Author Topic: EXPERIMENTAL AI SOLUTIONS FOR SP/COOP (Community effort)  (Read 61815 times)

Offline Devilman

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
Re: The Single Player Fan Project: Work to be done and feedback
« Reply #120 on: 21-01-2011, 12:01:45 »
Then it doesn't take a rocket-scientist to know that its daft to lock a vehicle to keep bots on it using a technique that makes that vehicle a flytrap for human players.

Then why does FH2 and AIX (Clivewils mod) have stationary weapons which are cloned with no exit code,to stop bots exiting them,and have the word AI in their name

Maybe you should tell them they did it wrong, and you know better then them

Just out of curiosity Djinn,how many mod teams have you coded for ?

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 21-01-2011, 12:01:22 »
oh, but they did. That was 2.0 solution. Remick04 changed that so we have stationary guns that don't require humans getting stuck to have bots camp them.

The _ai artillery is the way it is so that bots have special vehicles with raised perspective since that's the only way we've found out to make them fire at ranges beyond their visual distance... Did I say, that raised perspective was my idea?

I'm not arguing that you don't have skill, I'm saying you are cocky, and because of that your code thus far has been of little use to anyone here. You don't put it in a form that we can use in the Fh2 build, you don't explain how the code works to help us understand what the fix was, or how remick can translate that into his code, and you don't take suggestions.

Making an mg or AT guns such that if a human sits on it, he gets stuck is NOT a solution we'd accept for FH2 - fullstop.
« Last Edit: 21-01-2011, 12:01:22 by djinn »

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #122 on: 26-01-2011, 19:01:35 »
I've got a little more now. IDEA !  ;D ... It seems so obvious now, but suppression can be achieved by altering the basic bullet projectile to spawn the same sphere as the AI smokescreen fix does (BTW I tested the N@W smokescreen version and it works in N@W). This would then block bot vision just as the screen distortion FX do for us. Would probably need tuning like the sphere size and lifetime of the model.

Question: (I'll try and start a separate thread eventually) ... There are two sets of smoke grenade templates in objects_server.zip AND objects_weapons_server.zip. Related ? Is there an overall definition for smoke used by everything else that uses smoke ? Guess I find some of this out myself but any help appreciated as this is all quite new to me.
« Last Edit: 26-01-2011, 19:01:49 by DJ Barney »

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 31-01-2011, 19:01:29 »
Yes,its a bit of a mess
stationary guns given helicopter strategy types  ::)

I know this was posted  a while ago, but I just wanted to clear this up - stationary guns (and light vehicles, jeeps etc.) don't use the Helicopter strategy/behaviour types, they just use the Helicopter "AI armour flag". The AI armour flag (setStrType) just tells bots what type of armour a target has, so they know what weapons they can fire at it. The BF2 engine has 6 different settings for this - infantry, light armour, heavy armour, naval armour, plane and helicopter. NavalArmour and Helicopter are unused in FH2 so I used them to represent very heavily armoured tanks (Matilda, Tiger etc.) and unarmoured vehicles/guns respectively - this allows a number of improvements to AI weapon use, such as using HE shells on stationary guns and special AP shells against heavy tanks

It does look a bit odd having guns and jeeps specified as "helicopter", but it definitely doesn't make them behave like helicopters!

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 31-01-2011, 22:01:32 »
Don't need to indulge him. We all perfectly understood why you did it. Some 'developers' are too conservative to appreciate novel tactics, otherwise expecting everyone to read from the same lousy songsheet.

FH2 has better AI than any other BF2 mod I know, so...

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #125 on: 02-02-2011, 13:02:24 »
On an unrelated issue. I had a bugtracker setup last year for a brief period that I could setup again. Would this be helpful to unofficially track SP bugs and issues (which tend to get spread around the forum) or does FH Dev Team methods suffice at the moment ?

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 02-02-2011, 14:02:57 »
I know Drawde and especially remick crack bugs good... But it seems to me to be a seek-and-destroy, and sometimes its hard to find what they're looking for - Even with community effort, it sometimes eludes us.

The last bug was that of the CTD on Purple Heart Lane and that took forever till Devilman diagnosed it.

Contact remick04 specifically in PM about this. But it might be something any independent AI modder might find worth their while - Drawde, Aserafimov, Devilman...

Offline Devilman

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 05-02-2011, 03:02:08 »
The last bug was that of the CTD on Purple Heart Lane and that took forever till Devilman diagnosed it.

Contact remick04 specifically in PM about this. But it might be something any independent AI modder might find worth their while - Drawde, Aserafimov, Devilman...

