Author Topic: M1919A4 .30 cal effectiveness  (Read 2864 times)

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
Re: M1919A4 .30 cal effectiveness
« Reply #30 on: 11-05-2010, 22:05:41 »
I don't  think I've seen a single person on the these forums who doesn't love the old supression effect from 2.0....

The debate/moan-fest wasn't on this forum.

EDIT:  And it only trickled over into the old, FileFront forums, the main one was elsewhere.

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 11-05-2010, 22:05:44 »
For me an invisible shield is a bit unfair and would go the other way around. If I can lay a bullet on a guy I should be able to kill him. Players seeing their target open but immune to fire would be confused and confusion is b-a-d.

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 11-05-2010, 22:05:49 »
I don't think so. You'd still be able to hit his body (or at least parts of it) and from different angles than some 10-20° you'd even be able to score a headshot. The shield wouldn't be covering a big frickin 1 square meter or so, just the crucial part(s) directly in front of a soldier meaning that the Krauts with balls still would be able to somewhat get him head-on, but more likely with a god's blessing thus they'd think twice if they tried.

Also, yesterday I was playing Americans on PdH. The situation was that we were brutally camped by a fag with Lafette who was some 200 meters across an open field. While I tried to get him head-on for the first time, I realized that wouldn't work and tried to flank the bastard. On top of that, you can't exactly say that you can see a target with .30 cal  in the "open" ;) (Nor would you after implementation of this, see the first paragraph of this post)

Offline Flyboy1942

• AKA: Ghanrage
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11-05-2010, 23:05:07 »
Unfair? In which way it was "unfair"? Or is a meaning of the word "unfair" somehow escaping me? Damn... ???

Obviously it's unfair for the green player fresh from the screens of the latest blockbuster COD, who expects to advance under a hail of bullets and gloriously defeat his foes.

These are also the same people who use the phrase "balance" in a way that would give Germans an STG 44 class as an "assault" kit.

Personally, I play Forgotten Hope with the mindset of suppressive fire. Rounding a corner while emptying a drum of hot lead in the general forward direction does seem to be more effective, but only because the reckless player who tries to jump out an off you will most likely get a few doses of poisonous metal to the face.

At longer ranges is where the reckless player becomes an assassin with a deathwish. Whiping a strand of supersonic death over the position of a player provides the same incentive to hide behind a pitiful mound of dirt and sticks, contemplating the highlights of his life, as a cracking rawhide whip wielded by an unshaven archaeologist would. The player simply flops to the ground in beautiful FPS glory, instantly sees the player with the crackle toy, calmly aims across the clear, unobstructed battlefield, and gives that player a kiss from his service rifle.

Now, this might seem like a totally plausible scenario in that wonderful place we like to refer to as "Real Life™," but only if every soldier in a conflict was a perfectly fit sociopath with a blood lust, and the battlefield had been swept clean and manicured in anticipation of the big event. Otherwise, there would be crap all over the ground, and the machine gunner would be a concealed shadow behind a cackling dragon from some Eastern tale, the sight of which would immediately slap you into the ground with a fist of primal instict, long before you can form the thought: "hmm, I should stand still and carefully shoot at the area a meter or so behind the muzzleflash."

As it is now, unless you, the machine gunner, can paint the landscape with the soldier in your sights before, or immediately after he sees you (approximately .48 seconds after the first shot), then you are probably not going to stay a virgin for long, and your cherry is going to be popped all over that guy behind you.

From the perspective of gameplay, this sucks. You would be better off putting your MG in semiauto mode and taking shots like that, which would make it harder for them to find you, have little effect on your deadliness, and completely negate the entire purpose of the machine gun. How to fix this? Well, first and foremost is to ignore the incessant bitching from brats who think an MG nest is a target and not an obstacle/nightmare, second is to reinstate the suppression effect (our computers can handle it nowadays anyways), and third is to give deployable/stationary MGs a bit more cover seeing as the game engine wont provide this naturally.

With these three, easy steps, gameplay is shifted back to a more interesting and intense state, allowing the player base to figure out for themselves how to deal with a torrent of bullets in a way that wouldn't make a veteran shudder.
« Last Edit: 11-05-2010, 23:05:43 by Flyboy1942 »

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 11-05-2010, 23:05:18 »
2 thing to help making the MG more effective.
For all the MG: the old supression effect (but I know what the dev will say... just make a poll on the main page about this and other gameplay effet)

i already did that poll, and  a biggger supression effect  won by 80 % , but devs didnt care :P

Offline Alakazou

• FHer from the beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 11-05-2010, 23:05:23 »
But an official one by the dev on the main page will be more accurate.

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 12-05-2010, 03:05:17 »
.30cal needs a new sound.  with some sort of one man decent usage type deal going.. i mean i hardly use it..  an animation for it would be great holding it with the handle on teh barrel on the front. and when going prone one hand brings up a tripod throws it on the ground and the other places.. looks decent though it sounds like it would use a lot of work. and it would save from heaving to throw on the ground and wait... just an idea.
« Last Edit: 12-05-2010, 04:05:20 by Neighbor Kid »
http://i52.tinypic.com/245iq1l.jpg
My Day Begins When Your Days End

Offline Awesomeness

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 14-05-2010, 04:05:46 »
I think they should make a deployable one.Like CoD:WaW ;D

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 14-05-2010, 04:05:04 »
The 30cal tripod is already deployable.  Unless you mean the bipod version, which wasn't used in the ETO until around Battle of the Bulge.  And even then, the BF2 engine won't allow it to be "deployed" with the bipod on surfaces, as with all the other bipod handheld MGs ingame.