Author Topic: [IDEA] Succession map  (Read 1877 times)

Offline Safe-Keeper

• View Profile
[IDEA] Succession map
« on: 24-04-2010, 18:04:44 »
This is an idea I've had in my head for quite some time, and before I try it out myself, I wondered if anyone else had given this thought, or even given it a try at some point.

Basically, the "succession map" is similar to the succession game, like the hilarious Dwarf Fortress cult classic Boatmurdered, where players take turns playing a single-player game and write in colourful terms about the process. DF has a strong succession game tradition, as the gameplay lends itself well to this playing style.

But I got to thinking, what about making a map this way? There would be two different ways to do this. Either just split a blank map into clearly labelled sections (using textures or whatever), for then to fill in your and send it off to the next guy, or just take turns designing it freely (one hour of total work time per person or something). Or you could designate a heightmap and give it basic textures, lightmaps, and so on, and take turns placing statics and vehicles and whatnot from there.

I think this idea has potential for lots of fun (and some "what? I didn't intend for a whole airfield there!" frustration) :), and that some very colourful and enjoyable maps could come out of this, as long as some basic ground rules are laid down that everyone agree on and every mapper takes his or her task seriously.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: [IDEA] Succession map
« Reply #1 on: 24-04-2010, 18:04:35 »
i totally did not understand this suggestion  ??? ??? ???

Offline Safe-Keeper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24-04-2010, 18:04:00 »
Generate a blank map in the editor. Separate it into four pieces (or however many pieces you want) with the texture tool, then fill in one of the sections. Then hand it off to another guy, who will fill in another section and hand it over to a third guy, and so on.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24-04-2010, 18:04:12 »
That wouldn't work, you can't just randomly put together pieces and expect the map to play out well. A map needs to be designed as a whole.

Offline Safe-Keeper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24-04-2010, 18:04:53 »
I didn't say it should be separated into several maps, I said you should mark with lines or hills or whatever where the boundaries went.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24-04-2010, 20:04:58 »
I know, but that wouldn't work because a map has to be designed as one piece.

Offline Safe-Keeper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24-04-2010, 22:04:22 »
Generate a blank map in the editor. Separate it into four pieces (or however many pieces you want) with the texture tool, then fill in one of the sections. Then hand it off to another guy, who will fill in another section and hand it over to a third guy, and so on.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24-04-2010, 22:04:20 »
Its not that hard to Understand.

You just paint 4 Likes or make a Cross in the Map.

4 Areas, get 4 Mappers. I work in Area 1, X Works in Area 2, etc.

I think hes trying to get a way to make Maps more fast.

Offline Safe-Keeper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24-04-2010, 22:04:12 »
I think hes trying to get a way to make Maps more fast.
Well, that's not what I wrote, but sure, that's another possibility -- since every mapper has to do only 1/4 the work, and should consider it a new and fun experience, it'll probably get finished pretty soon.

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24-04-2010, 22:04:04 »
TS means that the whole map (gameplay included) needs a defining trait.  With more than one person making it, they might have different ideas what the map should be like, so it will play like crap.

In theory, the idea is interesting. In practice, it just wouldn't work.

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24-04-2010, 23:04:42 »
Has this ever been practiced? Perhaps the 4 mappers get together and decide on how it's to play, and then pass it along with that general idea in their head. It would still have the touches of the mappers, and they would still be focusing on the same gameplay style.

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24-04-2010, 23:04:16 »
nice idea i could imagine some nice results.

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #12 on: 25-04-2010, 00:04:49 »
I've seen a map that was made like this for Age of Mythology, and although that is an RTS, I can see some potential flaws in this plan.

The most obvious being that there was no overriding theme to this map: there was Egyptian desert right next to lush forests and bleak Scandanavian mountains.  Each mapper had claimed their section as their own and had proceeded to do their own thing ignoring the surroundings.  The borders between people's contributions were obvious, even where the sections were very similar.

However, this map was more about showing off your mapping skill than making it playable.  However, I think even a map like this with drasticly fewer participants and an agreed theme would fall into the same plotholes.

Also, the person who went first would hold all the cards - they would not have to conform to the environment at the edge of other people's sections.

This could have som potential, but I think it would not result in a very playable map.

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #13 on: 25-04-2010, 02:04:48 »
nice idea i could imagine some nice results.

I don't know if nice is the word you are looking for.....Interesting maybe.
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25-04-2010, 10:04:30 »
did i say nice or interesting?