Poll

How do you get along with the removed cross hairs?

I use hardware aid to replace it.
0 (0%)
I use software tool/settigns to replace it.
0 (0%)
I did nothing because I know exactly and without aids where the center of my monitor is ingame.
29 (50.9%)
I did nothing and my hit rate deteriorated at first.
12 (21.1%)
Else: explained your post.
16 (28.1%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: 23-02-2012, 20:02:24

Author Topic: How do you get along with the removed cross hairs?  (Read 2487 times)

Offline dead_man1876

• View Profile
Re: How do you get along with the removed cross hairs?
« Reply #15 on: 10-02-2012, 00:02:44 »
Personally I miss them and would like to have them back, at least as an option. Perhaps the devs wanted to be fair to anyone and force all to accept it, that's why it's not optional.
But crosshairs can be replaced by low technical means without painting or sticking sth. on the monitor. I'm not such a hardcore gamer to use them though. I was sincere and voted 4.

And yes I too can't always estimate the center correctly but with SMGs that's not a problem, the spread is your friend!
Clear and sincere, Thank you LuckyOne!
« Last Edit: 10-02-2012, 03:02:26 by dead_man1876 »

Offline kingtiger1891

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10-02-2012, 00:02:43 »
I remember that's a v2.2 video, where there is a crosshair, not some special software aid.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10-02-2012, 00:02:12 »
Not so fast. They still do one shot kill. The advantage is supposed to be your ability to fire successively even if you miss, but 1S1k still works for people will naturally good aim.

Some people can gauge the center of the screen better than others.

Games generally dont properly represent hand-eye coordination. That's what the crosshair is for.

I think it was a mistake that it got taken away. I did better as an SMGer and shotgunner.
Now I mostly just injure them and they still kill me.

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10-02-2012, 07:02:40 »
Not so fast. They still do one shot kill. The advantage is supposed to be your ability to fire successively even if you miss, but 1S1k still works for people will naturally good aim.

Some people can gauge the center of the screen better than others.

Games generally dont properly represent hand-eye coordination. That's what the crosshair is for.

I think it was a mistake that it got taken away. I did better as an SMGer and shotgunner.
Now I mostly just injure them and they still kill me.

Yesterday while playing giarabub, I dont think I got ever killed by rifle in close quarters. Sometimes surely on open big areas around mosque, but never on less than about 10 meters. And yes I used thompson.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10-02-2012, 08:02:04 »
then you must generally have great hand eye coordination.

The crosshair was there for that, to make anyone, not just those naturally gifted, able to have ingame hand-eye coordination.

I maintain that the crosshair was of no more an advantage to riflemen than it was to smgs at close range.

You still had your single shot, you still had slower rate of fire, and like everyone else, your crosshair was not squeezed for perfect aim.

If it eint broke, imo, dont fix it.

Its why we get plane physics moving from good, to bad, to worse, to great, to terrible...
Don't change things unless its a problem or general consensus it that it is. Polls are important.

And have a mod identity. Not everything should be up for re-evaluation. Crosshairs shouldn't be, neither should flag capping or kill messages.

Otherwise long time fans like us WILL leave. I play Forgotten Hope, not some random WWII shooter. If this mod stops being Forgotten Hope, we walk.

If you haven't done already, stop and try and figure out the identity of the mod. Its NEVER going to be Crysis or COD, and it shouldn't

Offline Atkins

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10-02-2012, 09:02:47 »
Why so biased poll options?

Just use ironsights when possible and when shooting from the hip, well u just have to learn how to do it, just like in every other game out there without crosshairs.
Djinn, u don't have to be naturally gifted to shoot from hip, you learn it by iteration, just like in every other game.

Ps. I suck at shooting from the hip atm and I am okey with it, it just makes me wanna practice more and not to have some artificial help.

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10-02-2012, 09:02:27 »

Otherwise long time fans like us WILL leave. I play Forgotten Hope, not some random WWII shooter. If this mod stops being Forgotten Hope, we walk.

I consider myself a "long time fan" and must admit that I´ve actually stopped playing FH2 in favour for another WW2 modification. So don´t generalise "long time fans like us" and what would make them leave FH2.

