Author Topic: Revolting Uniting  (Read 305281 times)

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
Re: Revolting Uniting
« Reply #660 on: 21-05-2012, 11:05:34 »
Wow, looks amazing !

Are that fishfarms in the foreground ? :D

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
« Reply #661 on: 21-05-2012, 12:05:14 »
Are you still working on it Zeno?  :D
Hey, huge ass .gif signatures are totally unnecessary and obnoxious. Not these anymore, thankyouverymany kkbyethx love you, all the homo. -Flippy

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
« Reply #662 on: 21-05-2012, 12:05:21 »
Oh yeah also, my Province just passed a law that can put me in jail for inciting people to manifest, even through social networks. So we can't post events and board messages saying to people "Go protest on May 22!"

Also tomorrow's protest will be freaking huge.
Hey, huge ass .gif signatures are totally unnecessary and obnoxious. Not these anymore, thankyouverymany kkbyethx love you, all the homo. -Flippy

Offline Zeno

• View Profile
« Reply #663 on: 21-05-2012, 13:05:03 »
Wow, looks amazing !

Are that fishfarms in the foreground ? :D

yes, we have thousands of those fishfarms dotted along the coastline, giving us fish that we can sell to japan  ::)

They sure love Norwegian salomon ;D

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
« Reply #664 on: 21-05-2012, 14:05:35 »
The map Zeno, is there any progress  ???

Offline Zeno

• View Profile
« Reply #665 on: 21-05-2012, 14:05:31 »
The map Zeno, is there any progress  ???

ahh, you mean Cold Response?

its been in the cold (pun intended) since last year, but i intend to finish it whenever i get the time  ;)

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
« Reply #666 on: 21-05-2012, 18:05:52 »
Yes, been waiting for my WiC dose now. While Saarema did bring a nice WiC feel, it needed BlackHawks :(

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: 21-05-2012, 22:05:57 »
Oh yeah also, my Province just passed a law that can put me in jail for inciting people to manifest, even through social networks. So we can't post events and board messages saying to people "Go protest on May 22!"

Also tomorrow's protest will be freaking huge.

What a total load of bullshit you are telling us,

CEGEP students are bombing subways, shutting down entire schools, terrorizing student's and professor's and yet, you make it sound like the Quebec government has a boot to your neck.  Due to the extreme cost of school in British Columbia, I have no sympathy whatsoever for Quebecker's and their outrageous demands for subsidized school costs.

Try and pay for one semester in Ontario or in BC and every single Quebec student would shut the fuck up for eternity (6000 Dollars for one semester @ UBC makes McGill look like a dollar store). These protests are symptomatic of a much larger problem within Quebec and that is simply the fact that your expectations are no longer grounded in a fiscal reality. Quebecker's bitch about reasonable accomodation, yet they won't even act rationally or even pretend towards fiscal responsibility.

I love Quebec but I seriously hate the "welfare mentality" that kills the province, its' ingenuity, and its' prominence in the world at large.
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline Smiles

• FH-Betatester
  • Boooo Auto-Spot! Booo
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: 21-05-2012, 22:05:27 »
Mind telling to full story before starting a personal crusade  ;)?
I'm taking my own freedom
puttin' it in my song
singing loud and strong
proving all day long
I'm takin' my freedom
puttin' it in my stroll
I'll be hop-steppin' y'all
lettin' the joy unfold

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: 21-05-2012, 22:05:13 »
Try and pay for one semester in Ontario or in BC and every single Quebec student would shut the fuck up for eternity (6000 Dollars for one semester @ UBC makes McGill look like a dollar store). These protests are symptomatic of a much larger problem within Quebec and that is simply the fact that your expectations are no longer grounded in a fiscal reality. Quebecker's bitch about reasonable accomodation, yet they won't even act rationally or even pretend towards fiscal responsibility.
Any higher education (in Finland) costs me the books required + nothing else (minus living expenses payed by the government), yet it is one of the least in-debt countries in the EU + best educated + in the top 10 in freedom of press in the world.

Well educated citizens = prosperity.
« Last Edit: 21-05-2012, 22:05:51 by Paasky »
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline Zeno

• View Profile
« Reply #670 on: 21-05-2012, 22:05:22 »

Well educated citizens = prosperity.

same here in Norway, wonder why its so hard to have the same system in other countries  ::)

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: 21-05-2012, 23:05:01 »
Summer is nice and all, but there are few drawbacks. Or actually one.

Sleeping.

It is just too bloody warm in my bedroom. Today was sunny day and "only" +26°C, but at the moment the temperature inside is +27°C. A bit too much for me. All the windows are open but it doesn't really all that much. Nice bonus, though, is the huge bird cherry tree just outside my window. The scent here is fabulous. Should get a mosquito net or something though. Because the windows are open, everything smaller than a lark gets in.

Should probably get some curtains too. It's now midnight, but the sun is lurking just below the horizon, ready to pounce on me in few hours.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: 22-05-2012, 00:05:52 »
Mind telling to full story before starting a personal crusade  ;)?
No crusade here man, just responding to a bullcrap assertion that was made. (for the record, I am a proud Canadian and Quebecker, my family history in Quebec started in 1642 and I truly have no claim to being from anywhere else)

Anyhoo, short version...
 The province of Quebec (CANADA), struggling under a massive debt load, has recently enacted legislation which is intended to recover more of the costs associated with providing higher learning at the Post-Secondary level.

As proposed, the provincial government wishes to increase tuition on a very gradual basis (40% over 7 years as recently negotiated, which works out to approximately 400 dollars per year) in order to provide greater capital, infrastructural improvement, increase retention of professor's and essentially make student's more responsible for the costs of receiving a high quality education.

