Author Topic: Pathmap to 2.3: Drawde to Remick (The Fan-modders' log)  (Read 5095 times)

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
Re: Pathmap to 2.3: Drawde to Remick (The Fan-modders' log)
« Reply #15 on: 21-09-2010, 19:09:57 »
Standard Arty pieces and mortars have raised view perspectives for bots, deployable ones don't. Mostly, because I didn't know what Drawde did to make the AI objects and have them work with the spot system. Also the spotting system was being reworked for the mobile arty. I probably could have figured it out, but my attention was focused elsewhere. And I partly wanted to keep some arty the way it is in Multiplayer, in case 2 or more human players are playing together in Co-op, they would still have arty that functions the same. I have played a few rounds where I placed a deployable mortar for bots to use in an area that had decent view of the battlefield, and the bots used them quite effectively. But it has to be an area with a good view... behind a building or in a ditch won’t work as well.

As for a post 2.3 sp hotfix. I'd say that's unlikely to happen. I'd love to fix up some things for you guys, there are a few somewhat important fixes I've made that did get done in time for 2.3 (like semi auto rifles firing rates, and an issue on Ramelle). I could certainly give you guys fix files unofficially, but it would be the same old backing-up and editing files that I know you want to avoid. Getting an official fix would require the team going through the long tedious task of prepping the build for a release, which takes time and energy out of development of the mod, and I doubt anyone would want to do that for something that isn't exactly broken, it just needs improving.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21-09-2010, 19:09:40 »
Thanx for the feedback. You are the man!

Did also want to know if deployable mgs functioned like statics i.e bots remaining on indefinitely. I sure wish so as bots tend to bail without firing, losing the gun for the player. Also remaining on, also for deployable mortar, would allow covering fire. The worst example was with the .30cal which bots never use when deployed and bail immediately when they do.

Offline Devilman

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22-09-2010, 00:09:43 »
Did also want to know if deployable mgs functioned like statics i.e bots remaining on indefinitely. I sure wish so as bots tend to bail without firing, losing the gun for the player. Also remaining on, also for deployable mortar, would allow covering fire.

Add this at the end of the exit paragraph in the tweak file (1 meaning yes)

ObjectTemplate.dontAllowExit 1

Note...this also affects humans

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23-09-2010, 13:09:07 »
A question or 2 for mobile arty. Does it also have switched shells for bots like other arty i.e HE as weapon 1? Otherwise bots will always fire AP, using it as a tank-destroyer.

It also presents a challenge to raised POV, since i'd hate for it to have one. That said, without it, it would only fire at range, making it canon-fodder

Here's what I think and I'll try to get Drawde to look at. If it is possible to get 2 seperate POvs; normal for players, raised for bots

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26-09-2010, 00:09:56 »
The mobile Arty was added kindda late. No particular reason why, it was just one of the last things added. It does have Ai support, but probably not up to the standards of Drawde's AI tweaks. I haven't tested it much other than to make sure it won't crash the game if bots of humans enter it. So I can't speak with any form of authority on how it behaves. It probably could use some improving, (I think its using the AI of another vehicle). I believe it has multi ammo types like any other vehicle, but I'm not sure the bots use them effectively.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26-09-2010, 01:09:00 »
Well, a fixable challenge after we get our hands on it :-)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28-09-2010, 12:09:13 »
Been to the map section of this website, anyone?
http://wiki.bf-games.net/index.php/Forgotten_Hope_2

@Remick04...

"WE ARE NOT WORTHY! WE ARE NOT WORTHY!!"

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01-10-2010, 12:10:43 »
I'm looking at it now, what am I looking for?... ???

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01-10-2010, 13:10:43 »
Oh, you're days late. Wanted you to go to that site's map section and see what gamemodes were supported. But remick's already announced it now, and frankly that site doesnt mention all: all maps now have bot-support, PeB, all 3 new ones, mareth, anctoville, villers, lebisey

Only alam halfa and falaise pocket don't have official bot-support.

Well, seems we need to edit the DL page to have only those DL links i.e alam halfa and falaise so SPers can just plug them in. Should all be perfectly compatible with 2.3 multiplayer.

Drawde, with all your stuff in now and Remick having aparently even 'taking it up a notch', this thread has served its purpose. I now declare the 'pathmap' to 2.3 closed!

Great work everyone. Goes without saying, Drawde, it might be easier to come up with a fresh mini ai mod if need be cuz the last one is all in now.

I still got a couple of crazy ideas rattling around the inside of my head to implement, and got clivewil on my insane damn-fool adventure too.

Hope you guys stay for that. But for the time being, we're just 7hrs from our finest hour. This' where it all pays off :-D

Bloody gud job everyone!

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01-10-2010, 13:10:38 »
Ok, I'll edit it after I've checked out 2.3...

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 01-10-2010, 13:10:32 »
Good man :-)

Bardia is also only 16-size, or so says the website. but its 64-size DL link should be the same as alam halfa. Wont hurt to write its link too.

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01-10-2010, 20:10:38 »
Definitely looking forward to seeing how the AI has improved in 2.3 - will start downloading ASAP once there's a non-torrent mirror available. Congrats to Remick04 etc for putting in the effort to get the AI tweaks and map AI support into the official release!

Odd, though, that Alam Halfa is one of the maps still with no AI support, as the AI for this map had already been partly done (can't remember who made the files but it was pre-2.26)

If another, hopefully much smaller, AI minimod is still needed (maybe some fixes didn't get in due to MP compatibility reasons) I'll definitely start anew using the 2.3 files, rather than attempting to use any of my earlier work.

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01-10-2010, 21:10:12 »
I can think of a couple of things that could use your touch Drawde. ;D As well as a few fixes of my own that didn't make it into the 2.3 files in time. So, if you are going to release another Ai minimod let me know and I'll tell you the fixes I have.

Alam Halfa had AI support in 2.26 but its info.desc file didn't have the SP game modes so the map didn't show up in the map list ingame. That should be fixed for 2.3.

As Djinn said this thread has served its purpose so I'm locking it, I hope you all enjoy 2.3's AI and I look forward to hearing your opinions.