Author Topic: Modding existing weapons and equipment in Forogtten Hope 2.45  (Read 983 times)

Offline Andromahkos

• View Profile
Hello All,

I would like to make some minor modifications to the meshes used in the game, like just make a bayonet longer, or a rifle a bit longer or modify a  helmet.

I did a lot of mesh modifcation in bf1942 and their respective mods, as long as it did not screw up the collision elements.  I have done a lot of modeling and texturing so I do know my way around a bit with models.  This whole setup with bf2 though has me stumped.

This is just for a personal modification.

I have 3dsMax9, I have the BFTools for 3dsMax9 and the POE tools.  (I have been searching on the internet for a couple of days now...  :)  )

I also have gmax and the gmax tools, but found out that I couldn't import the bundlemeshes...

I am just looking at minor mesh modifications here, not importing/exporting a completely new model.  I just want to import the model into gmax or 3dsMax9, push and pull some vertices around and then export it back to game... thats all.

Does anyone have some tutorials or guides or suggestions to do this?  The tutorials I have read have to do with creating a model and then exporting it ot the game, but nothing really on something as simple as I want to do.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

P.S.  Forgotten Hope 2.45 is the best!!!

Offline [KamiKaze] Destroyer

• View Profile
Hello =) If you are intrested and willing i would need few models for my Warsaw Uprising map :D (If you get going that is), what you say? =)

Offline Andromahkos

• View Profile
Sure I would like to, but I have to figure out this bf2/fh2 modeling workflow. 

I have school starting in mid August so my time might be limited, it may not though just have to wait and see.  I am taking animation classes using Maya.  Last semester I modeled and textured a Sdkfz 234/3 for game art assests class.

Here is the link:
http://flic.kr/p/cDzW9N

• View Profile
Awesome =) It looks good the sdkfz ;)

Have you checked http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/tutorials/ ?

And i dont know if you know about this program but there is a very useful program called BfMeshView
I think there is even an export and import option =)

Offline Andromahkos

• View Profile
OK, I checked out bfMeshview...  I have used this to a certain extent before, but not for exporting the mesh.

Is the wavefront .obj the only export format available?

I can edit that, but I was not sure if the model retains all of its pertinent information, like bone assignments, materials ,etc. when it went through that process...

I guess after that the workflow then goes through the lengthy process of exporting the model back into BF2?  Like I have seen on some of the other tutorials...

I was hoping there might be a more seamless (aka easier...) workflow to work with, if so let me know/// ;D

Offline pizzzaman

• Test Map De-coder
    • View Profile
Could the polish also have a hetzer?  :)
Like with Polish markings?
So Tank against Tank while Infantry against Infantry.
You are bathing in misery and hope, waiting for someone to come and pull the plug.

• View Profile

Sorry, dont know more, only used bfmeshview for manipulating textures, i am sure anyone knows more? Dont hide who ever you are!

What i would need is (order by priority):

Polish underground made SMG "Blyskawica"

From top: Two Blyskawica, One sten gun (All produced underground)
But Blyskawica is based on sten gun and mp40, and i am pretty sure you can use sten gun as template if you want =)

Polish pistol VIS wz.35
http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/6240/visp.jpg
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3654/vislf.jpg
Huge images so i put link instead =) Polish uprising army firearms were mostly consisting of pistols.

Women soldier model
This one might be hard...
http://www.tchu.com.pl/wydawnictwo/zarzycka_moj_pamietnik/tchu_zarzycka_pamietnik_zdj5.jpg

There were a lot women and children (But those we can skip!) fighting, working as curier or part of medics.

Partizant wearing civil clothing
The idea is to make the defending team feeling that they are not generic soldiers, they are people with guns fighting for survival, therefore i think it would be great to have one or two civilian clothing soldiers, like those
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-o8jk6HuwXxM/TjM_49HkTqI/AAAAAAAAEnk/e60g7ZknfJ0/s1600/5.jpg
The dude crunching, very civilian looking but with helmet, i like the contrast.

The one reading the note, a bit less contrast, but still looking civilian =)

Well, there is a lot more for sure! But if you can do at least one of the above, it would be of massive boost for my map allready, and which you do is pretty much up to you, if you dont know which one you feel like doing then feel free to start from top =)

Could the polish also have a hetzer?  :)
Like with Polish markings?
So Tank against Tank while Infantry against Infantry.

Well, i been thinking about that, but i save it for next map, which will probobly be a little bigger =) Adding Polish marking is no problem ;)

Offline Andromahkos

• View Profile
That sounds great!!!  Sounds like the French mod is wanting help too...

I would really like to help on the FH2 mod team, and if we can fit this into their workflow somehow that would be great.  I just want to make sure I am not promising people too much and then I am not able to deliver... I don't want to make people upset... LOL.  Let me talk to these other groups and see who is needing help.  To be honest, I want to work on ALL of them!!  :)

Below is a link of more of my work, primarily weapons.  I think I will have to ask permission if I modify the Sten gun to the Polish homemade version.  Do you have any idea who made that model?  Then we or I could ask permission for that one.

On characters/soldiers, I am not there yet.  I have not done any character modeling YET!!! ;D, but I have done character animation with prebuilt rigs.  We could certianly use some existing models though for a basis for the new ones, but again, we would have to ask for permission.

I don't want to promise too much at this moment, but I could probably do the homemade Sten, especially if we get permission to use an existing model.  I have also been approached by another fellow who asked me to do a French tanker helmet, so I am not sure where all of that fits in as well.

Lets keep in contact with each other on here and I can keep you posted about where I might fit into all of this...

http://flic.kr/ps/JYnAN

• View Profile
Haha, yeah, modeller is "Most wanted" i think :)

About the sten gun and permission, i dont think it is nessecery (FH dev feel free to correct me if i am wrong) becouse its not much of a mod, its just a map =) Its not like it will be for a diffrent game, the map is especially for FH2, so, we are not stealing/removing/changing, we are adding! =) And i have no intentions to hide content, everything in the map is avalible for anyone.

And its same with French maps (correct me if am wrong CptdeS35 =) ). I mean, the mod vs map part ;)

The BF2 way of handling maps is awesome in this that you can add custom sound/models/vechicles/kits/whatever just for the porpose of the map =) Without changing/manipulating the mod itself.

Wow, those models look great =)

Well, tell me how it goes when you start working on something for FH2 (Like my Blyskawica!) :)

Offline CptdeS35

• View Profile
And its same with French maps (correct me if am wrong CptdeS35 =) ). I mean, the mod vs map part ;)

sure !

Sounds like the French mod is wanting help too...

Help not exactly, but if you can do what i asked you i'll be glad ^^
FH2 Dev (wait seriously ?)

• View Profile
So? How its going?  8)

I have been playing around with models a little and i found out other useful tools:

PoE2 3ds max tools
Battlefield 1942 mod development kit (needed for importing stuff from BF42 i guess)

Offline Andromahkos

• View Profile
So sorry I have responded to you on here...

I have started working on some excercises to get used to working in 3ds Max and using the BFTools.

I hope that during the work I will be doing for the Russian front, I could develop that weapon.

With School starting, its going ot take me a while, but I would like to do it.

I will keep you posted though