Author Topic: the thread that isnt big cuz of its content, but because of the word swastika  (Read 14407 times)

Offline timoarto

• View Profile
i have had this in my mind for since... 2 days, its an idea on how to make the gameplay even more realistic.
*to start i'd definitly like to see all first person view animations also in real-time, for example, the fixing of the rifle-grenadelauncher and munution is beautifully animated when you do it yourself, but if you see someone else doing it, its just the hand touching the barrel, and thats it.
*then there are the unusable vehicles, if you put an useable opel truck beside a non-usable one you see no diffrence, to see that diffrence you will have to throw a bomb/grenade/shoot a grenade/ and watch wich one will explode. the useable one does, i think its not very realistic when i can hide my panzer behind an opel truck just because i cant use it, i think all vehicles should be explosive!
*in the heat of battle it might be that you stand in front of your squad leader, who suddenly screams incoming, i would nearly believe that i would get a bomb on my head, if it wasnt the dry figure in front of me who doesnt do anything to simulate what he actually said, off course i know you cant have moving mouhs or something, but a sudden move of the head, look to the sky, and a pointing finger would be nice.
* this is one i came up with for no reason, i think it would be great if there was a short "greet" animation when you pass an officer/ someone higher in rank. for the germans it could be the "greet", but just a smal one, and not correctly performed since its a battle. and for the allies, you know the regular hand-beside the head greeting.
* another immersion thingy, when you look down, you dont see your feet, actually dont see anything,  think that could be changed

thanks for your time.
oh, and im NOT nazi, for the ones who are making conclusions so fast.
« Last Edit: 18-04-2009, 18:04:07 by timoarto »

Offline Lightning

• Dreamcrusher
  • FH2 Dev
    • View Profile
Re: some points for more realistic gameplay
« Reply #1 on: 18-04-2009, 14:04:54 »
*to start i'd definitly like to see all first person view animations also in real-time, for example, the fixing of the rifle-grenadelauncher and munution is beautifully animated when you do it yourself, but if you see someone else doing it, its just the hand touching the barrel, and thats it.
Possible, but very time-consuming and added immersion is minor.

*then there are the unusable vehicles, if you put an useable opel truck beside a non-usable one you see no diffrence, to see that diffrence you will have to throw a bomb/grenade/shoot a grenade/ and watch wich one will explode. the useable one does, i think its not very realistic when i can hide my panzer behind an opel truck just because i cant use it, i think all vehicles should be explosive!
I kind of agree. Usually though the unusable vehicles are in such as position that you can tell they are unusable.

*in the heat of battle it might be that you stand in front of your squad leader, who suddenly screams incoming, i would nearly believe that i would get a bomb on my head, if it wasnt the dry figure in front of me who doesnt do anything to simulate what he actually said, off course i know you cant have moving mouhs or something, but a sudden move of the head, look to the sky, and a pointing finger would be nice.
Also very time-consuming.

* this is one i came up with for no reason, i think it would be great if there was a short "greet" animation when you pass an officer/ someone higher in rank. for the germans it could be the "greet", but just a smal one, and not correctly performed since its a battle. and for the allies, you know the regular hand-beside the head greeting.
The nazi greeting is illegal and thus won't ever be added. Besides that, saluting was not commonly done in combat, as any enemy watching would see who the officer was and he would get shot first.

* and last but not least, a point about the iron cross. its not historically correct saying the germans used the iron cross in their flag, it can even occur people may start thinking the german military used the iron cross as their sign! and you can say what you want,if you claim to be historically accurate, and make a game thats set in world war 2, and you can fight on the german side, its not facist anymore to wonder why there aren't any hakenkreuzes in the game, since you actually can play the germans, who HAD hakenkreuzes. and about offending, well, i understand that, even though i wouldnt play this game if i had a hakenkreuz/swastika trauma, but i repect people who do so. so instead of removing it completely, there could be an option to switch between historically correct, and user friendly.
Swastikas are illegal in some countries. For this reason we have decided not to add them.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18-04-2009, 14:04:56 »
Hmmm playing for a day and already so many suggestions. ;)
I'll try to help you out here as well.

EDIT: Lighting was faster, but as you see we both have the same info.

i have had this in my mind for since... 2 days, its an idea on how to make the gameplay even more realistic.

3rd Person animations are really hard to do iirc and thus with having only a finite numbers of animators this is a bit that takes really long to impement, even if it is possible with the BF2 engine (many things aren't that's why I mention it.

Exploding statics would be nice, but iirc the network coding for BF2 sets a limit to the ammount of networkables on a map, this includes vehicles and kits thus making the game more unstable when more vehicles are on a map. So I don't think this will come to pass.

Same problem as with the first suggestion, 3rd person animations and then there is that bit that NO officer will take it lightly when you greet him in the field during a battle! It's like an invitation to get shot. ^^

* and last but not least, a point about the iron cross. its not historically correct saying the germans used the iron cross in their flag, it can even occur people may start thinking the german military used the iron cross as their sign! and you can say what you want,if you claim to be historically accurate, and make a game thats set in world war 2, and you can fight on the german side, its not facist anymore to wonder why there aren't any hakenkreuzes in the game, since you actually can play the germans, who HAD hakenkreuzes. and about offending, well, i understand that, even though i wouldnt play this game if i had a hakenkreuz/swastika trauma, but i repect people who do so. so instead of removing it completely, there could be an option to switch between historically correct, and user friendly.
thanks for your time.

There have been countless arguments about Swastikas on the german flag, but this is afterall a game and I still want to be able to play it in Germany where the portrayal of Swastikas outside of historic context or art is forbidden. I think what we have ingame atm is the best compromise possible and I like it.

