Author Topic: ESAI: FH2 Edition  (Read 34443 times)

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
Re: ESAI: FH2 Edition
« Reply #180 on: 06-05-2011, 01:05:37 »
Ah, that explains it. I thought the copy I had was fully updated. At any rate, the original strategies.ai file is going to be gone soon. Now I need to get my butt off this fine forum and get back to working with BF2Editor.

1,000 pardons for my previous comment.

Edit: No need to double post. Progress report:

I have finished the majority of the spawn point modifications. There are a few mortars I missed, but I will return to them after the ESAI plugin is completed. As with Mareth Line, I also reworked both teams airfield spawns to keep bots away from them unless there is an aircraft available.

I have sketched the battle plans I intend to implement, and have already written a rough draft of the code. By rough, I mean that the code exists in scrawled notes and diagrams living in my favorite loose-leaf notebook.

I will begin coding the plugin today.
« Last Edit: 06-05-2011, 20:05:49 by Void »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 06-05-2011, 21:05:05 »
Always been the most efficient modder out there. You know me - I'm always impressed.

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #182 on: 06-05-2011, 21:05:59 »
Heh, I'm working as we speak. The axis strats are nearly complete, and they are finally able to take the town.

I thought I could get by with using the default ESAI strats for the allies, but I've found that they need special instruction also to obey the push order during their counterattack. Also need an allied defense strategy for round start, to try and get their armor moving north to meet the Germans.

I repeat myself, but I have to say I really like this level. Who made it?

Edit- I almost have this sucker ready for testing. Just need to fire up the editor again and make the final tweaks to the spawn points. The Church is still quite a hard point for the Germans to capture, but that may also be a reflection of my strategy design, which does for the most part consider it to be a secondary target.

Here is a screen of  a typical German offensive:

The strong Axis presence at that northern flag is a result of the bots getting somewhat pinned down by the Allies coming out of the Monastery base, even though NZ isn't actively attacking that flag. I'm going to tweak the strats a bit to address this, in case anyone was wondering.
« Last Edit: 07-05-2011, 00:05:46 by Void »

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #183 on: 07-05-2011, 01:05:06 »
I don't know for sure that this is finished, but I am pleased with how it is shaping up so far, and I'm ready to find out what you guys think of it.

Test kit includes ESAI:FH2 v2.6b (new as of today) and Mount Olympus pre-patched server.zip for both sp and coop 64 size game modes.

Get it here

Testers will want to try more than one round I would think. The strategy is non-linear, i.e., the Germans have 3 different ways to launch their offensive at round start. You may see very different results from one round to the next. Or, you may not.

Enjoy.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 07-05-2011, 12:05:15 »
Just tried it the first time. One problem jumps out instantly. Its not a BIG problem, but it does mean that it is an impossible level for Germans.

The Australians are given a command to defend the first base. For the first few minutes, it isn't a big issue, but then if the Germans don't cap that base in that time, it becomes a stronghold of no less than 30 Aussie bots, most wieliding SMGs as per their AI logic to defend against bots coming in at close quarters. The Germans on the other hand, come from range, most with rifles...

I think if the initial assault was split between that base and the tempe almost equally, Aussies will defend either and be more uniformly spread out.

There is also an oppotunity for a flanking maneouver since the base next in line also can be capped. This means, Germans can then cut off that first base if it initially proved too hard to cap, and deal with it peace-meal, since not all defending bots wil be spawning there, but coming from the rear bases.

I do like the fact that bots seem to use stationary positions alot more now, and the defend orders means, allied aircrafts are available for close air support from the get-go.

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #185 on: 07-05-2011, 15:05:49 »
I think if the initial assault was split between that base and the tempe almost equally, Aussies will defend either and be more uniformly spread out.

The axis initial attack is currently coded so that there is already a chance they might do this (strategy: axis_initialAttackC). I will make it so that they have to start this way every time, and will try broadening the defense order for the allies to include the church.

I'll post an update later today.

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #186 on: 07-05-2011, 19:05:52 »
k then...

Axis will now attack both the church and the north flag at round start, or at least they should do this 95% of the time.

Allies will now defend the church, the north flag, and the castle at round start.

No changes made to the map archive. Just download and install the ESAI update and the adjustments will be in place.

Here is ESAI:FH2 v2.6.1b: BFSP Link

I will take a moment to inform you guys that I have joined the dev team for a BF2 mod called BF2 Realism Mod. It is not huge like FH2 is, but nevertheless I will be dividing my time between this project and work on RM.

Unfortunately, if there are conflicts of interest the RM mod will be my priority, since I am an official dev. My work here is great fun and I do take it seriously, but it is still technically just "Fan Modding". Note that I am not threatening to disappear again! I will still work on as many FH2 maps as I have time for.

« Last Edit: 07-05-2011, 19:05:48 by Void »

Offline mutley

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 07-05-2011, 20:05:42 »
A much improved strategy in Olympus in ESAI 2.6 (not tried the 2.6b1 yet)

I would ask for more mortar action out on the northern plain for both allied and axis.  Nothing more fun than sprinting from cover to cover with explosions kicking off from left to right.  Allied armour is in thin supply relative to the axis panzer IVs.

I swapped a hurri b for a hurricane mk II d and added some 25pdrs / 3in mortars to the monastery and the forward spawn too - makes the axis rush over the over ground much more exciting!

really enjoy ESAI.  What's the setting of the RM mod - vanilla BF or something else?

