Author Topic: Black screen/startup problem  (Read 6426 times)

Offline FORGOTTENKEVINOHOPE

• View Profile
Re: Grrrrrrr
« Reply #15 on: 02-09-2010, 09:09:49 »
tried again and all entry points to fh2 didnt work..  black screen

except the one inside the bf2 programs folder,  it crashed to desktop..

i agree it shouldnt make a difference which shortcut or icon i started fh2 from, but sometimes one will work, and the others dont..  lol

i tried the windowed mode, and it crashed to desktop,  report.

this is the line  -     "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\FH2.exe" +fullscreen 0

tried it again and it just does black screen,  but in windowed mode....
« Last Edit: 02-09-2010, 09:09:52 by FORGOTTENKEVINOHOPE »

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02-09-2010, 09:09:05 »
its after midnight here, im going to go bed,  thx for helping!  ill check back on here tomorrow, today,  whatever...

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02-09-2010, 09:09:41 »
At what point does the black screen appear? After loggin in to a server or at the start of the game?
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02-09-2010, 17:09:01 »
At what point does the black screen appear? After loggin in to a server or at the start of the game?

As soon as i double click the fh2 icon.

and i have to ctrl alt delete to get out of it.

when i do that bf2  is only using  50k or so of memory,   usually when its actually running and i check, bf2  is using 1000k + of memory,  its like bf2.exe just wont start up some times,  but then ill get like last night and it worked 2 times,  not back to back.   not sure why it would work sometimes, but not  others..  this is sooo strange!

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03-09-2010, 04:09:45 »
got home from work,  tried fh2,   desktop - blackscreen, start,allprograms, fh2 = black screen,  start, recent programs,fh2 = blackscreen      c: bf2 program file  fh2exe icon = crash to desktop and no black screen..

ate dinner, etc..etc.. came back 2 hrs later,  desktop fh2 shortcut - success!   and as i type this i am currently on wolf server ..

this is a strange bug/problem im having...

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03-09-2010, 08:09:57 »
so i played a few hours on wolf tonight, game played great (my score sure didnt show that though)

then at the end of cobra,  i got the  punkbstrb  heartbeats thingy i read about.

im going to try to start fh2 again.  ill let you know how it turns out!

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03-09-2010, 09:09:13 »
Now we are getting somewhere.
PB's heartbeat error is a good sign for an unstable internet connection, are you by any chance using a WLAN?

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03-09-2010, 09:09:07 »
Now we are getting somewhere.
PB's heartbeat error is a good sign for an unstable internet connection, are you by any chance using a WLAN?

yes, and no

this is what im using =  http://www.cityofsandy.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={E67C27EC-4AC9-4E4D-8C8C-334EAAF479F4}

i dont think this is my issue.  i needed to update my pb is all

but after those couple hours on wolf, now i cant start fh2 again :)   

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03-09-2010, 21:09:58 »
Restart your router and reboot the machine every time you've visited streaming sites like kino.to.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03-09-2010, 22:09:45 »
im pretty sure it has nothing to do with my internet.  laggy in game play = yeah i would believe it,  but not being able to start fh2 up from the shortcut doesn't sound like internet issues :)

got it to start up again late last night,  but when i got to the multiplayer  server screen,  durring  the auto refresh stage  (right after you click on multiplayer)   it froze the computer up,  had to shut computer off.

memory, or proccessor maybe?   

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 06-09-2010, 08:09:10 »
Sorry, I was away for the weekend.
Could be memory thing, but that would show as a crash error screen.
What are the specs for your PC?

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06-09-2010, 20:09:06 »
I have had trouble with this game/mod for the last month or so.

first off here are my specs

asus a8nsli deluxe mobo -  ive tried 2 different ones.   updated to most current bios
amd dual core 4200 +  -I have swapped out everything but the proccessor in this setup
ram -  2 gigs corsair ddr 400 - ive tried many different combos, hyper x, more corsair, less corsair....
vid card - evga 9800 gtx+
2 different hard drives, current one is brand new, and old one is now storage
currently windows xp sp3 -  but have had win 7, and windows xpsp2 previously installed on old hard drive.
MONITOR IS 24 INCH SCEPTRE LCD  1920X1200 60hz.

Here we go...

So i had been playing fh2 alot lately since the latest release came out, on my old system (not gonna type it out)     I decided to get the lcd monitor to ease my aging eyes...

I also got a different computer parts to upgrade.. (listed above)

so finished the upgrade build, had win 7 on it at the time. took it home and everything was working great!  played probably 3 nights worth,  about 6 hrs or so...    then the last night about 1.5hrs into it, i get a blue screen of death... most likely from the failed chipset fan (common problem with these mobos)     and thats where my nightmare began!

even on the freshly installed xpsp3 on a new hard drive, i install bf2,  3cd version..  restart comp.  install 1.41(downloaded 2 different times)  restart comp.  install 1.5 (downloaded 2 different times)  restart comp.   install 2.26 p1 & p2 (downloaded 2 different times)  restart computer

sometimes fh will open up on desktop icon,  but will only let me play single player.  sometimes is wont even open up. it will just go black screen.  sometimes it will crash bf2.exe alltogether...

i try opening up from the bf program file icons,  sometimes it will load up bf2,  and i can play that (like last night, played a couple rounds of blue pearl?  hated it)   sometimes that wont work either.  sometimes it lets me play fh singleplayer (but that sucks too, bots are no fun to kill)

the most common occurance is it stays black screen and i have to ctrl alt delete to close bf2.exe  to get it to go back to desktop...

i have uninstall/reinstall  about 10 times,  each time hoping this would be my trip home..  but alas  no deal.

i have sent in numerous bf2crash reports,  fh2 crash reports...  etc....

those are my specs ;)   btw i have played a few nights now,  but it usually takes about 8 black screens or crashes before fh2 finally opens up.   and then when i get to multiplayer, sometimes it freezes my entire computer up.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 06-09-2010, 21:09:58 »
those are my specs ;)   btw i have played a few nights now,  but it usually takes about 8 black screens or crashes before fh2 finally opens up.   and then when i get to multiplayer, sometimes it freezes my entire computer up.

Sorry missed those in the mass of info. Those two GB RAM aren't a lot though.
I'm still hinting at the your Internet, since community WLANs around here are prone to packet loss and result in bad connections.

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07-09-2010, 11:09:34 »
im pretty sure it has nothing to do with my internet.  laggy in game play = yeah i would believe it,  but not being able to start fh2 up from the shortcut doesn't sound like internet issues :)...
You may be surprised...

I had a small problem with BF2 giving me a black screen at startup...

The setup: Two PC's connected via a cross-over cable, with an ext. modem (with an on/off switch) plugged into one of them.

The problem: When I had both PC's turned on, I could only start BF2 on the PC with the modem. The other PC would just give me a black screen...unless I switched the modem on, then it'd start no problem... ???

What caused this, I couldn't tell ya. I tried getting to the bottom of it through much Google-ing and, heaven forbid, I even tried EA "Support", all to no avail.

I came to the conclusion that the game does some connection check during the initial startup and for some reason my setup was confusing it... :-\

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17-09-2010, 23:09:31 »
OK, after going over everything i could possibly think of. I found that i had connected my video card power cable also to my 2 dvd rom drives!    DOH!
It seems to be working great now     :o

Rookie mistake!   see you on the bf!