Author Topic: Screenshots of games you play [big pics, 56k warning]  (Read 249835 times)

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
The King is an idiot and needs your help!
« Reply #2250 on: 26-07-2015, 21:07:00 »
WARNING: LONG POST AHEAD!

...Alright, lately EU IV has been taking all my free time...

I started playing England with the intent of winning the Hundred Years War, or failing that fleeing to the New World and becoming a colonial superpower.

Anyway, since the last patch England and France start at peace so I had a few years to expand while waiting for the HYW to continue. Unfortunately I haven't played for a year or so, so after buying a few expansions and the changes in the patches I have no idea what I'm doing, and I'm slowly rediscovering how the hell the game works.

The first thing I did was start expanding into Ireland. That went fairly well and I got a province and a vassal there. The War of The Roses disaster was averted by a few Royal marriages that produced an heir after a few years (this was a really stupid outcome as anything has to be better than the idiot Henry VI with his godlike 0/0/0 stats). But his heir William turned out to be just slightly wiser.

After that France decided it's time to kick off the war again so they DoWed me. Fortunately I allied Provence who were smart enough to fight them in the mountains and drained their ridiculous manpower. The North of France was basically won and the war turned into a stalemate thanks to me having no idea how the new forts system worked. A few years and loans later I was up to 60 % warscore and tired of fighting so I made them release some insignificant OPM, pay me lots of cash and give both me and Provence a province.

Let's just say it was a mistake. In the few years of truce I rebuilt my manpower and managed to fudge up in Ireland as Connacht got to siege first and they ended up being a two province vassal of mine. While France returned to the stage stronger than ever and decided to whack it's neighbors Burgundy and Brittany

Meanwhile the truce with France expired and I noticed their war turned extremely bloody so I decided to join and maybe beat up France properly. Unfortunately they peaced out with Burgundy and Brittany was broke. I also failed to notice that I was falling behind in military tech which meant that France killed 10 of my peasants for every man-at-arms my peasants killed.

The runaway vassal

The war soon went even more awry when France managed to miraculously persuade Savoy to join in the middle of it. With this they averted a major catastrophe as by then they were over 800 ducats in debt and relied mostly on mercenaries. After that Provence decided to suicide in an attack on Paris where over 30 000 French and Savoyards were having a tea party. I decided to end this bloody thing before everything went bananas and peaced out, reverting any progress made since the last war, and losing my newly acquired vassal.

The European cluster****

Anyway the year is 1467 A.D. and Europe is in turmoil. There's war (or the consequences of war) everywhere. England is in a precarious situation being 400 ducats in debt and lacking any technological progress. Logically, I decided the best course of action is to attack some weak but cash-laden nation to cover my costs. The Hansa seemed a perfect piggy bank but there's a problem, they're part of HRE and Austria will protect them. So I though, why not ally Austria and then attack. Of course that didn't work as the devs thought about this cheap exploit, but it did have some... interesting ... consequences.

The Austrian problems

Austria is currently supporting the Genoese in their defense against the evil Crimean hordes, which are in turn supported by the Ottomans. Of course, the Emperor being deep in war is a perfect opportunity for smaller powers to steal provinces from him. Or so the Venetians thought. So I got dragged into that too. Naturally, I have no intent of actually helping anyone in their goals, I'll just go around and loot their gold.

The Ottoman Crusade

But there's a problem. The Ottomans are smart and have landed their army in Genoa. The war might be over soon and my plan of filling my coffers might epically fail.

The Burgundian decline

But I noticed another opportunity. Burgundy is deeply hit by the turmoils of their war with the French in which they lost their big vassals Flanders and Brabant and also the Heretics have taken up almost half of it. I could kick them now while they're on the ground but being in so many wars at once is kinda nerve-wrecking. So what do you guys think, should I just go for it and hope I can regain my strength faster than the dreaded French until the truce ends?

This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
Re: Screenshots of games you play [big pics, 56k warning]
« Reply #2251 on: 07-08-2015, 20:08:24 »
Nostalgia time!

"US para in action near Eindhoven"

"US AT squad under heavy artillery fire"

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: 08-08-2015, 02:08:40 »
Company of Heroes 1?  I tried 2 once (albeit a long time to go) and it seems to lack some vital verve that COH 1 had.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: 08-08-2015, 09:08:28 »
Company of Heroes 1?  I tried 2 once (albeit a long time to go) and it seems to lack some vital verve that COH 1 had.

Idk how 2 plays (got into beta but never bothered to download it) but I just love the amount of mods that COH 1 spawned. And the best thing is, most of them are pretty awesome and offer a ton of great content that is rarely seen in other games. And most of them fix the overly-arcady feeling of vanilla COH.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: 08-08-2015, 09:08:51 »
Blitzkrieg, Battle of the Bulge, The Great War and Eastern Front are my favorites.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: 08-08-2015, 14:08:10 »
Blitzkrieg, Battle of the Bulge, The Great War and Eastern Front are my favorites.

I'd add Europe At War to that list:

Churchill tanks of King Force charging an Afrika Korps HQ

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: 08-08-2015, 14:08:18 »
I'd add Europe At War to that list:

Never played it.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: 08-08-2015, 15:08:29 »

Never played it.

Well you should, it has quite a lot of added content (and is available as a Steam download too):

http://store.steampowered.com/app/342370/

;)

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: 08-08-2015, 15:08:55 »
No time, no interest.

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: 09-08-2015, 01:08:11 »
COH1 one had epic mods as you mentioned... COH2 doesnt have them sadly... Some said that COH2 has multi core processors support... If yes, why do I have to play on more lower graphic settings comparing to COH1? Why optimization of games is so poor nowadays?  ::)

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: 16-08-2015, 02:08:25 »
ik zal handhaven!

btw: Reformed christianity is best christianity!

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: 21-03-2016, 20:03:18 »
I have been getting into the Combat Mission WW2 titles recently, great military simulations and while the graphics are unspectacular, these are the only games similar to FH2 in terms of historical detail and accuracy. Very difficult and hard to get into though. The screenshots are from a historical mission I have been stumbling my way through in Combat Mission - Red Thunder (Eastern Front June to September 1944). I have to clear out Soviet cavalry infiltrators from a wooded area.

Moving up a Panzer IVH into overwatch...

... which draws fire from a Russian infantry gun. Rather harmless to my Panzers.

However, when I try to maneuver another tank into a position to knock it out, it gets hit by something more substantial (45mm?) and the crew decides to bail.

Meanwhile a Panzergrenadier platoon scouts up to a little forest...

... and receives a hail of PPsH41 fire. I deduce that there might be Russians in there...

So I drive up the rest of the company, disembark the infantry and start to clear out the forest.

Some dead Russians, but more are probably lurking in there.

I kind of feel like doing one of these campaigns like back with WinSPWW2....

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: 22-03-2016, 16:03:54 »

Do it!  I have no time to play the vidya games so I need to live vicariously through someone else.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: 22-03-2016, 17:03:33 »

Do it!  I have no time to play the vidya games so I need to live vicariously through someone else.

Hehe.
Problem is, afaik you can't rename squad leaders in this, like you can in the other game. The fun part of those campaigns was having forum members ingame. Also, in WinSPWW2, squads are abstracted so the leaders always die last, which is not the case here, meaning people would be be much more likely to die.

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: 07-04-2016, 13:04:25 »
Videos welcome too? Sorry for my noob recording/editing skills.

https://youtu.be/TiNzXnt-7qo