Author Topic: Hot spots  (Read 7451 times)

Offline 0utlaw

• View Profile
Re: Hot spots
« Reply #15 on: 22-10-2014, 20:10:12 »
My most recent experience with this was last friday during the F|H battle using the mortar. Not sure if that may be the problem or not since i do not know if any changes have been made by the tournament mod. I rarely have a chance to pub, so I mostly participate in the tournaments of WaW and F|H. Ill try to video record it if this happens again, but thanks for looking into the issue.
« Last Edit: 22-10-2014, 20:10:31 by 0utlaw »

Offline RAnDOOm

• Portugal - Surfs Paradise in Europe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22-10-2014, 20:10:21 »
Hmm, the code says that you should be switched to a new spot automatically only if your current spot expires or there was no spot before that. Can somebody else confirm the problem reported by Outlaw?

Yes. I have the same problem also.

Its quite annoying when that happens.

Offline 0utlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22-10-2014, 20:10:06 »
Hmm, the code says that you should be switched to a new spot automatically only if your current spot expires or there was no spot before that. Can somebody else confirm the problem reported by Outlaw?

After thinking more about the issue, could this be a possibility?

Spot1 initially provides the area or target i want, another player places spot2 in a different area on the map, but does not actually change the view immediately. Next, before spot1 expires, the same player from spot1 places another spot on the exact same target as spot1 (which now may be counted as spot3?) forcing the view to change to spot2 since spot1 is no longer available. This may give the perception of the code not working as intended, when it actually is working properly.  Players sometimes redeploy the same spot constantly prior to expiration. Sorry if this reads as confusing.
« Last Edit: 22-10-2014, 20:10:44 by 0utlaw »

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22-10-2014, 20:10:24 »
Yeah, a spotter respotting roughly the same location can be the reason, if autoswitching happens only on some of the "Requesting artillery strike" messages you see.

Offline 0utlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22-10-2014, 21:10:42 »
So the actual issue is over spotting. I wonder if there is some solution to this besides the players not doing so.

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22-10-2014, 22:10:29 »
For me it seems to be the same. Often you have to cycle back. But I think most of those cases (if not all) happen, when the spotter "respots" his target and slightly adjust his target. Boom old spot gone, new spot at (nearly) the same location.

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22-10-2014, 22:10:38 »
one problem i still have at times with artillery is that i receive a spot, miss fire, begin to adjust... then more spots are given in different areas immediately changing the previous spot i am viewing, forcing me to cycle back. Sometimes the previous spot is gone or the target is no longer there. Is there a way to have the new spots not automatically change the artillery users view until wanting to check these? thanks.

The few times I am on artillery I can agree on this; when I get a new spot, the previous one changes just like Outlaw's (as well as others).

As to the spot disappearing, I think this is when the spotter is either killed or perhaps there is too many spots at a time?

« Last Edit: 23-10-2014, 20:10:49 by Roughbeak »

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23-10-2014, 00:10:49 »
I never had this problem, except the situations in which person whose spot I was using atm changed/adjusted it and resended coordinations or died (what makes the previous one disappear), obviously.

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26-10-2014, 21:10:37 »
Welp. I receive assists even after I die and respawn so I gather that the spot still "sticks" for a while. I can confirm the same issue outlaw mentioned and it is somehow annoying. Sometimes I adjust my coordinates just to see them suddenly change to the other side of the map.

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09-11-2014, 22:11:24 »
Fresh news: to remedy the issue with "respotters", I just made some changes in the artillery code. In the next version of FH2, if a player puts another spot, every gunner who has the previous spot of that player as active, will be switched to the new spot, without intermediate switching to the first spot in the queue and other annoyances. Still, it won't save the gunners from readjusting their guns if the new spot is, say, hundreds meters away from the previous one.

As for when spots disappear: normally spots live for 2 minutes, but if their spotters die or pick up a kit, spots disappear in about 30-60 secs.
« Last Edit: 09-11-2014, 23:11:02 by gavrant »

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 09-11-2014, 23:11:19 »
Awesome news man!

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10-11-2014, 01:11:55 »
That's really cool! But I wonder why don't you already release those small cool things which you have done? Especially when we have the launcher... What are you waiting for? I think even such small updates would keep the players to the mod - they would see that developement is still going and the mod is NOT dead... Don't you think so?

Offline 0utlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10-11-2014, 01:11:08 »
nice fix, ill be sure to test this out :)

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10-11-2014, 16:11:15 »
That's really cool! But I wonder why don't you already release those small cool things which you have done? Especially when we have the launcher... What are you waiting for? I think even such small updates would keep the players to the mod - they would see that developement is still going and the mod is NOT dead... Don't you think so?
Because besides the artillery code, there are other work-in-progress things (not Eastern Front related), and because a release disrupts all development for few weeks.

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 30-12-2015, 13:12:32 »
Can the bots use this or is that still an engine limitation ?