Author Topic: Random old stuff I found (Newspaper, field post, books)  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Easy Eight

• View Profile
Hi,

lately I was a bit "spelunking" in an old house's attic (was my grandmother's aunt house) and found some interesting stuff, I love reading in old newspaper. Just wanted to share it I guess. Everything is in German.

Random collection: Field post from World War I (hard to read) a book from 1886 and some local Newspapers.
Newspaper dates and headlines:
May 6th, 1915: Daily report of the high command
March 16th, 1933: New national emblems of the Wehrmacht
January 15th, 1935: The world listens up! (I don't know if that's the correct translation) It's about the Saar status referendum

And here's a propaganda book that was published monthly called "Ewiges Deutschland", this issue is special because it's about Hitler's 50th birthday.

"The Führer and his folk."

left Hindenburg + Hitler, right "Standartenweihe"

Autobahn, built by Hitler himself. ::)

« Last Edit: 09-05-2012, 19:05:37 by Easy Eight »

Offline Flyboy1942

• AKA: Ghanrage
    • View Profile
Re: Random old stuff I found (Newspaper, field post, books)
« Reply #1 on: 09-05-2012, 18:05:36 »
That's a pretty nice collection you found. Are you gonna have any of it framed and find a place on a wall? I imagine it is quite a thrill to find stuff like this. You get to be Idiana Jones for a bit, searching through the ruins of Attica.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09-05-2012, 18:05:54 »
Cool stuff! Beware of LHeureux, he might think you're a nazi now...  :P

Offline th_battleaxe

• Bon Vivant
  • Bit of a Révolutionnaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09-05-2012, 19:05:12 »
You get to be Idiana Jones for a bit, searching through the ruins of Attica.

Beware of the use of Attica, it's the name of the ancient Greek region of Athens
J'aime l'oignon, frît à l'huile
J'aime l'oignon car il est bon
J'aime l'oignon, frît à l'huile
J'aime l'oignon, j'aime l'oignon

Offline Easy Eight

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09-05-2012, 19:05:14 »
That's a pretty nice collection you found. Are you gonna have any of it framed and find a place on a wall? I imagine it is quite a thrill to find stuff like this. You get to be Idiana Jones for a bit, searching through the ruins of Attica.

I think I'll try to figure out how to read the WWI field post (they're written in Kurrent I think) and see what went through his mind.

Yeah, I like being Indiana Jones and recommend it to everyone, so visit your grand parents and have a look at their attic, you'll maybe find some interesting stuff. :)

I also just found a book about animals and nature from 1859, sadly there are almost no pictures in it.
« Last Edit: 09-05-2012, 19:05:45 by Easy Eight »

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09-05-2012, 19:05:36 »
I also just found a book about animals and nature from 1859, sadly there are almost no pictures in it.
now THAT sounds interesting! I would love to hear more about it, and/or see pictures about it. That's pretty much around the time of major controversy with Lamarck, Darwin and Haeckel.
i.e. title and author mainly.
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09-05-2012, 21:05:30 »
Yeah, I like being Indiana Jones and recommend it to everyone, so visit your grand parents and have a look at their attic, you'll maybe find some interesting stuff. :)
I'm reading my dad's diary now (he passed away last summer). It starts 31st December 1944 and continues through his time he was sent off to fight in the colonies, although he never did any fighting because he hated the military ;)

The diary contains a lot of old stuff from Indonesia, like maps and postcards and stuff.

Offline Easy Eight

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09-05-2012, 21:05:43 »
Sorry for your loss man, one of my grandfathers (aged 91) died last year, too. Sadly I couldn't ask him much in his last years because he was almost blind and deaf.

I'd like to find a diary, too. Must dig deeper I guess. ;)

now THAT sounds interesting! I would love to hear more about it, and/or see pictures about it. That's pretty much around the time of major controversy with Lamarck, Darwin and Haeckel.
i.e. title and author mainly.

The book is a bit damaged so I can't read the title or author sadly.

I guess it was a present on the day of birth (December, 6th 1859), that's what it says on the left side (you can also see some drawings by a kid there). Because of that I think it's a book for children, it's also written in a more child-friendly way. I assumed that the book is from 1859 (year of birth), too but it also could be older.

Some of the rare drawings: Minerals

and a whale.

Here's the index of contents:

I. Mineral kingdom
II. Plant kingdom
III. Animal kingdom
    1. Mammals
    2. Birds
    3. Amphibian
    4. Fish
    5. Insects
    6. Worms
IV. The Human
    1. Human body (outside)
    2. Human body (inside)
    3. The "tools" of speaking
    4. Spleeping and beeing awake
    5. Life and death
    6. Human soul
    7. Speech
    8. The human in relation to other creatures
    9. The human in society with other humans
    10. The different estates
    11. Nations of the earth

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09-05-2012, 22:05:56 »
Sorry for your loss man, one of my grandfathers (aged 91) died last year, too. Sadly I couldn't ask him much in his last years because he was almost blind and deaf.