The problem in Quebec resides mostly with the fact that this "higher education" is not actually resulting in any long term benefit to the Quebec economy (let alone that of Canada). Quebec's GDP is dropping, wages are decreasing and student's are not applying their studies to relevant fields of employment. (eg: pursuit of degree's for personal satisfaction like getting a master's in poetry so you can work in a coffee shop)

personal anecdote: Doctors in Quebec are so short staffed that retirement is not even an option. In Laval (suburb of Montreal) ,where my family is, my grandparent's doctor at the age of 68 is still practicing because his children (who are both doctor's) both enjoyed 100% subsidized education in Quebec and then moved to New York and Saskatchewan to make more money and work less. While only 1 example, this does speak volumes of the reality that Quebec faces.

With a downward demographic trend (in terms of population), this situation is becoming increasingly severe as costs rise to provide education to a dwindling population that is not returning a significant economic benefit to the province itself.

As a direct comparison, after all tuition increases, Quebec student's will still enjoy the lowest rates in North America and will tend to graduate with extremely low debt associated with their education. On top of this, Quebec has a low cost of living and provides decent social services, yet these student's will raise hell about paying a little more to enjoy a privilege that can not be shared amongst all Canadian's.

this issue has been pervasive for decades as the Quebec population has fostered a sense of entitlement that far exceeds their means. For too long, the previous generations of Quebecker's have burdened their offspring with major debts and it has now reached the point of no return. If no action is taken immediately, there will be no CEGEP (post secondary system) for future generation's.

essentially,  Quebec is to Canada as Greece is to the European Union.   While somewhat rhetorical in my statement, the economic reality of Quebec is becoming increasingly dire. Without action now, the economic future of Quebec is unsustainable and will result in even more draconian measures that will be even further widespread amongst the entire population of Quebec.

I fully support universal access to education but only on the grounds that the education is relevant to the needs of the population and within Quebec there is virtually no application of this basic concept. I know many of you are resident's of the Nordic countries but it must be understood that certain constructs are not easily translated across borders and social values. With the expectation of social values, there is a tandem responsibility to act accordingly social but the general sentiment in North America (let alone Quebec) is that every man must earn his keep and not be expected to provide for others'.

Additionally, there are certain economies of scale that the European countries can employ that are not available within a large country like Canada (let alone the massive taxation that is incurred in order to provide this "free education")

Quebec student's own Ipod's, brand new Mac computers, have high speed internet, and drive around in their car but resent paying a little more for not only their own future, but the future well-being of the province that they claim to love.

This story will play out like every other social transition in Quebec's history. the calamity will die once this current generation gets privileges that they will not give to their very own children.

Nuff said, Sheikyerbouti out    "Je me souviens"

My Quebec includes Canada

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: 22-05-2012, 00:05:54 »
yes, we have thousands of those fishfarms dotted along the coastline, giving us fish that we can sell to japan  ::)

They sure love Norwegian salomon ;D

Predator fishes being fed with fishmeal, produced from fishes caught in the southern pacific. We humans just feed fish we do not like to eat to these fishes that we do like to eat. That is so clever, we can now carry on another 50 years until all those fishes we do not like will have been wiped out as well. Meanwhile those fishes in norway will shit the heck into those norwegian fjords until they turn into a sewer. But who cares, I'm dead in 50 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2ZufwW1f7U
« Last Edit: 22-05-2012, 00:05:59 by Dukat »

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
« Reply #674 on: 22-05-2012, 00:05:23 »
It's cool, so because they pay higher over there, we should pay higher too right? It's a step backward. Seriously, rising tutions fees while there's so much more to raise fees and taxes at?

They got scorpions in Australia, so we should not complain about mosquitos right? What a flawed logic. Why should our fees be raised while it will only bring 1.2% more money to the Education Minister? Charest could make a shitload more money if he upped redevences on private corportaions, or make state corporations like Hydro-Québec and Loto-Québec that would mine our iron instead of chinese doing it for a low price? It's simple, it's easier for Charest to put money in his OWN pockets with private corps.

Also the new Law 78 is the thing that will upset most citizens in the following days/months. I can get fees for inciting people to go to a protest. The Ministre de l'Éducation, maam Courcshene also gets full power.

"9. Pour assurer la mise en oeuvre des articles 2 et 4 à 8, le gouvernement, sur la recommandation du ministre de l’Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport, peut prendre toutes les mesures nécessaires, notamment prévoir les dispositions législatives et réglementaires qui ne s’appliquent pas et prévoir toute autre adaptation nécessaire aux dispositions de la présente loi ainsi qu’aux dispositions de toute autre loi et de ses textes d’application."

"9. To assure the execution of articles 2 and 4 to 8, the governement, on the recommandation of the Minister of Education, of Loisir et du Sport, can take all necessary measures, notably to anticipate the legislatives dispositions and reglementations that do not apply and to anticipate any other necessary adaptations to the dispositions of the current law and also to all dispositions of any other law and of it's application texts"

So yeah, they can change some of our currents laws to apply articles 2, 4 to 8.

But coming from Sheikyourbouti, the guy owning a corporation and selling cars to stupid europeans I don't see how you would support a movement against the current corrupted governement. So people are talking about free scholarship, personally, I just want it to be back to what it was, as in, what students were protesting first. But with the recent police abuse this is going to grow over all the population :

Want to see police brutality, and that BEFORE the law was passed? Just go ahead :

Here, one man threw insults and a can to the officers, so of course it was justified from those officers to spray pepper all over the bar and to throw gas in the bar :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-m6F0lFsyg

The man lost tons of money and lots of people went without paying, who did the damage? Officers, so yes it will sue them.

Protests over the different months and police brutality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL1Gd1qjqEg&list=FLUS1vafnI5v2Jtm1qubZYrA&index=3&feature=plpp_video