Author Topic: What is wrong with the planes causing CTDs?  (Read 1470 times)

Offline 1fubar++

• View Profile
What is wrong with the planes causing CTDs?
« on: 25-10-2009, 18:10:48 »
What what what on earth is wrong with the planes in FH2? Every time, I mean every time I'm flying a plane in a public server the game crashes to the desktop. This happens only with the planes and only with this mod, though there is ramdom crashes on the end of round too.

I have fresh isntall of windows and the game and I've been experiencing these CTDs from the very beginning of the mod release. Now in 2.2 it seems even worse, because the game crashes always once on every round when flying, regardless which plane it is.

There is only one exception to this. On Operation Totalize this usually won't happen since lowering grapich settings significantly, but with the rest of plane maps the CTDs remains. I'm very confused since this mod is really the only one where the CTDs occur.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
Re: What is wrong with the planes causing CTDs?
« Reply #1 on: 25-10-2009, 18:10:47 »
Does the CTD occur at any given moment or can you see a trend?
Then another thing to no is what system are you running.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline 1fubar++

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25-10-2009, 21:10:00 »
I can't say if there has been any specific trend, but it has happened very often when diving on a fast speed and terrain starts to reveal. That is the reason why I thought lowering the graphic settings would help to resolve the issue. Other situations, which I can recall, have been while passing another plane on close (hearing) distance or changing camera view (F10 to F9). Regardless to that, it can occur while none of those factors are present. Also usually the game starts first to lag slightly (twitch) before the CTD, but these two are not always related.

System info: Windows 7 x64, 2 GB RAM, nVidia 8800 GT 320 MB, X-Fi Gamer; previous system Windows XP x64, same hardware.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25-10-2009, 21:10:52 »
Hmmm the 2GB RAM are bit on the low side.
Have you run a memtest lately? FH2 needs due to the BF2 engine quite a lot of memory and if your RAM is a bit old it might cause a crash at 2GB.

Offline Tim270

• PR Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26-10-2009, 01:10:11 »
Yeah, I think its a memory issue, the 1.5 was supposed to allow bf2.exe to use more then 2gb but it did nothing.

I used to get random crashed all the time when playing PR/ sometimes FH2 when loading maps or randomly ingame

try this

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f27-pr-support/39649-i-found-fix-memory-dll-error-vista-32-64-bit-users.html

see if it helps. Since I think i have only crashed a handful of times in about 6 months.

Offline 1fubar++

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26-10-2009, 07:10:59 »
Hmm, seems this is somehow related to BF2 1.5 patch and unfixed memory errors. There was a special modified BF2.exe distributed in PR forums, which supposed to fix these memory issues, but I haven't been using it anymore. Maybe I should try that again, but I'm afraid FH2 won't accept it due to PB kicks. We will see.
« Last Edit: 26-10-2009, 07:10:18 by 1fubar++ »

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #6 on: 26-10-2009, 14:10:43 »
Can I tell you what I experience, which is very similar, the majority of desert maps I play, if I fly, I will at some point encounter a CTD like fubar.  When playing Totalize I have only CTD three times since 2.2 release, and once had a clean round where I was not shot down and achieved the holy grail of flying for a whole round without getting shot down (yes it was a full server).

What's the trend for me?

I've mentioned this before, a while back in the old forum, I'm thinking it's got something to do with 'force connect' no this isn't Jedi powers, I'm talking about when I am in a plane and someone is waiting to join the server, and they keep clicking on the server name in the connection menu, because I am peaking (I guess) the performance of FH2 by whizzing about in a 109 for some reason I get kicked first, it takes me about 1min to get back into the loading menu only to find the server I CTD from is now full.
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26-10-2009, 15:10:37 »
That would be the first time I hear something like this, but I think it isn't the cause.
The servers are full after you CTD because there are just oh so many people waiting to join a popular server.
I bet if we could get everyone waiting for a place to join a not so popular server we would have at least 1 or 2 more full servers every evening! ^^

Offline Ekalbs

• Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26-10-2009, 16:10:41 »
Yeah, I think its a memory issue, the 1.5 was supposed to allow bf2.exe to use more then 2gb but it did nothing.

I used to get random crashed all the time when playing PR/ sometimes FH2 when loading maps or randomly ingame

try this

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f27-pr-support/39649-i-found-fix-memory-dll-error-vista-32-64-bit-users.html

see if it helps. Since I think i have only crashed a handful of times in about 6 months.

hmmm... this looks very familar, this bastard ripped me off....
Warhammer 40,000: Unverse At War Dev Team
Battlefield 1918 Coder

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28-10-2009, 11:10:32 »
as some said before your memory is low
when you fly you see lots of statics models textures etc that all need to be loaded in the memory.
and you see them in fast succession stressing the memory even more.

and btw the FW190 (bomb version) has a crashbug, only switch weapons with the "change weapon  key" not with mousewheeel(that will make you crash).
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline 1fubar++

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29-10-2009, 07:10:30 »
I don't think the main reason is the low amount of memory. After all 2GBs is quite a lot for a game, which game engine has been originally released in 2005. The main reason is memory sanity errors of the game, which seem not to be fixed even in the latest patch. The errors will cumulate faster when you are using lot of memory, like in FH2, and will result to crash when the memory is transfered to virtual memory, for instance. So to avoid problems with memory sanity you better have a lot of extra memory in reserve.

For me that would mean buying also a new Mobo and processor (which I need to do at some point anyway), as the RAM which I already have is hyper expensive, even in nowdays. There is always some limits what you are ready to do just for a game.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29-10-2009, 08:10:28 »
Just sell your hyper expensive RAM and buy 4GB of conventional RAM till you plan your next upgrade. You won't even miss the 10% speed boost  which you get from the expensive one.

For me, FH2 and the Battlefield Series has always been a good reason to upgrade. Since it is the only game which I continuously play for years. I bought like 5 GFx Cards over the last 7 years just for BF. :)
There is nothing like playing FH2.2 lagfree with 1960:1080, 8xAA and 16xAI!

Offline 1fubar++

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29-10-2009, 11:10:41 »
Yeah, the game is awesome at its best, but there are other things in life that can be awesome aswell ;) For instance ungrading my RAM to 4GB with lesser performace (from 550 to 400 MHz DDR) would cost almost 200 euros minus the income selling the old RAM, as new decent parts with much better performance would be under 300 euros (minus selling the old parts). So just upgrading the memory wouldn't be very economical. I could also put the 300 euros on travelling, or on liquor and women, or on drugs... just kidding.

Back to the topic, lowering the graphic settings even more should help aswell, as the game would consume lesser memory. Probably what I'm going to do untill getting the new rig.
« Last Edit: 29-10-2009, 11:10:27 by 1fubar++ »

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29-10-2009, 11:10:32 »
200€? Wow...What Motherboard are you runnig?
I can get 4GB DDR2-1066 RAM here for just under 80€.
And if you still run DDR then I have an offer for 4GB DDR-400 for 108€

But I guess your right in the end, wait for an upgrade (did the same just 2 weeks ago) and then invest 600€ and be done with it for the next 2 years.
« Last Edit: 29-10-2009, 11:10:13 by N24Reporter »