Author Topic: [SOLUTION] FH2 crashes often on win7 / vista  (Read 58261 times)

Offline fh_spitfire

• Developer
  • FHer since 0.6 | aka spitfire05
    • View Profile
[SOLUTION] FH2 crashes often on win7 / vista
« on: 15-05-2010, 11:05:53 »
If you have Windows Vista or Windows 7 and FH2 crashes often for you, this may help you.

1) Go to the folder where you have Battlefield 2 installed.

2) Find FH2.exe and right-clik on it, than select Properties

3) Select "compatibility" tab and tick (turn on) "Disable desktop composition". Like here:

4) Click OK and enjoy the game :)

P.S. Remember to ALWAYS run your Forgotten Hope 2 via FH2.exe or a shortcut on your desktop created by installer.
« Last Edit: 15-05-2010, 12:05:55 by Spit »

Offline Paige

• View Profile
Re: [SOLUTION] FH2 crashes often on win7 / vista
« Reply #1 on: 21-01-2011, 08:01:49 »
doesnt work.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21-01-2011, 09:01:22 »
doesnt work.

It helped a few people with older systems.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline IrishReloaded

• Leader of Irishforce
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21-01-2011, 09:01:24 »
run under XP SP3 and as an Admin too

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03-02-2011, 22:02:08 »
Greetings! + Queries!  :)
Pc not working -wont start up, (on a late  '90's steam powered laptop at the mo.)

It may be something as simple as a motherboard battery fail. BUT I want to be prepared should I need to order new parts etc

If I have to get some new stuff I may upgrade from XP 32 bit to Windows 7.

DOES FH2 WORK "PROBLEM FREE  - EASY-PEASY -  ON WIN 7 ??? Should there be any problems?  :-\
(I'm aware of something running in Admin mode or some gobledeegook!)
If it does. What Win 7 should I get I hear there's 32 and 64 versions, which is best? (for FH2 play)
I have 64 bit and it works fine

I ask as I once installed Win Pro 64 bit on my PC and there were no drivers to work my printer on that!  ;)
That may still happen with "older"printers
I have two 2G sticks of DDR2 on my XP 32 bit system at the moment (and still get CTD's inbetween map changes)

What Ram should I  go for if I upgrade to Win 7 the DDR3? FH2 work ok on that?
DDR3 is better if you can buy it
Help a dude out here! Cheers ;D
cheers

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Comrade Roe

• Achtung panzer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09-06-2011, 19:06:11 »
Greetings! + Queries!  :)
Pc not working -wont start up, (on a late  '90's steam powered laptop at the mo.)

It may be something as simple as a motherboard battery fail. BUT I want to be prepared should I need to order new parts etc

If I have to get some new stuff I may upgrade from XP 32 bit to Windows 7.

DOES FH2 WORK "PROBLEM FREE  - EASY-PEASY -  ON WIN 7 ??? Should there be any problems?  :-\
(I'm aware of something running in Admin mode or some gobledeegook!)
If it does. What Win 7 should I get I hear there's 32 and 64 versions, which is best? (for FH2 play)

I ask as I once installed Win Pro 64 bit on my PC and there were no drivers to work my printer on that!  ;)

I have two 2G sticks of DDR2 on my XP 32 bit system at the moment (and still get CTD's inbetween map changes)

What Ram should I  go for if I upgrade to Win 7 the DDR3? FH2 work ok on that?

Help a dude out here! Cheers ;D
My internetz hate me on my computer, but yeah at least singleplayer runs lag-free perfectly on FH2. Except when I crash. *uses this fix*

Biiviz

« Reply #6 on: 17-07-2011, 13:07:33 »
Hello guys, I'm having some problems with CTDs here.

I'm running Vista 32bit with BF2 installed on a different partition from Windows with a fresh installed BF2 1.41 + 1.50 + FH2.4 full install.

I have WinXP SP2 compatibility and Disable Desktop Composition checked under FH2.exe's properties and running on an administrator account.

