Author Topic: Victoria II  (Read 1203 times)

Offline MajorMajor

• View Profile
Victoria II
« on: 17-07-2016, 10:07:51 »
I was wondering if anyone here plays Victoria II. I've recently started to play this game, choosing Brazil since from what I gather it is a good nation to learn the game.

I'm currently in the late 1860's and everything was going well for me until I got sphere'd by the USA. Now my economy is in shambles and I can't seem to refloat. I've had to do some massive cuts to my defence budget and I'd be hard pressed to take on anyting stronger than a third rate S. American nation. Also, for some reason I'm getting the Spanish Flu event every single year, which hampers my pop growth. I have researched the three colonial techs but still have only two of the three colonial inventions.

Assuming that the only possible way to get out of the USA's sphere of influence is becoming a Great Power, what would be a good way to do it?

For reference, here's my current empire:

I have all of Brazil's core regions + Panama + a colonial concession in West Morocco.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria II
« Reply #1 on: 17-07-2016, 22:07:10 »
Some of the problems you describe sound like bugs. Did you patch the game to the latest version?

Besides that, google game guides for Victoria 2. Like this: http://www.victoria2wiki.com/Brazil

Victoria 1 was very difficult to handle for me. Small differences from real history have a huge impact on the development of your country. You need to reproduce the historical development of your country and beat reality by adding improvements to that development.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18-07-2016, 08:07:32 »
Indeed, I'm playing with the latest version. I've read the wiki and apparently the flu event triggers when the poor pops don't get enough life needs, which is weird since the budget window tells me otherwise. Oh well, I guess I'll have to research further down the chemistry window. Also, I was missing the "mission to colonize" invention due to lack of 1870's technology (MG's I believe).

I hope I can get out of the sphere soon, right now I'm falling behind and the still westernizing Japan has 11 times more brigades than me.

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18-07-2016, 18:07:20 »
Research medicine against diseases.

Research prestige gain to attain great power

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál

Offline MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20-07-2016, 09:07:17 »
Research medicine against diseases.

Research prestige gain to attain great power

I have researched prestige but too little too late. I'll be starting over with Brazil from 1836, this time focusing in research and prestige techs and also trying to conquer colonial holdings before their owners fall in a Great Power's sphere (in my last game, I was only able to colonize a largely useless part of Africa - I need iron and coal badly).

By the way, every time I load a game my fincances take a massive hit, like a -150+/day. Is that a bug? It's pissing me off big time.

Online VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22-07-2016, 20:07:33 »
You know, I want to play Victoria II, I really do.  But I always feel like the military situation is impossible to figure out.  No matter what I do, I always seem to go to war, win maybe one battle, then lose every single other battle because my armies deplete in numbers but never, ever, reinforce or anything.  Is there something I'm missing, some trick or button I'm supposed to press?  The recruitment tab basically empties immediately after the first battle, and there's no recruitment or anything that I seem to find that can make my armies recoup their losses.

Offline Kalkalash

• aka Niko1992
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23-07-2016, 06:07:31 »
Your armies are tied directly to your POPs. Basically, you should always as many active units as possible. A soldier POP gives one recruitable unit per 3000 people.

When in battle, your units take damage, which directly affects your POPs as well (with a certain factor). So losing an X amount of men decreases the size of that POP by Y amount. Most of the time, you won't be recruiting any new units in a war, unless some of your armies get completely destroyed (ie. removed from the map). And that is only in the case where the POP didn't take enough damage to not supply you with units anymore.

Your units are reinforced based on three things: Supply, attrition and POP size. Your supply, or your military funding slider (the one that pays for all the equipment) sets the maximum amount of troops your units will reinforce. Attrition is caused by being in hostile territory or over the unit limit of a province. It both kills some of your soldiers (though this does not affect your POPs afaik) and it slows down your reinforce rate.

A POP that isn't completely "full" will also slow down your reinforcement. So if you recruit a soldier, and then the size of the POP drops from 3000 to, say, 2000 due to battle, you'll notice the icon of the recruited unit turning yellow. This means that the POP is too small to reinforce the unit at full speed. At very small POP size, the icon will turn red, which means that reinforcing is going to take ages. It is quite important that you try to keep your soldier POPs at full strength when possible. I usually try to have a 2%-5% nation wide population of soldiers, and during war I maximise my soldier/officer wages to max and put all my national focuses to encourage soldiers.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin