Author Topic: Mount & Blade Warband: Napoleonic Wars F|H Regiment!  (Read 7834 times)

Offline baz44331

• View Profile

A Quick Guide on how to join.
Go to the Forgotten honor site as noted in the pic above.
or
http://www.forgottenhonor.com/index.php

Step 1  Become a member.

- Click on Register on the top left corner.
- Follow the instructions.
- Read the Forum Rules.

Step 2  Signup for a Campaign / Regiment.

- Click on Campaign Signups
- Scroll dawn till you see Mount & Blade Warband - Napoleonic Wars.
- Click Prussia and then click Start Registration.
- Follow the instructions.
- If all thats finished you will receive a Private Messages with a welcoming, rules, and forum link.
- Enjoy

If something still isnt clear contact us on steam and we help you out.

Steam : baz44331
             cramble
« Last Edit: 05-05-2012, 02:05:53 by baz44331 »

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount & Blade Warband: Napoleonic Wars F|H Regiment!
« Reply #1 on: 05-05-2012, 04:05:05 »
Nice idea, but the line battles are amoung the most unrealistic shit ever devised.  I'll stick to public battles.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05-05-2012, 05:05:02 »
vM please explain if you like the game or not, the only testimony I have heard is from Fuchs and I know not to trust a Lowlander.  Wondering if I should get it.

Edit:  (On a side note perhaps we should make this the main Warband chat thread, I'm sure many people have lots to say about the multiplayer and the tons of mods, judging by the amount of FH'ers I see playing it.)

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05-05-2012, 06:05:09 »
I love the game.  I play it all the time, been playing it since Mount and Musket.  I have served in line battle regiments in Mount and Musket, and found the realism to be little at best, and non-existent most of the time.  The line battle rules are perplexing, obtuse, and don't allow any sort of realistic tactics.  It is run by people who literally think that all they did was stand in lines shooting at each other.  Skirmishing is hated and frowned upon, realistic tactics like skirmish order, fire and advance, and such are either horrible regulated to almost never happen, to just being outright banned.  Cavalry cannot be used effectively due to limits on lancers and dragoons (for instance, in European line battle rules, dragoons are not allowed to fire from horseback without being standing in a line, whilst on American rules servers, they just plain are NOT allowed to fire from horseback, ever).  I'll wait for Pascucci to post the rules up here before I start picking each of them apart with historical fact.

Either way, me and Pascucci, and a few other friends, formed our own little "unit", if you can call it that.  We play only in public games, and generally try to work as a skirmishing team.  Public is fine in this game.  It's the line battles that are sorely broken unless you enjoy standing still and trading volleys in a neat little line aimlessly until one side is all dead.  And I do mean neat.  The unit I was in once got mown down because the officers ordered us not to fire (we had the enemy dead to rights) until everyone was PERFECTLY IN LINE.
« Last Edit: 05-05-2012, 06:05:12 by VonMudra »

Offline Pascucci the Whiner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05-05-2012, 06:05:22 »
General Expectations:

-Officers and NCOs are responsible for enforcing the event rules within their ranks. Failure to do so will result in the entire regiment being punished.

-All regiments must agree that they understand and intend to follow the event rules before they are allowed to attend.

-If either side has 3 soldiers or less alive, the rules governing combat may be ignored in order to expedite an end to the round.

-Postponing defeat will result in an automatic slay.

Guidelines for Infantry and Skirmishers:

-Lines of more than 12 soldiers must fight in two ranks.

-Skirmisher units may never exceed 15 soldiers.

-Soldiers should only fire their muskets while in a properly spaced line formation, or risk being slain with no warning.
               -"One space" is the width of your avatar on screen
               -Infantry should have less than 1 space between them
               -Light Infantry (skirmisher w/ bayonet) may have 3 spaces between them
               -Riflemen may have up to 5 spaces between them

-Skirmishers may crouch at any time, but Infantry may only crouch if they are in the front of a two (or more) rank line.

-If only 2 men remain in a line, they must immediately join a friendly line OR charge directly toward their enemy into melee

Guidelines for Cavalry:

-Cavalry units may never exceed 15 soldiers.

-Cavalry may fire muskets from horseback, but must be in a line as with Infantry.

-Unhorsed/dismounted Cavalry are considered Light Infantry.

Guidelines for Engineers:

-Engineer units may never exceed 4 soldiers.

-Infantry and Skirmisher regiments may have 1 Engineer in their unit.

-Musket armed Engineers are considered Light Infantry.

