Author Topic: Ranks / Stats / Awards  (Read 6284 times)

Offline Fritz_Fraghof

• View Profile
Re: Ranks / Stats / Awards
« Reply #45 on: 25-09-2009, 20:09:46 »
You dont understand the fact that there are BF2 players to which VOIP has never worked in their computers?

I understand that, but I don't understand your argument. Are you saying that just because some people might be ineligible for an award, then it should not be there for others, even if it does something to encourage teamwork? And do you think every award has to be equally available to all?

Personally I think there probably should be some sort of air awards, even though I am bested by any decent pilot with a joystick. But if they go the lengths to buy one, configure it and use it, then good luck to them. Do you think that is fair Flippy?

BF2 VOIP one of the best? Oh my.

At least of its generation surely? Didn't FH team like BF2 engine for its advanced squad and VOIP possibilities, amongst other things?

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 25-09-2009, 20:09:19 »
Yes. Its fair if everyone is capable of getting an award.

Offline Raizok

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 25-09-2009, 20:09:59 »
Good thoughts behind the ideas, but when it comes to the first one, I don't think that's a good idea. The thought is good, but rather implement like some PR servers has (join a squad within 30 seconds or be kicked), but I don't want that either, that just restricts the gaming freedom (sometimes I don't want to play in a squad, I just want to sit back and play casual when I'm to tired to committ to the game.
This suggestion would not be like that, but you can just join, leave, join, leave a squad to get it.

Easily avoidable if you'd change it to "play in a squad most of the round for X rounds".

Offline Tim270

• PR Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 25-09-2009, 21:09:53 »
A mix of serious awards with a few humours ones thrown in.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 25-09-2009, 21:09:44 »
Teamwork?

Obviously make the winning team get more privilege (e.g. BF2's double points for the winning team, more easier to get stats, awards, ranks, etc). Then every individual, including the casual ones will fight the battle more serious.
Squad makes good friends and fun, but the entire player (not just the squad) must play for a certain side which needs to win.

Trigger happy...

Put accuracy meter for certain weapons and awards for people who don't waste shots and expose their positions. It is... ummm adds more realism to the game play. Sure MGers, pilots that strafe enemy positions, tankers that smokes enemy out, artillery guys that fires randomly to shake the resistance... they have to be compensated.

Vehicle Bailers!

Kinda difficult, and don't want to make the game like a "army vehicle driver" career simulator. But those who wasted the vehicles should be noted as well. So no more Tiger/KT or other celebrity vehicle whiners "You'd better not waste that tank!", "watch that Tiger!", etc... and no more bailers. My idea would be like how many times you exit the vehicle when it is in good health. But perhaps a quick tips that randomly appears like "use carpool to reduce base camping" would be better.

Offline Fritz_Fraghof

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 26-09-2009, 08:09:03 »
Yes. Its fair if everyone is capable of getting an award.

Okay. Thanks for clarifying. BTW how many awards are the team thinking of having in FH2? For some reason, when I heard Team Fortress mentioned I assumed there would be a hundred (or more) awards in FH2, but if there is only going to be a dozen or so then I won't bother putting forward any far-out ones.

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 26-09-2009, 13:09:24 »
That tk award should have the face of Granpa Simpson with the caption "And that's how I got the Iron cross"
;D +1

- Should awards be serious (like BF2) or fun (like TF2)?

Mostly serious, but a few fun ones would be cool...e.g an award for last place, maybe the "Back to Basic Training" award?

Offline theUg

• View Profile
    • http://theUg’s sump
« Reply #52 on: 27-09-2009, 12:09:42 »
1. How do you feel about an official stats / awards system?
2. What kind of awards should there be?
3. Should awards be serious (like BF2) or fun (like TF2)?
4. Should the focus lay on teamwork or individual achievements?
5. Should we make our own awards, or focus on historical medals (or a combination)?
1. Can’t wait.
2. Those that are there already aren’t bad. Just tweak them a bit, get harder to get. I have no beef with IAR awards, single (17 shots in left eye IAR) or combination (like BF2 SL/Comm awards: N hours as a comm, X total comm points, Y comm points IAR).
3. More serious, with some fun ones thrown in. Keep the Bicycle Queen, just don’t let them die so easily (Falling off 1-meter high mound, bicylce explodes, rider dies? So much for realism mod. :D)
4. Both. Individual awards make people get better with certain weapons, vehicles or devices (that’s how I got better with SMGs or other automatic-fire close combat) which eventually contribute to the team’s success.
5. Both. Historical awards give it more authenticity, but, obviously, badges/ribbons should be generic as they transcend different armies.

