: 09-09-2013, 06:09:07 »
One of those Eastern countries. Pontus was my ally. Another tribe had forged an Empire after defeating Pergamon and the Seleucids. I defended Pergamon in a popular war, but after we got swiftly defeated on all fronts, I made peace with that Tribe and destroyed Pergamon instead. Needed to expand, and make settlements completely designed to forest food.

Offline Strat_84

• FH-Betatester
  • Lemming Chieftain
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: 10-09-2013, 13:09:24 »
I gave it a try with Athens, just for the sake of laughing. Speeds of the units modded for the game to be at least playable.
I did a few naval battles, the ships are hoovering above the sea, no resistance from the water, no inertia, it's like they had diesels and antigrav engines. On the top of that my navy can get stuffed by a few transports, no matter what you do. My ramming doesn't do anything, theirs sinks a ship when barely touching it.
The flag system in regular battles is simply ridiculous. Why the hell would a smart man defend a grass plain in the open when there are hills and some forest 300m away ?
Let's not talk about the ton of magical unit abilities, it makes me sick.
Then there's the AI. When I finally declared war on Macedon, I could actually crush its starving capital. There was an army around, it RAN AWAY instead of defending. And the assault was a real joke, the AI doesn't even use the phalanx formation with phalanx pikemen ...
Sparta (his ally) was definitively a threat. About 50 units, they could have done a lot of damage while I was busy with Macedon. These armies just kept derping around Sparta ...
And then a Celt nation decided to declare me war. I thought "Oh nice, a 5-towns fat one, at least maybe a challenge, combined with Sparta and Macedon" ... And the game crashed.  ;D

Not worth a cent, I'm glad I didn't buy this.