Author Topic: Being a "sniper"  (Read 22033 times)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Being a "sniper"
« Reply #30 on: 13-06-2009, 20:06:08 »

Don't move! He'll lose you if you don't move.

THAT THEORY HAS BEEN DISCOUNTED!!! RUN!!!!

I never bought it anyway. He would be banging into things all the time.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 13-06-2009, 23:06:41 »
The whole "can only see movement" was a ridiculous idea to begin with. Why would T-Rex even have had eyes closer to each other than other dinosars if it would not have had stereoscopic eyesight, and why would it have only detected movement? Do we even have a single modern animal with eyes close to each other that could not focus its eyes and would not detect a stationary prey?

On-topic, for a sniper, it's much easier to hit a stationary target than a moving one. So if a bullet strikes the grouhd a few inches from you and you are lying prone in the open, chances are that the next one has your name written on it already. And since you don't usually know whether a sniper is hunting you, you'd better move if you are not fully in cover.

Offline Fearbefore.

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 14-06-2009, 01:06:40 »
That last bit is good advice, Kelmola, particularly when you keep in mind that in FH sniper kits are not common and in all likelihood you are a) a fair distance away from where you can pick up a sniper kit, b) your team doesn't control a close enough spawn point for you to be able to quickly respawn and re-pick up your fallen kit before it disappears, and c) the sniper class tends to attract a lot of stupid, arrogant noobs and that a sort of plane camping is not uncommon if the location of the sniper kit is well known.

You should also keep in mind that on occasions where you have two different rifles to choose from (some maps you have the Mosin Nagant or SVT40, the Kar98 or G43, the Springfield or Garand, etc.) that which rifle you choose can have a big impact on your success. If you are on Alpenfestung, for example, as an Allied soldier, you can choose between the Springfield or the Garand on the table at the Allied airfield. Although I personally prefer the Garand, keep in mind that with the semi-auto rifles like the Garand, G43 and SVT40, you can get away with a 'desperation shot', i.e. when an enemy discovers your location and comes to fight you at close range, you can empty your entire clip at that enemy in desperation (keep in mind you have no crosshair with a scoped rifle) whereas this is close to impossible with the bolt-action rifles.

That said, the bolt-action rifles above tend to be more accurate over longer ranges, and often carry more individual bullets. If I remember correctly, again on Alpenfestung, you get 8 clips of 5 rounds with the Springfield, whereas you get 3 clips with 8 rounds with the Garand.

Offline Fearbefore.

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 16-06-2009, 21:06:34 »
Ohh, and if you only play online, find your favorite sniper rifle and practice with it as much as you can, even if that means switching teams/always being allied or axis, etc.

Offline Ekalbs

• Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 28-06-2009, 09:06:21 »
Snipeing is an art...

Its all about opportunities. A good sniper will know his surrounds, the entire map, and the quickest way to get from "A to B". The location you set up in is important like what every one said. Stay away from mosque and church towers, god hates snipers in his house. But anyways around these locations are prime spots for the s-mine you carry, for if you kill someone that's the first place they look for you. another thing is most people will be drawn toward that area so if you stay "near" the sniper pickup spot you will attract you competition. Okay now on to the three main points earlier. Know you surroundings... Y would u hide there if you can name no more than three in 30 seconds stay because its not an obvious spot, you want two things for your snipeing spots cover(from bullets and sight) and the ability to see. Secondly why would your enemy come near your location. if you are in an area with something valuable(a special kit, a spot to get a drop on your base, anything attractive like that) move, it will attract extra attention. Now you want to know the entire map, my favorite place for snipeing is at the airfield, you have a lot of plane campers well standing there. Another thing may be considered smaktardish is camping "over" spawns if you know where an enemy spawns take aim a shoot, but once if you miss dont shoo(and miss) again. Other good opportunity points are turrets, tank spawn and of course special kit spawns. A to B is well line up near b so you can see A and you have nice targets moving toward you.

