Author Topic: FH2 Standalone (Discussion Only)  (Read 9540 times)

Offline Xiaoxiao

• View Profile
Re: FH2 Standalone (Discussion Only)
« Reply #75 on: 21-09-2015, 14:09:05 »
Yea a Standalone for this would be sweet. I used to play in the Forgotten honor Australian hosted games when that was happening. But Forgotten Hope 2 is pretty much dead in Australia and has been for years. If the game went standalone more people could play it and Australian servers would most likely be made. Its what happened with PR no Aussie servers then when standalone came out some Australian servers opened up. Honestly I don't see why the devs of this game won't go standalone with this game its a popular game and if made standalone the player base would increase ten fold. 

Hopefully it is being worked on.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 21-09-2015, 18:09:04 »
We all hope FH2 is going to be standalone at one point. That, hopefully, would cause a massive influx of new players FH2 needs. But you need to keep in mind that devs are extremely busy with loads and loads of new content and fixes they're working on behind the scenes, and what they're doing is pretty impressive for such a small dev team FH2 has nowadays.

For all who keep asking about standalone here and on our facebook fanpage, let's keep our fingers crossed!  ;)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 21-09-2015, 20:09:28 »
Also, don't forget that going standalone is basically illegal and there is a risk, a small but potentially catastrophic risk, of ruinous legal action by EA.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 21-09-2015, 20:09:34 »
Which propably would have already happened to PR by now.

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 21-09-2015, 21:09:54 »
I am not a lawyer but I am member of a litigious society('Murica).  I'm pretty sure they would just send a "Cease and Dissist" notice.  I don't know how you could catastrophically ruin a free modding community.  Though, if standalone fails it would finally begin the end of this. 

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 21-09-2015, 21:09:34 »
Which propably would have already happened to PR by now.
PR and this site where you can download BF2 for free.

Offline Kinryu

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 22-09-2015, 05:09:49 »
If battlelog.co offers the game for free why hasn't EA taken it down? Perhaps it does not care that much. Battlefield 2 Bad Company is 5 years newer yet I saw it on Origin for 2.99.

A standalone may get more attention but if we post on reddit.com/r/classicbattlefield and others, we might also get good attention.  :)

Offline gamerjer

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 22-09-2015, 11:09:09 »
Yeah i dont think EA cares this much about bf2 anyomore why bother when they earn miljons already with the newer ones =-P so its possible but i guess time is a diffrent story, anyways i think the best thing to do is going standalone with FH2 ;D

Offline colores

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 22-09-2015, 17:09:00 »
I think that if they sent a note of "Cease and Desist", we could return to traditional BF2 + mod system and problem solved! Nothing happened!

Offline Kinryu

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 22-09-2015, 20:09:11 »
I think that if they sent a note of "Cease and Desist", we could return to traditional BF2 + mod system and problem solved! Nothing happened!
Yes, but spending time on developing a standalone only for it to be taken down is not worth it.

Offline gamerjer

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 23-09-2015, 00:09:43 »
Yes, but spending time on developing a standalone only for it to be taken down is not worth it.
true but there are more + points in a standalone then - :P
Easy download more people will try the mod
easier to convince friends to download and play :D
more players? new servers? and maby modders who are skilled enough to help the devs? :)
it can be a win win situation :P

Offline colores

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 24-09-2015, 21:09:07 »

Mmm... no.
I think the only thing you lose is the effort to make the "standalone" installer, that is, put in the same installer BF2 + BF2 patches + FH2 mod.
But, the modeling, maps, gameplay, etc is the same for both versions (actual, future or standalone). So, if they send a warning, we could say: "ok, sorry ... wait a minute" we remove the standalone version from the web and place FH2 mod files as usual, without the BF2 executable part and ready to go. Those players with standalove version installed would not have to reinstall anything. The servers are the same. If you need to install FH2 from scratch, you can get the latest version standalone on the black market and update or install BF2 + FH2 manually as is done now.

Saying it seems fairly easy. Probably these modification (standalone) involves several hard technical considerations and more. But simplifying it enough, is not more complicated than that (...I believe)

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 24-09-2015, 23:09:12 »
Saying it seems fairly easy. Probably these modification (standalone) involves several hard technical considerations and more. But simplifying it enough, is not more complicated than that (...I believe)

I think it is easy.  I tried to make one by looking at the PR standalone but couldn't get it to launch.  You basically just need to transfer a few BF2 files into your standalone folder with FH2 mod and then change all the file paths accordingly.

Offline gamerjer

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 26-09-2015, 00:09:25 »
hmm im just wondering, if u guys know how a standalone works maby its an idea to help the devs with this?  ???  ;D or work together with a few people who know how it works so the devs dont have to do it all themselfs? so that fh2 can become a standalone :D or thats a no go? :P

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 26-09-2015, 02:09:58 »
If they request such help then sure, I will see what my ignorant ass can do.  But my experiment gave me the sense that competent people could put it together quite quickly.  I think the only thing the Devs need to do is to make the decision. 

I would suggest launching the standalone before releasing the Eastern Front.  Test it out both technically and uh legally before you have such a major release.