Author Topic: Guess what: Omaha Beach  (Read 13280 times)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Guess what: Omaha Beach
« on: 26-03-2014, 18:03:17 »
Hello and welcome to a rather unusual devblog. Some of you might have noticed a game called "geoguessr" which was played in the offtopic section of this forum:

http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=19498.0

In this game you are dropped into a random google streetview location and need to guess your location as accurately as possible. Over the next weeks we will play our own FH2 variant of this game.
As you may know, many FH2 maps are near 1:1 copies of the actual terrain they took place in. You can check out examples in this thread:
http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=16099.0

FH2 player and beta tester Hans Werner, also known as [79th]Zmorg, was kind enough to take some photographs on the real location of an upcoming map and now it is up to you to guess where it takes place! When we say "guess", we of course don't mean you spurting out the names of random battles or maps you saw on the test server (although that might be a smart place to start ;) ). We need hard evidence in form of historical photos or google streetview pictures. I will regularly update this post with more screenshots and photos, getting ever more specific, although I expect our community to solve this very fast...  ;D Here are your first hints:

EDIT: I had hoped that this would last until April the 1st, but what can I say... when it comes to history, it just doesn't pay to challenge the FH2 community. The first person to crack the riddle was Surfbird, who managed to guess the right map after one hint and a mere four hours. You, Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Shoutouts also for Eikthynir and Mudzin, who also cracked the code a bit later.

That being said, the village in the first pictures is Vierville Sur Mer, which of course means that the map in question is Omaha Beach. Expect a more standard news update shortly. Until then, have fun with the rest of these pictures.  ;)

« Last Edit: 28-03-2014, 19:03:33 by Ts4EVER »

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: The guessing game
« Reply #1 on: 26-03-2014, 18:03:58 »
EDIT:

I was way off in that guess ;)
« Last Edit: 29-03-2014, 14:03:48 by Roughbeak »

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26-03-2014, 18:03:05 »
And what's the reward?  :D

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26-03-2014, 18:03:31 »
You know what the map is?

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26-03-2014, 18:03:34 »
Basing on the random photo it's quite damn hard to guess when you haven't been in that location in reality... I bet sb will guess it just by pure luck!  ;)
« Last Edit: 26-03-2014, 18:03:37 by Mudzin »

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26-03-2014, 19:03:46 »
I wonder what the inspiration for the french buildings we have in the mod now was? cuz whenever I compare a photo of the Norman countryside with a screen from the mod the architecture seems nothing alike to me... I realize that there is a shitload of regions in France and that every region might have a slightly differently looking buildings and you can't have tens (or even hundreds) of buildings and that it is necessary to have sort of "generic" buildings to represent a range of buildings but it just looks like the buildings in the mod aren't the typical buildings from Normandy but someplace else in France.. just curious, don't rip my head off

anyway, I have no idea where that is (the pic is too generic) but I don't think it's Benouville
« Last Edit: 26-03-2014, 19:03:10 by McCloskey »

Offline RAnDOOm

• Portugal - Surfs Paradise in Europe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26-03-2014, 20:03:42 »
I good friend of mine lives in one of those houses. What are the odds of that happening.....

Just kidding. No ideia.

Offline Damaso

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26-03-2014, 21:03:33 »
Isnt that on Caen?  8)

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26-03-2014, 21:03:46 »
Looks like the skybox of Gold Beach...?

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26-03-2014, 21:03:01 »
Are you expecting us to google street view check every Normandy town. This picture is a tad too generic indeed if you ask me. All I can say is that HansWerner is french and a passionate Axis tank fanboy, so there was probably some Tiger or King Tiger around this location at the time ;)

Seriously, I don't know where it could be... It's just that this wall stands out and is along with a field on the right the only similarity between FH2 and reality. It's either an outskirt or a rather small village. My guess is that it's a very small village.
« Last Edit: 26-03-2014, 21:03:36 by Surfbird »

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26-03-2014, 21:03:00 »
As I said, I will post more photos soon.  ;)

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #11 on: 26-03-2014, 21:03:33 »
It would be a crap game if the easiest image was posted first ::)

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26-03-2014, 21:03:10 »
So I think I might have found it. At least the building style in the North East end of Sainte-Mère-Église looks the same as in the picture ;) I also noticed the same green lanterns around the area, but was unable to find the specific location of the photo, so it could also be a similar area with buildings liek this, but this could be the correct place.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26-03-2014, 22:03:09 »
Wouldn't Sainte Mere Eglise be at night though? Of course we could have copy and pasted the gold beach light settings onto it to fuck with you... but even so, we need something more than "looks a bit like it"
« Last Edit: 26-03-2014, 22:03:50 by Ts4EVER »

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26-03-2014, 22:03:02 »
Good point. I also noticed that theise light beige buildings with blue-ish roofs are not exactly rare around Normandy and the streetlights are a bit smaller than those in the location you want us to find. Still looks somewhat similar, the location could be rather close.