Author Topic: Chat shouts sound volume  (Read 1864 times)

Offline Cyrant

• View Profile
Chat shouts sound volume
« on: 05-06-2018, 19:06:45 »
Hello guys! Off for my first post here, as I guess it won't be a biggie. Sorry for being lazy (long day at work in the sun), I haven't searched the forum up and down first, a quick search gave nothing, so I feel this is something I need to have your input on.

The quick chat wheel shouts, while distinctive and often really funny or interesting, can be used in annoying ways or be blown up to be straight spam (Deutschland!). Now I tried to change the values with the slider in the options menu, which hardly made any difference. I have seen in vids it's possible to mute it altogether, which I still can't bring myself to do - sometimes a little chatter is fun and I really like to hear that "take cover!" that comes from the guy a few steps ahead of me. What wrecks my nerve sometimes is that you hear the same "take cover!" in the same volume from far across the map, which doesn't really add something to gameplay at all.

Now my question: are there viable sound mods or option file changes that are able to reduce the radius of audible chatter, and why doesn't the slider at very low settings (2-4%) nearly mute the sounds, but sets them at half volume at best (lowest)? 

Are there any better ways you deal with this,  than to get used to spam or omit shouts as a whole?

Cheers!

Offline blander

• View Profile
Re: Chat shouts sound volume
« Reply #1 on: 06-06-2018, 05:06:32 »
For some reason, distance from the speaker does not seem to modify the volume on the receiver´s end. The "take cover!" scream always sounds at the same volume, it doesn´t matter if the soldier is right next to you or really far away. It would be great to have that fixed.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06-06-2018, 15:06:54 »
Problem is that this is not the case for everyone. For me 3d sounds work fine for instance. So the bug is hard to nail down.

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07-06-2018, 09:06:42 »
I've had this issue pop up randomly. Most of the time the 3D sound works fine but every now and then I experience the loud "right next to me" sound when particular players use the commorose. Happens in PR as well and I'm pretty sure that also happened in vBF2. When and why that happens, I don't know. It appears it happens more often when the commorose user is in a vehicle.
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that..."

Offline Cyrant

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07-06-2018, 12:06:09 »
Thanks for taking time to reply!

Problem is that this is not the case for everyone. For me 3d sounds work fine for instance. So the bug is hard to nail down.

Ouch, ok - I didn't realize that it was more of a local issue. Topic popped up as a buddy that recently installed experiences it aswell, made me wonder if there is a way around. I might start scouring the net for something about it, yet when you tell me it's hard to replicate, I'm not too confident in finding anything.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08-06-2018, 19:06:30 »
Be sure to check "high quality" in the sounds options together with the EAX. You will still occasionally hear the commands since they are played globally when used in vehicles.

Offline Cyrant

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14-06-2018, 11:06:25 »
Be sure to check "high quality" in the sounds options together with the EAX. You will still occasionally hear the commands since they are played globally when used in vehicles.

Thanks for the input!

Currently I find it interesting to fiddle with the values in the sound.con file as described here (ancient link)

Basically it's about these lines in the sound.con:
Code: [Select]
rem ** Balance between 2d and 3d samples.
sound.setProperty "balance2d3d-default" 0.5
sound.setProperty "balance2d3d-eax" 0.5

Allegedly both settings must only be changed to the same value and should not exceed 1 or be lower than 0.5

This makes it possible to tone down shouting spam and maybe also helps some other user to adjust the sound more to his likings, at last for me it's doing the trick now.
« Last Edit: 14-06-2018, 12:06:17 by Cyrant »

Offline tekktekk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02-07-2018, 11:07:36 »
I think this is a vehicle commorose issue with monaural and stereo sounds.
If you shout "charge" in vehicle, your teammates can hear it as a stereo sound.
Stereo sound is often louder than monaural sound because it has two audio channels.
To solve this issue, devs have to set vehicle commorose script to play on monaural.
I dont know exactly how to fix, but I guess "TCLocalTeam" command is the cause of this issue.