Author Topic: Review the latest movie you have seen  (Read 181682 times)

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
Re: Review the latest movie you have seen
« Reply #1260 on: 21-02-2012, 00:02:40 »
Empire of the Sun

This may sound silly but one thing I really love about Lord of the Rings (both the books and the film) is how the characters develop through it all. In the end they have all changed somehow and they have all been affected by what happened between the the start of the journey from Point A to B and to the very end.

I get that same feeling with this film. Christian Bale plays a very young English spoiled brat in Shanghai in 1941. The war that has surrounded them for some time is now about to affect them even more.

Great performance by Bale even though he's so young in this film. Also amazing performance by John Malkovich. A young Ben Stiller is also in this.

Anyhow, it's late. Great movie, well worth the time. If you as I have, missed this film through out the years. Then see it.

9 out of 10

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: 25-02-2012, 01:02:35 »
Just watch Black Swan.

What can I say that hasn't been said about it already?

Unlike any movie I've seen before. At some points I felt it had a Fight-Club theme to it (won't spoil it if some madman hasn't seen fight club).

It deserves a high rating. And I honestly see no reason why it shouldn't get a 10

10/10
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: 25-02-2012, 06:02:05 »
Watched 13 Assassins a day or two ago, good Samurai movie. More action-y than I'd prefer, but a good movie, would have like a bit more Bushido/way of the samurai deep stuff. 7/10

Also watched the documentary Restrepo, about O.P. Restrepo out in Iraq/Astan. Really good documentary for the upclose and personal kind, lots of funny bits too. 8/10

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: 25-02-2012, 14:02:51 »
Moon (2009)

Watch the trailer here.

"Moon" is a sci-fi movie set in the near future where fossil fuels have been replaced by eco-friendly Helium-3, which is being farmed on the moon by giant, autonomous tractors owned by the international Lunar Industries company.
The moon base and those tractors are being supervised by one man, Sam, who signed up for a three-year-contract.
He spends his days in near solitude, only accompanied by a robot called GERTY. Due to an accident he only has sporadic contact with his superiors and his wife and daughter making his daily life very lonely.
With only 2 weeks to go before his time is up, he makes a nasty discovery that changes everything.

This movie is just awesome, one of the best movies I´ve seen in a long time. A really creative story, great acting by Sam Rockwell and Kevin Spacey as GERTYs voice, stunning pictures of the moon and near-future-technoloy and extremely well-fitting music.

Definately a 9/10.
« Last Edit: 25-02-2012, 14:02:30 by [WaW]hOMEr_jAy »
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #1264 on: 25-02-2012, 15:02:33 »
Sounds awesome, will check it up!

But first: Tintin!

Offline Gezoes

• There is no middle ground.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: 25-02-2012, 15:02:02 »
Cool, I know few people who've seen Moon as well. A fine sci-fi movie indeed. The filming of the solitude of space reminded me of Kubrick, 2001/2010. Fun fact: Sams alarmclock was made by a friend of my friend's sister 8)

Moneyball (2011)
I don't care much for baseball, but I saw it anyway. Nice movie, with a good supporting cast, and... I have to admit. Where I usually vomit OR go searching for a bag when mr. Jonah Hill is concerned... he showed he can do something else beside play the fatty in poo and pee comedies. He's very good as the nerdy math kid that helps Pitt in picking his team. I think Moneyball is overrated in the Oscar department,  but I enjoyed it none the less.8 out of 10

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011)
Well, the book is by John Le Carré, so be ready for that. He writes like a chessgame, and the movie follows suit. Very confusing if you're not used to his style of weaving storylines and characters together. But a good classic, 'seventies feel', spy movie.

Gary Oldman is good as the sucker Cold War relic spy, at least, that's what Smiley wants people to believe. In reality, he's icecold and thorough. Almost no action, an acting movie, the opposite of the Bournes I guess. It does tend to drag here and there but that's inherent to Le Carré. Also, there's only so much intensity one can bring with a long close-up, and they overdo it a bit. Still, with a plus for decor and wardrobe 8 out of 10.

Tonight, I will watch The River series pilot. Friend of mine recommended it. I'm betting it will be just the pilot, but I'll give it a shot. Somehow, it already has a high 'The Event' feel to it :D

"If I wasn't a little mad, I'd go mad."

