Author Topic: Picture of the Day (Other eras)  (Read 910607 times)

Offline SadCamelion

• View Profile
Re: Picture of the Day (Other eras)
« Reply #8070 on: 09-03-2016, 14:03:54 »
I don't get it anymore with the many fronts and conflicts...
There aren't enough Italian tanks.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8071 on: 09-03-2016, 15:03:29 »
There are basically 4 faction in Syria.

• The Syrian Armed Forces (SAF) mainly consist of the Syrian Arab Army (SAA), under command of Bashar al-Assad, supported by Russia, the libanese Hezbollah and Iran. They form the shiite axis.
  • The Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) consist of the kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) and some minor groups, supported by the USA and some other western countries.
  • The Free Syrian Army (FSA) is an association by many minor groups, including Al-Nusra (Al Qaeda), mainly supported by Saudi-Arabia and Turkey. The New Syrian Army is a subdivision of the Free Syrian Army.
  • Finally there is ISIS/Daesh, lacking a major supporting country.

The Syrian Army is fighting all groups except the Syrian Democratic Forces and vice versa. The Free Syrian Army is fighting all other groups, just like ISIS/Daesh does.
« Last Edit: 09-03-2016, 15:03:46 by Dukat »

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #8072 on: 09-03-2016, 15:03:58 »
Dukat, do you have any sources about this ghost army?  I can't find anything by googling it.

Djinn - the Ghanaian army's shades game is off the charts.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #8073 on: 09-03-2016, 17:03:31 »
So, FSA is fighting the YPG as well?

While you call SAF the Shia block, it is also safe to say that FSA forms the Sunni block.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8074 on: 10-03-2016, 02:03:31 »
Dukat, do you have any sources about this ghost army?  I can't find anything by googling it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Syrian_Army

So, FSA is fighting the YPG as well?

Since YPG is pushing to unite northern Syria under the kurdish flag, the FSA became an enemy. This is a recent development. Just yesterday the Free Syrian Army started shelling the YPG held district of Sheik Meqsud in Aleppo. There are also reports that the district is being shelled with chemical weapons.

https://twitter.com/mutludc/status/707295642994024448

While you call SAF the Shia block, it is also safe to say that FSA forms the Sunni block.

The Hezbollah is a shiite organisation. Iran is the shiite supreme power in middle east. Syria is mainly sunni, but Assad relies on the alawites minority to keep himself at power. The link with the shiite axis (or shia crescent) is mainly a tactical-political decision. The FSA on the other side is definitely sunni, as it is backed by Saudi-Arabia.

The Shia Crescent

Military Situation in northern Syria, March 8th 2016. YPG/SDF is only 30 kilometers away from Raqqa.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #8075 on: 10-03-2016, 05:03:39 »
This interesting discussion should not be in Daily Pictures thread.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8076 on: 13-03-2016, 04:03:48 »

Some of the current push directions in the syrian conflict, March 12th, 2016.

If you'd ask me, ISIS is the weakest player in the game, and even Assad and Free Syrian Army started pushing hard for ISIS territory. I guess this race for pieces of territory will be going on for a while with ISIS being the first loser.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #8077 on: 13-03-2016, 07:03:10 »
No shit, they were gang-banged by American and Russian altogether. How is Raqqa? The last time we heard, the rebels were like 30 km away.

Meanwhile in Indonesia, there is a growing number of returning jihadists, confessing against the IS. Urging would-be foreign fighters not to believe the IS propaganda. Not too dificult to comprehend I guess, when you were promised with hermitic life based on some religious theme, yet presented with constant brutal murders, slavery, and street justice.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8078 on: 14-03-2016, 00:03:15 »

Battle for Palmyra, March 13th, 2016.

The fights between Syrian Army and ISIS in Palmyra are very heavy. ISIS is determined to deny Assad an easy victory, exhausting resources.

The city of Palmyra receives heavy shelling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuSVsqFDvIc

While Free Syrian Army's 13th Division leader travels to Geneva for peace talks, al-Nusra wipes out his unit in Aleppo/Idlib area and seizes all equipment. FSA's moderate 13th Division is no more.
« Last Edit: 14-03-2016, 00:03:35 by Dukat »

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8079 on: 17-03-2016, 02:03:48 »

Military Situation in Deir Ezzor Governorate, March 15th, 2016.

It is kinda amazing how the syrian Republican Guard manages to keep ISIS in check for such a long time.

Actual combat footage:
https://twitter.com/MmaGreen/status/710126900174192640

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8080 on: 18-03-2016, 01:03:10 »

Military Situation in northern Syria, March 8th 2016. YPG/SDF is only 30 kilometers away from Raqqa.

Military Situation, Northern Aleppo, between Manbij and Tishrin Dam, March 17th, 2016.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8081 on: 19-03-2016, 05:03:43 »

Military Situation, Nusaybin, Turkey, March 17th, 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZZLo4FvrOg

Turkish M60, Nusaybin.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8082 on: 20-03-2016, 23:03:19 »

Northern Aleppo: the territorial control as of February 27th, 2016, 10 A.M.

Northern Aleppo: the territorial control as of March 20th, 2016.
Free Syrian Army is pushing eastwards, occupying ISIS territory. ISIS is under high pressure in the area of Al-Bab and Manbij, being attacked by the YPG pushing via Tishrin Dam.

In case you wonder what organization level the FSA is having, watch this bodycam footage from central Syria, where Rebels of Suqur al-Jebal attacked the village of Al-Sakhr held by the Syrian Arab Army in northern Hama, March 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GYWWr9KZaA

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8083 on: 24-03-2016, 16:03:41 »

Battle of Palmyra, March 24th, 2016.

The current story that can be found everywhere in mainstream media is this: The syrian army entered Palmyra. Rumors about ISIS trying to negociate with the army, while the army is refusing. Or stories about ISIS fleeing the city towards Raqqa.

I'd rather stick with this: the roundabout of Al-Zira'ah is already considered Palmyra city limits, nevertheless it is quite a distance to the city center. Syrian army took several important hilltops, overlooking Palmyra, giving them a clear tactical advantage.

Hotel district in the southwest got cleared by Hezbollah, btw. Seems like the syrian army relies on ingenuous cannon fodder for the urban combat.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8084 on: 26-03-2016, 00:03:09 »

Battle of Palmyra, March 25th, 2016.

Syrian Army attacks on Al-Amiriyah and Airport have been repelled by ISIS tonight.