Anyway, the time I´ve played FH2 without crosshairs, my aim didn´t really go down. If you don´t keep on pressing "left click" in CQB with a SMG and pump out one long salvoe, but instead fire short bursts, you´ll still keep enemy riflemen at bay.
Virtual "hand-eye-coordination" in FH2 isn´t that difficult and after some try-and-error it´s quite easy to learn, especially if you know how certain weapons behave.

Crosshairs are IMHO an additional thing that cluster the screen and I´m glad they were removed. And looking at the poll so far it doesn´t look like there´s much oposition to their removal.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline dead_man1876

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10-02-2012, 10:02:06 »
^ the poll is not for or against it but how you deal with it.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10-02-2012, 10:02:16 »
Yes, but the data does support what homer_jay said.

Well, i guess I fall more in the category of Jumjum, Stylie and co. A different dying breed :(
We got used to FH1, happy to see an improved version in FH2, welcomed the initial changes that defined its gameplay, but no longer see much Forgotten Hope in its direction.

But just an opinion

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10-02-2012, 11:02:48 »
^ As far as I loved FH1 I always thought it to be a bit too "arcadish". It seemed like that because of engine limits I guess... Now FH 2 simply looks beautiful and plays much less "arcadish"... And I still love FH1 because of it's legacy and tons of content and the fun it provides when I just want to "shoot some stuff with all those WWII toys" but I would never trade that for the quality of FH2.

FH 2 sucks you in and makes you cooperate with your team (most of the time). It makes you fight for those flags like never before. It makes you say "oh shit there's a Tiger coming here, can the Beaufighter take it out?" while I never got those feelings in FH1...

Maybe because I hooked up on it pretty late and all the cool people already left when I got into it? Maybe because the lack of built-in VOIP was a pain as you had to type everything. Maybe because there was almost always another tank waiting for you if you managed to blow yourself up? I don't know really...

I miss FH 1 for it's content that's for sure, but in FH 2 I get thrills just by playing a regular infantry man in a good squad.
« Last Edit: 10-02-2012, 11:02:05 by LuckyOne »
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10-02-2012, 11:02:26 »
When the crosshair was removed, my accuracy did suffer a bit in CQB. But nowadays, I can confidently fire from the hip with SMG's at close distances. And I certainly don't want the crosshair back, because it allowed some really ridiculous mid-range kills that should not have been possible when firing from the hip. Also, now there's a reason to use the ironsights of a SMG sometimes, with the crosshair there really wasn't any.

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10-02-2012, 12:02:59 »
Not to be a smartass or anything, but I seriously hadn't noticed the crosshair was gone (or remember it was there in the first place). Guess I always used ironsights when I shoot so I apparently don't miss it at all.

Plus, I don't get Djinn's viewpoint: you're all for immersion and game-identity (and don't want CoD gameplay), but you do want some artifical aid to make you shoot from the hip? Because you got used to it, it belongs with the game? How is that not more arcade-y?

I get that people want it back so they can play better, but out of historically correctness/realism (ie. FH's identity) it shouldn't been there in the first place.
FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline dead_man1876

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10-02-2012, 21:02:09 »
I hope that accuracy was decreased on mid range while moving and firing from the hip. Then nobody would need cross hairs any more.

Offline DAzLAYER

• [DLF] Leader
    • View Profile
    • [DenLedeFi]
« Reply #28 on: 11-02-2012, 10:02:07 »
My accuracy went down alot. Not because I fire much from the hip but because I always "snap shoot", meaning I don't look for ironsights. I look for the distance between center of the screen to where i am aiming and use muscle memory to get on target from there. I often fire before iron sights are fully up. So when crosshairs were removed it made things harder for me, but I have gotten used to it now.

Offline Darman

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 11-02-2012, 12:02:05 »
I chose "else" although "I did nothing because" would also match. I personally love the HUD of Fh2. I like to shoot from the hip with a tommy gun or mp40 without a crosshair and of course I aim with the carbines. It's just way more realistic. It's awesome. However, the hit indicator must stay.

The only thing I'd like to see changed in at least all bf2 Mods is the messages. Kill messages are too colorful, but I can ignore them. What i can't ignore is the "You recieved a new order from you're squadleader" filling half of my screen.

Anyway, to come back to the crosshairs, its perfect the way it is now. Don't change it.