Author Topic: Help Azreal Destroy (Virtual) Worlds  (Read 1535 times)

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
Re: Help Azreal Destroy (Virtual) Worlds
« Reply #15 on: 28-12-2011, 05:12:51 »
cough up? i dont find it expensive at all..  :) but thats just me..  :P and i still wouldnt buy it ^^

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28-12-2011, 08:12:51 »
I was on the verge of getting a 580 a few weeks ago, but couldn't justify the extra cost.

The Asus GTX 580 Direct CU II was over 150 bucks more than the 570 ($400), but it's not that much better perfomance-wise.

That, the coming 6-series cards, and the fact my next step is SLI/Crossfire put an end to that idea.

Anyone thinking of getting one of these monsters, be warned, these cards are fucking huge. They take up 3 slots...

Off-topic: I'd like to know what the difference between BF3's High and Ultra is...my 5770 ran fine with all High settings @1280x1024. ???

Offline flyboy_fx

• rockets,rc stuff,and collecting/making ww2 models
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28-12-2011, 10:12:19 »
Two 570s SLI is really a good choice! Much  better than the 580 and 10% better than the 590.

That's what I plan on doing.
Don't hate the forum, hate it's users...

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28-12-2011, 10:12:40 »
Also, strange thing: I haven't noticed any difference in loading time of FH2, be it on SSD or on 5 years old HDD, though for other stuff SSD is surely beneficial.
You are bottlenecked by your processor. BF2/FH2 "loading" also involves unzipping the compressed files where the contents is stored (which is a common process in many games nowadays).

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29-12-2011, 09:12:46 »
@flyboy: Two 570's are cheaper than a 590 too... ;)

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30-12-2011, 01:12:47 »
SSD is must. Get the Samsung 830 series Desktop Upgrade Kit 128GB. According to the reviews it beats the crucial m4. Make sure your mobo supports SATA-600 otherwise you won't get maximum performance on your SSD. Let me know if you need tips on cloning your OS Partition to your your SSD.
I did it last week, the whole operation was done within two hours.

Wrt to dual video card, you are so depending on good support from games and video drivers.
There so many people bitching about lack of proper dual card support in games that advertise that they can run with it. Save your money for a nice 24" LED monitor. Go for the latest AMD7970, rumors say that most of the time it is 50% faster then the GTX580.
http://www.abload.de/gallery.php?key=qpOM1lvz <-- AMD own factsheet, but hey would they lie  :D

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

azreal

« Reply #21 on: 30-12-2011, 04:12:57 »
Not sure if I said it in this thread, but I've decided to scrap dual 580s and wait for the 600 series of NVIDIA cards to come out.

Offline ComputerBuilderPro

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30-12-2011, 05:12:32 »
Alright, I was referred to this thread by CherokeeCory. I've built several computers for several people, a few for myself, and price ranges varying from 400-1500 dollars. Not a bot by the way, just not feeling creative at the moment haha. Anyways, I would be more than happy to work with you on putting together a killer rig. PM me if interested.

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30-12-2011, 05:12:18 »
Yeah, he built my list in an hour, and I had the computer running as it is now four hours later.
This thing just murders my games.  ;D

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30-12-2011, 05:12:30 »
Yeah, he built my list in an hour, and I had the computer running as it is now four hours later.
This thing just murders my games.  ;D

Yeah, working with a budget of around 400 dollars, I got him gaming with skyrim in a few hours. He has 20 hours clocked into this game, and we just put the system together a few days ago.

Looked at your list, everything looks okay. Honestly I see no reason NOT to go to a 1155 system. Newer, better, just more sexy all over. I'm running a 1155 i7 2600k overclocked to 5ghz, ON AIR, running at just a few degrees above room temperature. Hell, for a couple months I DIDNT HAVE A FAN on the heatsink, it just ran that cool. Part rating as follows:

HAFX: A+ no problems here, although it is a HUGE computer case. HUGE! If you're looking for a LAN friendly case, all stars go to the cooler master storm scout. It just screams sexy, cheap but extremely nice for around 80 bucks. Has a handle, and like I said, SEXY.

HDD: 500gb WD black is alright, although you will probably fill it up. My favorite solution is 3 hard drives, and with a large budget it's very easy to maintain. Get a good SSD, 64GB+, an "app" drive, like your WD black, and a storage drive, such as a 1.5TB hard drive. Keep all the OS specific stuff on the SSD, games and apps on the WD Black, and music, videos and downloads on the 1.5TB hard drive. This works great and my computer boots in about 8 seconds.

MOBO: Asus is a fantastic brand, but 1366 is already outdated by 1155, which is faster and better.
CPU: Like I said, a 1155 mobo + i7 2500k/2600k will absolutely rip any other system to shreds. Overclockability on air is insane, I can push 5GHz on air and keep cool.

Video cards go out of date every few months anyways, why drop 1k on a 2 card solution? We can discuss this.

RAM is ram, and G.Skill is good. These particular sticks are decent at overclocking, although you may want to go for DDR3 2000+ sticks for more insane speeds.

The SSD is fantastic, no problems here. However, you may want to go for a faster, SATA3 SSD, my cheap 120 dollar 64GB SSD can push 350MB+ per second.

I have no personal experience with Cooler master power supplies, recommended brands are Corsair, seasonic, PC power and Cooling, and thermaltake, and some Antec's have all been wonderful power supplies. I've had a OCZ blow up on me and turn my computer into a temporary smoke machine. I had to go to microcenter at 8am to replace it with a better, Thermaltake one. Also, MODULAR is a must. When you have high wattages, you have a lot more wires to deal with, modular systems make it alot easier to wire manage.

CD Burner: No worries here, its cheap, it works. Blue ray maybe? Just a thought. I personally gave away my CD drive because I never use it, and I just use a external one anyways.

Hope this shed some insight, and I would be more than willing to put together a parts list for you!
« Last Edit: 30-12-2011, 05:12:38 by ComputerBuilderPro »

azreal

« Reply #25 on: 30-12-2011, 06:12:27 »
Hate to burst your bubble, but on the first page I stated that I am waiting to see what the Ivy Bridge processors and NVIDIA 600 series graphics cards can do. Also, I already have the HAF X case sitting 2 feet away from me.

Offline flyboy_fx

• rockets,rc stuff,and collecting/making ww2 models
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30-12-2011, 15:12:57 »
Computerbuilder, I'm setting on up just like that! <3 It's gonna have two 570s in SLI. By the way, how do I rig up two GPUs in "SLI"? I have no experience with it.  ???
Don't hate the forum, hate it's users...

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30-12-2011, 20:12:53 »
Computerbuilder, I'm setting on up just like that! <3 It's gonna have two 570s in SLI. By the way, how do I rig up two GPUs in "SLI"? I have no experience with it.  ???

I use AMD/ATI cards, but you should just be able to plug both of them into the PCI 2.0x16 or whatever slots, then go into the graphics manager and click "enable SLI". Thats how I do it with crossfire.