Couple notes on the stats system and scorekeeping.

1. Stat website while currently is pretty nice, should include more information and, possibly graphs, like bf2s.com (Why not use Jeff’s system and just reskin it? Why invent the bicycle?).

2. Include Win/Loss stat, W/L ratio and award like in BF2142 that shall reward certain W/L ratio coupled with other merits.

3. Assuming that BF2142 is based on the same engine as BF2 (Am I correct?), can individual weapon stats can be included? While SMLE and K98 are similar rifles, K43 and Garand or M1 Carbine are vastly different in feel and use and cannot be lumped in the general “Rifles” category.

4. While FH2’s scoring system is quite nice (introduction of target difficulty and assist split based on that, spotting points etc.), some improvement that promotes squad cohesion is needed (Either simple one, like extra SL success points for kills/assist/support actions for squad mates in SL order radius like BF2142, or more complex, like PR, sans all the crazy high numbers.).

There's another system that I would hope catches on, I forgot the name, but you only hear those things that are in the immediate vaccinity.
It’s called Mumble. Just recently got to try it in PR, very nice. Not only it works in the vicinity, but also it positions itself (you hear the guy talking to you form the side he is talking to you) and fades with distance. Designed to be used in combination with built-in VoIP: Mumble vicinity for intra-squad announcements (when few guys from different squads (or lone wolves) are in the same spot); Mumble squad leader channel as a radio communication between squad leaders (esp. useful when there’s no commander to relay information); BF2 VoIP for regular in-squad radio chatter.

I don’t know, but I’ve been told
Shooting things is gettin’ old
Hug a child and plant a tree
Show some hospitality

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 27-09-2009, 12:09:13 »
My idea would be like how many times you exit the vehicle when it is in good health.

Doubt that this would work...
1. Most bailers DO bail when their tank is being heavily damaged and they wait for the finishing move.
2. Punishing this wouldn't be a good idea, as it is perfectly fine to bail out way behind your own lines to repair your vehicle.

Offline TheWattershed

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 27-09-2009, 16:09:10 »
Ranks are something you should not get easy. Who wants to see a server full of captains? Thats not very realistic.

I hope for a system thats similar to this http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=2078.0.
Low set of ranks for the grunts/Squad Member, high set of ranks for the Officers/Squad Leaders/Commanders.

Offline [130.Pz]I.Kluge

• Better ask twice than lose yourself once.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 27-09-2009, 20:09:04 »
2. Punishing
(If made)Those could fall under a hidden subcategory of fun(ny) awards; so that they don't become a brand of shame just something for a good laugh.
There is the bad the good, but fun.

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #56 on: 27-09-2009, 22:09:53 »
But how is this gonna go down?

You get a bunch of medals/ribbons/badges and gain rank as well?

Medals/achievements sure but rank? Hated that about Vanilla BF. 18 captains and 10 LT's running around on Wake.

Offline [130.Pz]I.Kluge

• Better ask twice than lose yourself once.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 27-09-2009, 23:09:23 »

Medals/achievements sure but rank? Hated that about Vanilla BF. 18 captains and 10 LT's running around on Wake.
Maybe by a combination of time(within a squad and being SQL{Kit} separated), and teamwork based badges/awards etc.
But, damn it sure going to be tricky... :(

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #58 on: 28-09-2009, 19:09:32 »

I made a coment about expanding the information you get from an award that I thought was nice - I believed I knew a lot about WW2 until I frequented the FH forums, the guys here have a wealth of knowledge and understanding about the conflict, the weapons, vehicles and tactics involved.  To learn more about the history of WW2 through an award system may seem a little degrogatory to the men and women who put their lives at risk but in my opinion it could help teach some younger players the sacrafice that our ancestors went through. Like you the vanilla BF medals and awards were something that didn't enhance the game for me.  And detracted from the play for some noticable players who would - for example keep running at me with a pistol out trying to get their badge.  If that kind of player learned something (about WW2) at the end of their 'challenge' then I wouldn't mind so much that they spent their time running at me like a headless chicken.  ... It wouldn't stop me shooting their ass though to deny them their LT badge.
« Last Edit: 28-09-2009, 19:09:31 by von.small »
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline TheWattershed

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 01-10-2009, 18:10:23 »
I've gone and tried to make a new ranking system that I think would work well with FH2. You can find it here http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=2078.0