Guidelines for Artillery:

-Each faction is allowed 2 guns (cannon, howitzer, or mortar). 2 rockets count as 1 gun.

-Each gun can have a crew of 3 Artillerymen and 2 Bodyguards.

-Artillery Bodyguards may choose Infantry, Skirmisher, or Engineer classes, but must obey Light Infantry spacing rules.

Here you go, they are pretty messed up xD.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05-05-2012, 06:05:50 »
So let's look at the absurd, unrealistic, realism breaking rules, shall we?

Guidelines for Infantry and Skirmishers:

-Soldiers should only fire their muskets while in a properly spaced line formation, or risk being slain with no warning.
               -"One space" is the width of your avatar on screen
               -Infantry should have less than 1 space between them
               -Light Infantry (skirmisher w/ bayonet) may have 3 spaces between them
               -Riflemen may have up to 5 spaces between them

-Skirmishers may crouch at any time, but Infantry may only crouch if they are in the front of a two (or more) rank line.

Basically, this is the main one that kills infantry realism.  It sets it up that skirmishers, infantry, and riflemen must have pre-determined spacing between them.  Whilst this is OK for standing in a line, this is highly unrealistic for effective skirmishing.  Effective skirmishing means taking advantage of any cover that is around, which means a skirmishing unit SHOULD spread itself pretty wide, with each 2 man firing team taking cover behind anything they can find.  However, in line battles for MM or NW, this is banned.  Instead, skirmishing units must essentially be in a line, just a spaced out line.  There is no allowance for tactical placement or movement.

Meanwhile, infantry is not allowed to ever skirmish, or move to skirmish order.  This too is highly unrealistic.  All sides trained their infantry to skirmish, and in each company, the men of the 3rd rank were REQUIRED to be skirmishers as well.  When the company advanced, the 3rd rank went forward to skirmish, whilst the other 2 ranks stayed behind.  When contact was made, the line ranks advanced into range as the skirmishers maneuvered to pick off officers and other vital targets, before retreating to rejoin the ranks.  This is banned in line battles.  Also, it was HIGHLY common, especially in the french army, to deploy ALL infantry as skirmishers.  To quote:

"Major K.F. von Knesebeck saw the French in six engagements, deploy "their entire infantry" in open order as skirmishers "with decided superiority."

"Company of infantry deployed into skirmish chain (tirailleurs de marche et de combat) acted in concert with parent battalion for which they scouted on the march and covered during battle. They were used to repulse the first posts of the enemy, and to probe his position. The object was to throw back the enemy skirmishers onto his attacking troops and - if possible - to carry disorder to its columns. Several companies or even battalions could be employed as skirmishers (tirailleurs en grande bande). The tiralleurs en grande bande acted in large numbers, stormed or defended a position, or turned the flank of the enemy.  In 1814 at La Rothiere, four French battalions were formed in skirmish order by La Giberie to anticipate any attack which might develop in the rear of the wood. The French on occasion deployed even entire divisions [!] in skirmish formations.  George Nafziger wrote that only the French can lay claim to the universal employment of their line infantry as skirmishers."

Source: http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/

Guidelines for Cavalry:

-Cavalry may fire muskets from horseback, but must be in a line as with Infantry.

Another stupid, annoying rule.  This one was, when I last read it, quoted as "for keeping it realistic, guys" by the person who came up with the rules.  Cavalry fired from horseback all the time.  Even curraisars and lancers carried an assortment of pistols and carbines, Hussers were known to carry up to 4 or 5 pistols at once, all loaded and ready to go.  Of course, NW and MM bans carrying more than one gun at any time, and further, banning firing just makes things harder, with the dragoons, the most common cav that is used, being unable to effectively skirmish from horseback, instead having to dismount, and risk losing their horses when they automatically run away.

Now, there are a few things that aren't mentioned in those rules.  For instance, artillery is currently under review in the line battles.  It might be done away with completly, or might be restricted to only one gun.  The reason?  Artillery is too powerful.  It messes up the neat little rows of infantry.  Infantry can no longer stand around in the open, they have to use cover, which is concerded in the line battle community to be dishonourable.

Honour is another thing that is highly unrealistically portrayed.  They ban you from shooting at officers, musicians, or flag bearers for instance.  I once hit an officer in a volley in a line battle, only to be berated for doing so.  According to their twisted view of history, officers, flag bearers, and musicians were, and I quote from the officer who berated me "off limits, they were never fired upon!"