Regular CTDs occur suddenly when playing (screen flickers to black and then back to desktop) and when loading a map (freezes and mouse "hourglass" is shown indicating a non-responsive application). I tried running Disable Desktop Composition checked but not compatibility mode when it froze during map loading (around 30%). When I alt-tab to check the error I see the following:

Notes:
-I don't alt-tab during gameplay
-I'm running on high settings, with screenres 1024x768 75Hz
-Using the installer-made desktop shortcut
-No other programs running actively in the background
-I've had the same computer since ~2007 and haven't had problems with BF2 before, FH2 however has always had some issues. I doubt it's a hardware related problem.

Does any of this sound familiar or perhaps even solvable? I'd greatly appreciate some help!

Offline Comrade Roe

• Achtung panzer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21-07-2011, 20:07:23 »
Hello guys, I'm having some problems with CTDs here.

I'm running Vista 32bit with BF2 installed on a different partition from Windows with a fresh installed BF2 1.41 + 1.50 + FH2.4 full install.

I have WinXP SP2 compatibility and Disable Desktop Composition checked under FH2.exe's properties and running on an administrator account.

Regular CTDs occur suddenly when playing (screen flickers to black and then back to desktop) and when loading a map (freezes and mouse "hourglass" is shown indicating a non-responsive application). I tried running Disable Desktop Composition checked but not compatibility mode when it froze during map loading (around 30%). When I alt-tab to check the error I see the following:

Notes:
-I don't alt-tab during gameplay
-I'm running on high settings, with screenres 1024x768 75Hz
-Using the installer-made desktop shortcut
-No other programs running actively in the background
-I've had the same computer since ~2007 and haven't had problems with BF2 before, FH2 however has always had some issues. I doubt it's a hardware related problem.

Does any of this sound familiar or perhaps even solvable? I'd greatly appreciate some help!
I have a identical problem, but it usually happens just when i finished loading a map. Usually after a couple hours of playing. Only once have I gotten specifically the "memory.dll" message though. It differs slightly every time.

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22-07-2011, 00:07:10 »
Im getting the stupid BF2 memory error, at EVERY map change...and I have 8gb of ram. What seems to be the problem?

Offline Gunnie

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30-07-2011, 00:07:13 »
It has nothing to do with your computer system memory, but more to do with how BF2's game engine utilizes memory. The game engine only allocates so much memory toward specific tasks, ie.. Storage..

When a map loads, items are preloaded or loaded with the map that are found on the map. All maps have textures for the map itself, as well as, the objects upon the map.

Typically, what is happening is you are running out of texture space. When I have had this error and debugged, 9 times out of 10, the error is due to textures.   Therefore, sometimes I wonder if it is graphics card memory related, rathar than system memory?

About all one can do is reboot and sometimes that clears things up.

Biiviz

« Reply #10 on: 12-08-2011, 14:08:47 »
Besides reinstalling 1.41 I advice checking  out this clip with tips on resolving memorry.dll erros :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc-Em6SFJj4

This fixed my memory.dll problem. No CTDs whatsoever.

Offline omnipheasant

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20-08-2011, 22:08:28 »
worked for me, win7, asus sandybridge system.  thanks!

Offline CologneSky

• with FH since the very beginning! (FH 0.5b baby!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10-01-2012, 03:01:46 »
dont know if this is pure coincidence but since i installed Proj Reality & the "alt-tab" patch which it includes, I have virtually no CTDs anymore (I used to have CTDs every hour or so..)

Offline Kwiot

• POLISH ACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03-02-2012, 10:02:39 »
I installed FH2 on my notebook, because it has better preferences. Unfortunately, I don't know why, but the the game always crashes while loading winter maps. It crashes always at the same time - during loading textures. I tried what you suggested, but it didn'r work. I think it's rather graphics problem though... Any suggestions?

Offline Sgt. Destruction

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22-03-2012, 22:03:00 »
Besides reinstalling 1.41 I advice checking  out this clip with tips on resolving memorry.dll erros :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc-Em6SFJj4

This fixed my memory.dll problem. No CTDs whatsoever.

The link says it is a private video.  Any help?