But it might be something any independent AI modder might find worth their while - Drawde, Aserafimov,

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 05-02-2011, 11:02:45 »
???

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #129 on: 12-02-2011, 19:02:27 »
Tanks. I assume online players work with the tanks to protect them from AT soldiers. Of course the AI just run off which is one of the reasons that tanks don't last long in SP. A quick check on BFSP does not show up a way to make the AI prefer targeting a particular class (AT) so I don't know if it's possible.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 12-02-2011, 19:02:02 »
Nope sadly

the plan was using the tank modified code, to make tanks stand and fire rather than always firing at a gallop

And that HAS improved coordination a bit cuz tanks actually linger behind

The independent dev who created it unfortunately is MIA. He had a hardisk crash some time back, dissapeared, came back, said he'd get on it and take a look, then dissapeared again

Problem was, he used to hang around the BFSP forum which, for FH2, is dead. But we do have some of his code still ingame for infantry, but more importantly, tanks

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #131 on: 12-02-2011, 20:02:38 »
He he. Didn't know that was in there for AI tanks, are you saying that feature is actually in there ? I tend to rush forward in a tank and pay the price as a consequence. Just been reading about tank tactics which basically means staying behind the infantry.

I'm getting closer to an issue/bug tracker. ATM either MantisBT on my site or Google Code. Makes increasingly more sense to have the issues / features listed which are hard to know unless you have been tracking the forum for months.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 29-03-2011, 15:03:12 »
Well, so these are prevailing issues I want us to focus on...

1/ Changing AI strategic Areas to have them spawn on stationary gun positions first, THEN having floaters look for vehicles, THEN having the rest remain infantry. Even if the AI isn't perfect, static positions work as defensive wall. Everything from mortars, howitzers, AT guns, mgs and AA... all these need to be have bots able to spawn on them. Especially those which are off the navmesh or away from the current spawn areas. Think of all the mgs on PHL for instance.

2/ Changing GPO files to include static At guns where there are mobile ones for positions that dont need mobile guns, eg. all guns on Villers bocage (Already done this one), mersa Matru, Totalize, Mareth Line etc....

3/ Change AI code for Crusader AA and quad.5o to fire at aircrafts

4/ Have US 50mm AT gun use PAK40 code, rather than 6pdr code. the 50mm has HE also.

5/ Solve the AT rifleman not proning, and improve mg42/34 so that they fire from further  - They get too close to fire, which leaves them vulnerable, and they still keep trying to fire standing, making them idle. Well done, they should be a ble to stay proned and cover an assault until its through before moving up.

6/ See if we can't get the Grant and Sherman NA to fire HE instead of mg... Allies need that.

7/ germans don't use gabeltladung AT ALL.

8/ Further tweak to bots with smoke. I want them to toss it and forget it, I dont want them to need to toss it on the enemy tank, but toss it on seeing the enemy tank... hmm, wonder if they can't be made to heal themselves or use binocs too?

9/ Still want to see if howitzers can't be made to fire even further.

10/ I'm certain something has changed on op. Goodwood. You seldom even see German tanks crossing the rail anymore. I think this map totally needs a redo of AI especially around the rails and fenced off area to get german tanks charging across it, or it may be something change in the current tank AI

Now here's the problem. A year ago, we had a solid team. now, we have at least 2 navmeshes available to us, whereas then we have barely one, had Remick not come to save our bacon. But we don't have a single active AI person... at least none who can toe the line.

I saw Drawde some time back online, is he still around. Cuz I reallly could use him on this...

ALSO, I am convinced ESAI does make a significant difference. Remick04, if you see this, i really think you want to get Void on this for the official thing.

The only maps that have flags bypassed or the enemy capture flags behind enemy lines and get the commander to realize this flag needs to be retaken are those with Void's ESAI. Clearly, this improved AI should br a worthy addition to the game.

Some of these, Remick amy aware...maybe even fixed, but

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #133 on: 29-03-2011, 20:03:55 »
Can you enter these into the tracker as issues ?

One I need to enter is bots firing bolt action rifles from the hip ... maybe player animations do this anyway ... not sure if they do or not.

I'm progressing on my smoke grenade fix (adding the screen to bot vision). I'm tearing apart the template in my struggle to combine templates and keep the core FH code intact.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 29-03-2011, 20:03:55 »
Ya, firing from the hip is an issue. For some reason only the g43 is fired correctly from time to time.

I took a look and I really dont know how to use the tracker. Could you help me figure it out. I'll take another look today though.