I can go on and on, but I think you guys are getting the idea.  The people who organize the line battles, make the rules, and run the regiments are not historians, and haven't the faintest idea how the Napoleonic wars were fought.  I met some who even thought that the wars happened in the 1700s.    And whilst the bad rules might be few, they cover some of the most important aspects of playing the game, and destroy some of the most important aspects to the idea of having a realistic unit.  A realistic unit would have skirmishing ability, would deploy skirmishers as needed, would be able to use fire and advance and other tactics that involve open order drill with movement and firing.  All these things are banned.

All in all, the mod is great, but stick to the regular public servers.
« Last Edit: 05-05-2012, 06:05:33 by VonMudra »

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06-05-2012, 18:05:42 »
I have purchased the Napoleon DLC.  I've been having a lot of fun playing the Brytenwalda Dark Ages mod but now I'll give this a go too.  Never was a huge fan of Georgian times but hopefully this will be some fun mp.  And I suppose I'll avoid the line battles.  Never have time for that sort of clan stuff anyway.

Offline baz44331

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07-05-2012, 12:05:11 »
Ranks of the Regiment!

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07-05-2012, 16:05:58 »
I just play on Commander Battle servers. It doesn't have emphasis on personal melee skill as much as normal PvP modes. Also, It gives nice feeling of big battle, with groups of soldiers skirmishing around map. If only there was way to order my troops to face and shoot certain target.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #9 on: 09-05-2012, 16:05:49 »
Certainly can agree to that, commander battles with like 4 players and large units are really, really enjoyable. When there's no people online to play with on siege or conquest servers I just join a commander battle myself and hope the other guy is up for teamplay. Actually leading a band of bots is badass  :)
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline baz44331

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12-05-2012, 12:05:10 »
A short history of Prussia's
24th Infantry Regiment

Oberstlieutenant Dallas Gavan
2. Westpr. IR Nr. 7
I Korps
Königlich Preußische Armee

The 24. Infanterie-Regiment was formed on 1 July, 1813. The regiment was formed from 3rd East Prussian Reserve Battalion and the 4th and 5th Reserve Battalions of the Leib-Infanterie-Regiment. It was titled 12th Reserve Infantry Regiment at this time and was considered to be an ad-hoc and temporary unit. With the reorganisation of the Prussian army in March 1815, the unit was made a part of the new regular army, taking the title 24th Infantry Regiment on 26 April 1815. The regiment was not officially granted the title "4. Brandenburisches IR Nr 24" until 10 March 1823.
The organisation of three battalions (two musketeer and one fusilier, or light, battalion) was the same as the other infantry regiments. The regiment had no colours until 3 September 1815, when new colours were presented to the unit in Paris. The Duke of Wellington was one of those who was invited to nail the new colours to the colour pike.

The regiment first saw action as a regiment at Goldberg, where it captured two 8lb guns. It was present at all the major battles of the latter half of 1813. At Möckern it captured another gun but lost 12 officers and 773 men in the fighting.

In 1814 the regiment fought through France, being engaged at St Avold, Metz, Laon (captured three guns) and finally Paris.

In 1815 the regiment was part of 1. Brigade, I Korps and was present at Gosselies, Ligny (where the regiment lost 14 officers and 340 men)and finally La Belle Alliance, where another 7 officers and 137 men fell fighting the French.

For its service the unit was awarded the following decorations:

18 Iron Cross 1st Class
177 Iron Cross 2nd Class

Formed from reserve battalions, the unit wore a number of different uniforms in its ranks though the officers, NCO and some men wore the correct uniforms (with scarlet facings and sky blue shoulder straps) in 1815.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12-05-2012, 15:05:14 »
If you want your rank structure to be correct btw, here are the actual prussian ranks for 1813, and 1814-1815:

http://www.uniforminsignia.org/?option=com_insigniasearch&Itemid=53&result=2181

http://www.uniforminsignia.org/?option=com_insigniasearch&Itemid=53&result=2180

1814-1815

Also, note this.  The little trapazoidal tresse things on the buttons and collar of the enlisted ranks are ONLY for guards units, they were NOT worn by regular infantry, and that includes your unit.

As you can see, there is no such thing as Seconde Leutnant, or Oberstleutnant.  Gefreiter is actually Befreiter, and Sergeant would be used in your unit, replaced by Korporal in guards units (since no one in the guards is a servant, which was the root word for sergeant, the british practiced this as well).

Therefore, for your unit, rank structure would be:

Gemeiner: No insignia

Befreiter: A single strip of tresse above the cuff

Sergeant: Tresse around the rim of the collar and cuff.

