Author Topic: Change The HUD  (Read 3427 times)

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
Re: Change The HUD
« Reply #30 on: 09-02-2012, 14:02:45 »
How did this turn into a discussion of removing DM's? I thought the issue was the quite redundant hit indicator instead?

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09-02-2012, 15:02:36 »
It started on one thing, went on to hit indicator, then now its moved to DMs.

Its all under the HUD.

I personally think Fh2 gameplay works with:
1. Minimap
2. Capture car
3. Compass
4. Team Frag
5. Kill messages
6. Hit indicator.
7. .. I would even add crosshair, although I understand why that was removed... I still think guns are too inaccurate to merit the removal first.

Its a balance between the feel of WWII and an arcade shooter. Let's not focus on the little aspects, let's see the fact that it all works within the game's goal.

Offline dead_man1876

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09-02-2012, 15:02:22 »
The messages could be changed in "you got killed by 'weaponname'" and completely remove "you killed x". I never look at the white messages, I only look at the weapon that killed me, because I cannot feel it (and would not like to).
But the hit indicator is badly needed for long range weapons like AA and tanks where you don't always have an impact animation like smoke or particles (even when hitting the ground, you could see sth. in RL and adjust your aim, so hit indicator must stay as long as we don't have any other visual and audible feedback.). At close combat you would see the holes in the enemy's uniform which you don't see in FH2 so here the hit indicator is also ok as a substitute. Don't remove the hit indicator! And bring back the cross hair because I neither like to place a dot on my monitor nor have a disadvantage to the ones who do it. And yes change the accuracy instead of removing the cross hair.

Offline Atkins

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09-02-2012, 17:02:50 »
OP's idea was to make the HUD more minimal and now we are getting requests to add more stuff to it. How did that happen :D

Seriously, the removal of crosshair was a big plus to the game. Crosshair is old school. If someone wants to put piece of gum to their monitor, then let them. The change to non-crosshair game was fluid and I could imagine that most ppl received it quite well. At least I haven't seen any "OMG bring back the xhair, I dunno how to shoot any more"-topics.

Why fill the screen with artificial stuff, it just reduces the absolute beauty of the game itself. You appreciate more the detailed graphics when there are not all those whatnot crosses and indicators blocking it.

I am not really still getting the hit-cross argument when u have the enemy at sight. Even if u get the indicator, and you don't kill the enemy, you will shoot him again and again, til he dies, right? What difference is there if you don't get the indicator. Will you suddenly stop shooting? This shouldn't be such a gameplay changing alteration as most of you imagine.

Crosshair is history, hopefully next to go will be the hit-cross (leave it for vehicles to ease the transition), and redundant text messages. I can imagine that ppl are just as used to minimap as they are to DMs. It is a shame cos that minimap hogs so much of the beauty behind it. And once again I can totally understand why ppl want to keep it. It has been so long there that it is part of the game for most ppl and they can't see how the game could be played without. 

And stop saying that use the immersion-hud.txt. The minimap gives you so much edge in the game, be it screenhogging, that you have to have it if others have it as well just to keep up with them.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09-02-2012, 22:02:23 »
You all act like the hit indicator is only there for infantry. And it's not. I'm really glad there is a hit indicator for vehicles. And new players must be happy about it too. 100s of times players ask ingame if they can do damage with x weapon to y vehicle. All I (you, we) have to tell them is "if you see hit indicator, you hit and do damage, if you don't, you didn't hit or do any damage". Easy as that. It is helpful, imo.

Offline dead_man1876

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09-02-2012, 22:02:25 »
One more proposal: suppress the print and audio of "enemy spotted". It's spam. And I kindly ask anybody to spot only with sth. that creates a red marker on the map or to shut up because anything else is almost useless and additionally gives away your position.
And another point: to place the commo "table" at the bottom was a good idea but why using a table which is slower to navigate than the rose?

@Atkins: I proposed to remove "you killed x" and "y [weapon] x" and only put "you got killed with [weapon]". This would remove a lot of text. Why didn't you say anything about that?
Oh you know that devs and community is behind you because the decision was taken and implemented so let's punch the noob in to the ground. No problem, I opened a poll about it to get even more punches, it's only virtually and I enjoy the free speech.

And one more: in these few days that I joined this forum I read a lot and I got the impression that some people would like FH2 to become something like a movie. OK, then I think that i will have to look for a game to play.
« Last Edit: 09-02-2012, 23:02:40 by dead_man1876 »

Offline Atkins

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 10-02-2012, 10:02:48 »
Slayer, if you read more carefully the topic you see that a lot of ppl agree on keeping the hit-cross for vehicles, even I do.... well for now.

But I imagine that we all agree that the devs should try to build such a features to the game code itself so that we should not need artificial indicators, right? (check the DH video for such features)

DH (RO1 and RO2 as well) has done it quite well for vehicles. You get clear blonk-sound when there is no penetration and most of the time you see really well when the shell just bounces off, or it scatters and does no damage and when a penetration happens you hear it quite well and the enemy tank starts to emit more smoke/starts burning etc.
Check out this video from DH:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKEyLsOh_Uo
And pay attention to the sounds and visual effect for getting a penetration/not getting a penetration.

dead_man, i did not comment that specific suggestions cos I have no opinion about it. I consider myself still noob in FH2 as well and I as well get talked down when I try to suggest features that are present in more immersive ww2 games. It is normal that communities shunt away ideas which are not part of the consensus and are presented by who they consider outsiders.

Imo this thread was here to make the hud less like a pinball machine so that the beauty of the actual game would surface more and ppl would appreciate it more.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 10-02-2012, 18:02:07 »
Slayer, if you read more carefully the topic you see that a lot of ppl agree on keeping the hit-cross for vehicles, even I do.... well for now.
I read inf only stuff, except for Atkins above here, who says it should be kept for easier transition, that's why I posted this. So replace "all" with "all except Atkins" and we're good :)