Other tips...
1. Shoot once, you may shoot again if the target seems to of not "noticed you". stop after three and give the kit to someone else.
2. Use typical behavior to pick your spots.
3. Set as high of screen resolution as possible.
4. (havent done this) turn graphics down so plants dont load and you have clearer shots at opponents.

top o list with sniper is possible got 47 kills with sniper in a match. took two squads down with sniper who where advancing at me to win the match. so yeah i kinna know what im talking bout :P sorry for long post if it bugs you. 
Warhammer 40,000: Unverse At War Dev Team
Battlefield 1918 Coder

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 28-06-2009, 13:06:35 »
top o list with sniper is possible got 47 kills with sniper in a match.

not bad at all, I think my record lies at 19 or so. Then again I usually don't play sniper the whole round and don't pick up the rifle again after I lost it.

Offline Cin3k33

• Lobo`s younger sister
    • View Profile
    • eXavs
« Reply #36 on: 29-06-2009, 10:06:09 »
Team Poland1 as Germans lost one round in NatCup with Team Benelux 0:9, because of their sniper. We played el alamein and we captured hill, then we wanted to attack miterya trenches and cannons but when whe showed up, sniper and other took us out. We exacly knew where he was hidding. We spotted him but we used all our mortar rounds before. That was time to use rifle granades but sith, we still can`t use it :D That was time when we needed weapon called Pyathoss, but huh, he was working and could not appear.

I don`t use sniper in way you use it. On maps where I can`t get thompson I use sniper rifle as assault rifle.
Once at el alamein me with scoped no.4 and fredthekillah with enginer class captured miteryia defended by 7 guys.

When you use it as assault rifle remember to take someone with you who can cover your sides. Scope have realy thin field of view.

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 29-06-2009, 10:06:21 »

4. (havent done this) turn graphics down so plants dont load and you have clearer shots at opponents.

imo this is almost "cheating"
good thing normandie grass and vegetation wont be faded for low settings.
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline Ekalbs

• Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 01-07-2009, 05:07:52 »
lol 47 is my best, most of the time i score around 20 but a lot of things happens :p. i prefer second line attack and will pick it up when i can, i hate having to camp for a gun so screw camping. Also a high screen resolution helps XD.
Battlefield 1918 Coder

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 04-07-2009, 04:07:40 »
Stay away from mosque and church towers, god hates snipers in his house.

Lol, too true. I stay away from his various houses in real life to, just to be safe.
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 06-07-2009, 04:07:37 »
Remember, never hide in acommon position.

Church towers are damn common, try to find a place behind boxes etc.

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #41 on: 08-07-2009, 21:07:17 »
If you have CoD2, join the {S-K} server. they have a lot of custom maps. It's good training for sniping ingame. teaches you to actually think.

Offline Fearbefore.

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 09-09-2009, 23:09:29 »
Random bump. Anyone has some more random little tips and tricks post'em up.

Offline Havoc2090

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 10-09-2009, 00:09:55 »
Isn't turning the graphics down on BF2 kind of cheating abit, that you can see where enemies are, i mean 99% of the time i have my graphics on High because i like FH2 in all its glory, i think its stupid turning your graphics down just so you can kill enemies more easily, why can't people play the mod/game properly?.

Its abit stupid if your a sniper  and your hiding in a bush or near a tree and someone has his graphics turned down to Low, that means hes going to spot you...
We haven't the proper facilities to take you all prisoner! Sorry!, We'd like to, but we can't accept your surrender! Was there anything else? - Quote from A Bridge Too Far

Offline Ekalbs

• Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 10-09-2009, 00:09:40 »
Isn't turning the graphics down on BF2 kind of cheating abit, that you can see where enemies are, i mean 99% of the time i have my graphics on High because i like FH2 in all its glory, i think its stupid turning your graphics down just so you can kill enemies more easily, why can't people play the mod/game properly?.

Its abit stupid if your a sniper  and your hiding in a bush or near a tree and someone has his graphics turned down to Low, that means hes going to spot you...

lol just a suggestion....i will post some 2.2 hints as soon as i can get a hold of the bloody thing.
Battlefield 1918 Coder