Feldwebel: Tresse around the rim of the collar and cuff, and a single strip of tresse above the cuff

For officers, depends on the year you use.  1813 would be like in the 1813 link, and 1814-15 would be using the shoulder boards for Lieutenant and Capitain (their shoulder scales would be for parade dress), and the shoulder scales for Oberst.

Just  hoping this will be listened too and not ignored, maybe to help make your unit a tad bit more authentic.
« Last Edit: 12-05-2012, 16:05:05 by VonMudra »

Offline baz44331

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12-05-2012, 16:05:04 »
lol I did use this ;). but my ranks for officers are the shoulder boards. and the others are Collar boards. dont worry we have done alot of rescreach. But two ranks are made up for our unit layout. there rest are perfect.
« Last Edit: 12-05-2012, 16:05:34 by baz44331 »

Offline baz44331

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19-05-2012, 11:05:50 »
Just a small up date guys!

our custom flag and standard is now in game.. pic:

also our new server is now up!
[FH]_24th_Prussian_Infantry_regiment.

that's all for now guys.

Offline [F|H]Hawk_345

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Honor
« Reply #14 on: 01-06-2012, 13:06:37 »
Hey Guys, I am an Officer in the NR24 regiment here at Forgotten honor.

I decided I should post here and see if anymore of you are interested in joining.

you can add me on steam [F|H]Hawk_345 if you have any questions.

You can also join our teamspeak server at ts.forgottenhonor.com and ask questions or play with us to see if you want to join.

Napoleonic Wars DLC for Mount and Blade it lets you be one of those soldiers in the line.

It is an awesome experience, and if you are at all interested in fighting line battles first hand as an infantryman of the line, please consider joining us.

No prior experience is needed. We welcome all newcomers to the regiment. And if you feel you don't have enough time to dedicate every week to a regiment. Do not worry. At F|H we know real life must come first, if you cant make a training or a battle, all we ask is a simple post informing us you will not be there.

We are an international regiment with people from all over the world.

Here are a few screens I took from just some regular playing and training of the regiment to give you guys a small taste of what we have to offer. (Note these are jsut pics of a small group of us, battles will be much much larger. Keep in mind servers tend to be 200 players)

Here is another taste of what we have to offer:

Here are a couple examples of our medals.

1813 Kulm Kreuz.

Award Reason: Awarded for outstanding marksmanship.

Krönen Orden 4. Klasse.

Award Reason: Awarded to any soldier who distinguished himself trough outstanding performance in several battle.

Pour le Mérite.

Award Reason: Awarded for playing the Regiment drummers in exceptional circumstances in battle.

These are just three examples of 26. All the medals can be viewed here on our website.

http://forgottenhonor.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=medals&group=117

Just to Point out as well The NR24 Line Regiment and the SSB Skirmisher detachment are a new branch of the Forgotten Honor Community.

I have been with Forgotten Honor for 6 years. It is an amazing Community filled with many creative and friendly people. The New Mount and Blade regiment is extension of this long tradition.

Take a look at what we are all about.

Forgotten Honor
About us:

Forgotten Honor is a gaming platform that has a great amount of experience in arranging online events for games. We work our way up to bring you the opportunity to game as the way we think it should be: a full immersive experience. This is what makes FH so different. The context we add to your games creates a gaming environment you can't get with the vainilla game. Because at the end, those huge intense hours of gameplay with us is what makes a game unforgetable. Forgotten Honor has nearly 12,000 registered gamers and partnered up with AAA title developers and distributors.

Forgotten Honor is a platform that put gamers together by giving value for their game experiences.

Facts & Figures:

• 11,400+ registered users (300% growth rate in 2 years)
• 60 long term events for AAA titles
• 80,000+ yearly unique visitors
• Customized & unique interface
• Staff of 35 people (voluntary work)
• Organized immersive events over 1,000 signups (eg. Normandy 1944)
• Partnered up with businesses (eg. 12,000$ cash prizes)
• 7 years of experience

Games:

Arma 2, Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Day of Defeat, IL-2 Sturmovik, Red Orchestra Darkest Hour, Men of War, Minecraft, Mount & Blade Warband, Red Orchestra 2, among others. Featuring mods for Battlefield franchise such as Forgotten Hope, Project Reality, Battlefield 1918, Operation Peacekeeper, Battlefield Pirates and Eve of Destruction.
Upcoming games: Battlefield 3, Company of Heroes

I hope some of you will consider Joining us.

Thank you for your time. And I hope to see you on the battlefield.