Offline Ciupita

• Gay Lord
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: 25-02-2012, 18:02:26 »
The Hurt Locker (2008) 7,5/10

A different kind of war film. Good, but sometimes it became just boring.

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #1267 on: 25-02-2012, 19:02:30 »
Tintin
- I loved it. Great Indian Jones feeling straight through the whole thing and great animations with perfect choice of actors for the voices. Made me want to read all the comics again!

8 out of 10

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #1268 on: 26-02-2012, 12:02:01 »
Transformers 3
- High points just for good looking sheila, explosions and lot of action. The rest is complete scheisse.

5 out of 10

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #1269 on: 26-02-2012, 22:02:52 »
MoneyBall
- I really liked it. Nice to see Jonah Hill get a shot at something beyond the comical sidekick. Brad Pitt being... Brad Pitt. I bet he will win the Academy Award for this just because I don't think this movie will win Best Picture (yeah, it's nominated).

But however, I liked this movie. Not your typical baseball flick. If you have any interest in sports (and numbers) you will surely like this.

7 out of 10

Drive
- Ryan Gosling as a Stuntman/Mechanic/Getaway Driver? Well, why not on a Sunday evening!

Even though Gosling tries a bit too hard to recreate a new Steve McQueen of himself this movie is actually really good. Great story, amazing cinematography and the soundtrack is truly amazing. It has a nice dark thriller á la 1980's over it without being corny.

8 out of 10

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: 28-02-2012, 01:02:02 »
The Fifth Element.

The acting is not always that good and it's a bit French (the French humour is subtle enough for my taste in this one) but what can I say. It's a masterpiece.

5/5 +1 extra for Milla.

Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: 28-02-2012, 09:02:42 »
The Fifth Element and subtle humour? ^^
But nevertheless 8/10 from me.

Tintin is my all-time favourite animation movie. 9/10 It's just so great and true to the comics! ^^

Moon gets a 9/10 as a great sci-fi from me as well.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: 28-02-2012, 12:02:18 »
The Fifth Element and subtle humour? ^^

Subtle for a French film.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Ciupita

• Gay Lord
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: 28-02-2012, 13:02:36 »
5 Days of War 5/10

Propaganda, propaganda, propaganda. Russians look like gangsters, kill civilians etc. and georgians save the day. Georgian soldiers all have special forces style training and one squad can kill a company of russians. Should get less than 5 points, but whatever.

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: 28-02-2012, 15:02:22 »
After a recent bout of TV shows this week I finally started to watch some movies again... :-)

- The Big Red One (Reconstructed version) ****
I guess everybody on these here boards have seen this flawed low budget masterpiece, so no explanation needed.

- Dogma ***
My least favorite of all Kevin Smith films, apart from Cop Out and Jersey Girl, which I don't even take into account. Uneven but still highly enjoyable. It's about two fallen angels Loki and Bartleby (Matt Damon and Ben Affleck) who've been stuck on Earth (in rural Wisconson for that matter) for millennia but finally found a loophole in the bible that can bring them back into heaven. Metatron, the voice of god (Alan Rickman, brilliant), sends out Jay & Silent Bob as prophets to help The Scion (Linda Fiorentino) stop them.

It's as sharp and witty as Smith's other works, but somehow the movie feels uneven. Although the way he intertwines the biblical themes into his usual View Askewniverse is done pretty well, it somehow feels like Smith is trying too hard. And, at roughly 2 hours, it's way too long to sustain its premise.
But good, solid writing and great casting win out, although as hot as she is I still think Salma Hayek is miscast, or under-written, as The Muse. Her part just falls flat, with hardly any jokes or useful stuff to do.

By the way, check out Red State if you're interested in Kevin Smith's darker statement against organized religion.

- The People vs. Larry Flint ****
One of the great movies of the 90s, imo. Mixing biopic with politics, this movie seems even more important and topical now, than when it got released in '96. Woody Harrelson plays Hustler Magazine founder Larry Flint and the movie depicts his legal battles against shortsighted and narrowminded established America.
A career-best performance for Harrelson (and Courtney Love too, although playing a drug-addled careerjunkie is far from a stretch for her I guess) and a great story about freedom of speech.
FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.