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #188 on: 07-05-2011, 20:05:01 »
Hi there mutley,

Thanks for the feedback, it is very much appreciated. The strat changes in v 2.6.1b are minor, but were targeted specifically to address djinn's concerns about the game play. Please do snag the update and try it out.

I've already added AI spawns to every mortar I could find on the map, though I may have missed a few. Don't much know how else I can encourage bots to use them more.

RM is a modern warfare mod currently in development. A beta release is scheduled for sometime in August. If you want to learn more about it, you should check the project page on moddb. Let me go fetch the link...

Right right, here you go: RM at Moddb

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: 07-05-2011, 20:05:11 »
So good to hear.

Will test this out and give feedback. Don't worry about the time-split. You are doing us all a big favor. Beggars can't be choosers. Besides, with the maps we already have with ESAI, I think we have much...erm... testing to do to keep us busy.

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #190 on: 07-05-2011, 22:05:58 »
Since we are on the subject, I'll go ahead and divulge that for RM, I am working on custom AI for a modified version of Gulf of Oman 64. I will need to finish that before I do my next FH2 level.

I know we kindof agreed that Tunis should be next, however, I visited the FH2 SP Bug Tracker Google code page yesterday, and saw an issue (#29) submitted about incorrect CO orders on Bardia 64. Consequently, I fired up FH2 and loaded the map.

I am a little confused, because the issue on the bug tracker made it sound like the typical problem found in most push mode maps. However, My FH2 install only has a 16 player version of Bardia, and it doesn't seem to have a push mode. (I could be wrong; I am tired).

Anyways, where is this 64 player version of Bardia that has the "Push" game mode?

I should like to make it my next FH2 target. If the AI commander on that map is buggered enough for someone to submit it as an issue, then I feel like it is worth my attention. A day's coding, and that is one issue at least that could easily have its status changed to "resolved".

Someone please advise.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: 07-05-2011, 22:05:37 »
The official Bardia only has a 16size map. However, a beta done years ago - the 16-size of which is what you see ingame, exists here: http://www.filefront.com/user/mydjinny

It has the same link as the Olympus. It is however only SP, and not COOP. I would actually really appreciate it if you could tweak it so that it had COOP also - As I understand it, it is more of an instruction thing, than doing navmeshes from scratch for COOP

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #192 on: 07-05-2011, 23:05:49 »
No problem adding coop support. I just did, actually.

Any map that supports SP will support Coop - you just have to add the gpo and \ai folders from the sp version to the gpm_coop folder, and then edit the level's \Info\(mapname.desc) file to point to the added mode.

I also opened up 'mapdata.py' to check the flag push order. What I found is that this map doesn't have a Push mode at all, so I am unsure now about the issue posted on the bug tracker. I'll check that later tonight if I get a chance.

So it is still up in the air regarding which map gets ESAI-d next, but I will start my next FH2 level soon. If I start working on Tunis rather than Bardia, I will go ahead and post the coop-enabled version of Bardia 64 for you guys to use in the meantime.

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #193 on: 08-05-2011, 22:05:46 »
I have worked on Bardia. I didn't feel like it needed a custom strategy as it seems a fairly straightforward map, and has no Push mode.

Here is what I changed:

- Fixed "Spawns of Death" at  Italian barracks  (64 size)
- Fixed Bot trapping spawns at Italian barracks (64 size)
- Corrected two-way neighbor to uncappable flag (64-size)
- Moved the Strategic Areas to the correct layer (64-size)
- Enabled Coop support (64 & 16 size)
- Hooked all SP and COOP game modes to ESAI
- Removed MD5 checksum file

16 player size is using ESAI default "smallMap" strategy set
64 player size is using ESAI user "smallFCA" strategy set

Get it Here

The download is not a patch kit; it is the entire map (client/server/info). I may add it to a future ESAI:FH2 map pack release, but am waiting to finish Tunis before compiling next map pack.

Download, test, enjoy.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: 08-05-2011, 23:05:04 »
DLing... Will give feedback once I play it. Its almost 10:00 here - so I think I will have to do this some time tomorrow.

Also noted something with Gazala. Firstly, great work on the maps. I note that, more than previous ESAI, the bots seem to respond to commander orders alot quicker - and strategy is clearer

However, Gazala's issue is that it should be a highly mechanized battle with infantry heavily mounted on armor, bailing at the flag and assaulting the boxes.

Its tricky since it relies on both bot AI and map strategy.

The former is out of our hands, but I'm wondering if we can't tweak ai strategy a bit. Currently, it seems that bots keep coming off the boxes. Perhaps the strategic areas need to be rebalanced a bit. The main force on both sides need to come from their main bases, while only small numbers of troops spawn at the bases. It would probably help if Gazala could have all static positions as spawns so that once the AA, AT guns and such are occupied, bots will be able to defend themselves without the need of roamers. That way, the battle will be between armor and static guns, with infantry bailing armor once it gets close to cap the flag.

Its a bit of theory, but with current strategic areas having infantry pouring off the capped box and moving at snail's pace to the next base - most invariably being cut down by the few armor they encounter, this theory might just make the gameplay more challenging - even for defenders.

But its not a big priority - as the map plays decently for the time being.