I'd like to find a diary, too. Must dig deeper I guess. ;)
My dad was 85 years old and had a great life, so we're at peace with it. He too couldn't be asked much in his latter years because of sickness.

The diary is of course a personal record, and also very reliable concerning any factual info (I mean, who would write down lies in his own diary?). When I'm done reading, I'll type it out for my family, might do an English translation one day. It's not very spectacular, but still interesting at points.

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10-05-2012, 03:05:06 »
Wow, really awesome stuff you got there. As a history freak such things are like treasures to me.

We still have a collection of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meyers_Konversations-Lexikon THe version we own is around 1902-1905. 20 books.
Further 3 called for example "Jahressupplement 1909/1910" I think thats jusz the additions, like adding an article to wikipedia ;D Got 1909/1910, 1910/1911 and 1911/1912 from that. There are also 2 more books though: "Ergänzungen", supplement in English :)

I think that are the supplements to the 20 book-encyclopedia.

I never looked into them a real lot, but they are all lined up in a usual bookshelf in a usual room. I'll do that right now.

From outside they look like being in a very bad condition, but from the inside it all still looks good and there are sometimes thick papered pages, which you can tilt up and have beautiful, coloured drawings then. A lot of things are written on pages with pencils, but I can not read them. Hand written old German letters are hard to read nowadays.

The books contain old newspaper articles from ~ 1920 to 1975, but also bills as well as random pieces of paper with hand-written stuff. I think around 1985 the books did not move around a lot anyomore and nobody ever took a serious look at them.

One of the most interesting things are old city maps of several German cities I have found.

Another interesting aspect was, living with the colonial policy and Imperialism of Wilhelm II, the ethnology of African peoples. With a lot of pictures of their faces (coloured ones on carton) and a lot of pictures of their weapons and tools they used.

Those books have been in this family for over 100 years now and I will do all I can to keep that up :)

I'll post some photos if you are interested. It's not nearly as interesting as "Easy Eight"s stuff though :P

cheers

Offline Mayhemic.MAD

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10-05-2012, 11:05:11 »
Nice stuff, I always enjoy seeing such old things that give us insights into what they thought back then in the past.. Make sure to keep it all safe, like your ancestors did.

And the old nature Book looks like it could be this:
http://books.google.de/books?id=4VpQAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA1&hl=de&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

And if you need help reading that old letter, I can read that old german handwriting quite well and also could ask my grandma if I fail. Her shopping lists look just like that.
Der Motor des Panzers ist ebenso seine Waffe wie die Kanone.
Heinz Guderian

--- Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!! ---

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10-05-2012, 17:05:39 »
And the old nature Book looks like it could be this:
http://books.google.de/books?id=4VpQAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA1&hl=de&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

That's the one! at least the same pictures of the minerals and the whale is on the same pages.

Some quick googling I found it on german Amazon, but could not find anything on english or an english-title. Not speaking german, my guess is that it is simply a text-book used for school studies.
And it was published in 1842

Thanks for sharing Easy Sight!
Studying Darwin and "the gang", I do think it's interesting to see these old books, the pictures and how they reasoned only 150 years ago.
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline Easy Eight

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10-05-2012, 19:05:18 »
Thanks for your research Mayhemic.MAD it's definitely the same book.

Also thanks for your offer but I want to learn this writing, too. Maybe I'll come back to you if I'm stuck. :)

@Surfbird

Interesting story, so did your ancestors buy these books? I'd like to see some pics of this part: :D

[...]
Another interesting aspect was, living with the colonial policy and Imperialism of Wilhelm II, the ethnology of African peoples. With a lot of pictures of their faces (coloured ones on carton) and a lot of pictures of their weapons and tools they used.
[...]

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10-05-2012, 20:05:16 »
Yea I think they bought them back then. Quite a lot of Germans did as far as I know, but lots of these books got lost due to World Wars or because people just bought the latest edition and threw the older ones away. Does not even surprise me in a time of technological developement and a lot of inventions.

I'll make some photos then. I planned to take a look at all of these books and I'll upload the best things I'm able to find there.

I am personally more interested in all those newspaper articles in the books, the hand-written notes and other things I can find. The pictures look really good though. I think I'll be done within the next few days and upload the most interesting stuff then, including the ethnology. I realized that the text is probably even more exciting than the pictures are, maybe I translate some interesting stuff :)

Offline Sgt.KAR98

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11-05-2012, 22:05:32 »
The only thing of OMFG I found other day was a 5000 francs bill of Bank of Central African States!IDK how it was inside my drawer togheter with some euro bills my aunt sent me a long time ago (yes,I have some world coins and bills,but not enought to make me be investigated by the Interpol).

The only things I have are a bunch of WWII magazines from the 60s,some booklets of Soviet and US air forces,a letter sent to my grandfather during WWII and that's all.I had a portuguese dictionary from the end of the 19th century.At least it's what I heard.Dunno if it's here with me or got lost when I moved to this apartment.

Er,sorry the size.Couldn't resize it.