Author Topic: Having trouble finding RAM ... HALP!  (Read 498 times)

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
Having trouble finding RAM ... HALP!
« on: 30-06-2010, 22:06:59 »
Hi all,

First of all, here are my system specs:

AMD Athlon 64 4400 X2, Dual Core 2.2 ghz
Geforce 260 GTX 896 MB
2 GB DDR 400 RAM (184 pin, PC 3200)
Windows 7 Ultimate

I've been meaning to upgrade the RAM in my PC for a while and have been incessantly searching for a kit of DDR 400 184-pin RAM in a 4 GB dual channel kit (2x2GB). Unfortunately the ONLY thing I have been able to find is ECC Enabled server RAM, which I know runs slower than unbuffered, non ECC RAM.

I've searched Newegg, Amazon, and most of the big names in memory and haven't found anything larger than 2 GB dual channel kits.

So my questions are thus: 1) Do you guys have any leads as to where I can find this RAM 2) If I were to buy the "server RAM" would the performance decrease be noticeable and it should it be just as compatible as regular RAM, given that it's DDR400 (PC 3200)?

Thanks in advance!

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

Offline General Tso

• Head Chump
    • View Profile
Re: Having trouble finding RAM ... HALP!
« Reply #1 on: 30-06-2010, 22:06:01 »
http://www.4allmemory.com/

I've had good luck with them, although I don't know if they sell high performance RAM.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30-06-2010, 22:06:26 »
Did a quick google search. Seems like 4GB modules are rare when it comes to DDR1 PC3200 184pin. Found some server RAM you've mentioned. And some RAM from EDGE who seem to have produced 4GB modules in PC2100 standard already. Maybe that is a hint.

https://www.varstreet.com/technologysupplier/productview.asp?pId=%8F%9E%8D%8B%C5%CE%CD%C7%C8%CB%CA%C9%CF

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01-07-2010, 11:07:33 »
considering that DDR (not DDR2) is getting quite old in PC terms you will either have trouble finding some or end up paying lots of money for it.

you could try e-bay, but dont buy used  but new ram so you got good warranty and refund possibilities.
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01-07-2010, 11:07:49 »
Upgrading to a new PC would also come in handy here.
Not meant as a cheesy comment, but you should really consider if the RAM should cost you more than 50$
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off