Author Topic: [IDEA] Succession map  (Read 1874 times)

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
Re: [IDEA] Succession map
« Reply #15 on: 25-04-2010, 11:04:01 »
Now you said both.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Safe-Keeper

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25-04-2010, 11:04:59 »
Well, my buddy and me over at FS (where we first discussed this) intended it mostly as a "just for fun" project. The playability issue is there, and as I said, ground rules would have to be laid down (like respecting the climate and theme of the existing sections). I suppose another good idea would be to not place control points, spawn points or vehicles, for then to look at the map when it was finished and work out a game mode from there.

Sure, for an official map it'd be a dubious plan at best. For a "just for fun" project, though, I think it has potential.

TS means that the whole map (gameplay included) needs a defining trait.  With more than one person making it, they might have different ideas what the map should be like, so it will play like crap.
Oh damn... so sorry. Here I was, so frustrated I couldn't explain what I meant properly, and it turns out I was the one who didn't get it all along ::).

Offline elander

• [DLF]
    • View Profile
    • Den Lede Fi
« Reply #17 on: 26-04-2010, 15:04:55 »
I didn't say it should be separated into several maps, I said you should mark with lines or hills or whatever where the boundaries went.

Sounds cool, because sometimes maps turns out cool and good gameplaywise without any thoughs about it from the mapper. I mean, say 1 area of the map turns out to be a bottleneck, a cool bottleneck :p

Disclaimer - Personal Opinions are not shared with DLF

Offline Zeno

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26-04-2010, 16:04:24 »
i want inn on this! ;D

we should set up a group?

Offline kummitus

• View Profile
    • CMP Gaming
« Reply #19 on: 26-04-2010, 22:04:30 »
 8)
CMP Gaming

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27-04-2010, 00:04:27 »
I did something exactly like this for Dawn of War(http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=198734)

It actually worked very well. We drew out a generally map with the locations of important points and objects specified and then each mapper got a week to do fill in his portion of the map with visual fluff. We had some issues of course, a few mappers left and had to be replaced and optimizing it was a major pain, but in the end it was by far the most detailed and largest DoW map I've seen. It wasn't 100% balanced, but since all the mappers were experienced and everyone communicated well people had a pretty good idea how to keep everything matching what other mappers were doing.