Hope that cleared it up before you get eaten by the forum wolves. ^^
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18-04-2009, 14:04:26 »
This message was very hard to read. But I managed to get through it:

Wilco

That would be a nice touch, but I dont find this necessary. I personally dont watch others whatever they do, its a detail which can be looked through fingers imho. Would be nice to have, but nothing we would actually benefit greatly from.

You CAN see the difference between statics and vehicles. Statics got shadows and other light settings affecting on them.

Sure, it would be cool to have the slight soldier model animations, it would increase a lot of immersion. But again, how many actually ever really paid that much attenttion to the hand signals what the soldiers had in BF42?

It is supposed to be heat of the battle, you dont usually greet any officers during battles because it might give out high ranking officers to enemy snipers and such. Besides, in the heat of battle, I really doubt it really mattered if you greeted someone with the nazi salute or not because there was so much hot lead coming at you, trying to murder you. I personally see no real point in this, except for Machinima purposes.

thanks for your time.

Swastikas arent used in FH2, for whatever fucked up reason (You read me right...). Yet they will surely use the Scythe and Hammer of Soviet Union, even thought in some countries it is still as touchy subject as the Nazi Swastika is for Germany. I personally think its alright theres just the Iron Cross replacing the Swastika, but while FH2 is very historically accurate, it is a shame there wont be SS nor Swastika symbols in their correct places.

Nah. We would all be nazis then. Dont worry!

Offline bosco

• View Profile
    • Project Reality
« Reply #4 on: 18-04-2009, 14:04:16 »
We can always wait for a Historical Skin pack like there was for FH1. Somebody will do it.

Offline timoarto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18-04-2009, 14:04:48 »
i forgot about those countries, ideed, maybe a skinpack as the one above sugested then?

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18-04-2009, 14:04:37 »
I think I read in the old forum that these skinpacks don´t work with BF2.
The reason swastikas in video games are forbidden in Germany is because games aren´t considered as "art". It´s ok to show them in movies as long as they´re not there to gloryfy the 3rd Reich but only because movies are "art" whereas games are....not "art". Stupid, yes...
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline bosco

• View Profile
    • Project Reality
« Reply #7 on: 18-04-2009, 14:04:53 »
Custom skins work as long as the server doesn't run MD5 checks.

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18-04-2009, 14:04:51 »
Sure, it would be cool to have the slight soldier model animations, it would increase a lot of immersion. But again, how many actually ever really paid that much attenttion to the hand signals what the soldiers had in BF42?
I do, the thumbs up or down animation was just great. It sure as hell would be nice to have a load of animations (gestures) to match the commands you give, but priorities lay elsewhere for good reasons (gameplay features are more important). :p

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18-04-2009, 15:04:28 »
Yet they will surely use the Scythe and Hammer of Soviet Union, even thought in some countries it is still as touchy subject as the Nazi Swastika is for Germany.
Nazi AND Soviet symbols are banned eg. in Lithuania. Surely the also respect Lithuanian laws.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Lobo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18-04-2009, 15:04:18 »
Swastikas arent used in FH2, for whatever fucked up reason (You read me right...). Yet they will surely use the Scythe and Hammer of Soviet Union, even thought in some countries it is still as touchy subject as the Nazi Swastika is for Germany.

You know perfectly the reason so lay off the acting, Oscars is next year, flippy

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18-04-2009, 15:04:57 »
Well, we will see when the Soviets are in if there will be Scythes and Hammers around...

And what comes to acting, I do believe I would do great in hollywood.

But what goes to swastikas, because of the silly rules, others must suffer. Bullcrap.  :-X

Offline Lobo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18-04-2009, 15:04:40 »
You can bet your life the soviets will proudly wave the Scythe and Hammer glorious banner and The International will sound in some radio.

1) Legal reason: because it's not banned in any country, you can see aswell Rising Sun flags in this mod because such flag is not banned at Japan or any other place, so no, evilness of their owners is not the reason to add or not a flag in the mod.

2) Philosophic reason: Scythe and Hammer is the symbol of worker class, period, not the weird symbol of a group of psycho assassins devoted to exterminate any poor soul that didn't accomplish their antropometric obsessions. Did Stalin and other monsters waved it?, for sure, but was also waved for those who were killed so we have now a good life. Swastikas in the other hand was adopted by the nazi scum from the very start and is the symbol of a hateful, racist and genocide ideology, no ifs ands or buts about it.

Offline fh_spitfire

• Developer
  • FHer since 0.6 | aka spitfire05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18-04-2009, 15:04:03 »
Scythe and Hammer is banned in some countries as well. So if there are no swastikas in FH2 I do hope there will be no red flags with that commie symbol (yeah, commie, not symbol of working class ::) ).

EDIT:
Apart from all that discussion I have nothing against Scythe and Hammer in game, but the same goes for hakenkreuz...
« Last Edit: 18-04-2009, 15:04:53 by [F|H]Spit »

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18-04-2009, 15:04:43 »
You can bet your life the soviets will proudly wave the Scythe and Hammer glorious banner and The International will sound in some radio.

1) Legal reason: because it's not banned in any country, you can see aswell Rising Sun flags in this mod because such flag is not banned at Japan or any other place, so no, evilness of their owners is not the reason to add or not a flag in the mod.

2) Philosophic reason: Scythe and Hammer is the symbol of worker class, period, not the weird symbol of a group of psycho assassins devoted to exterminate any poor soul that didn't accomplish their antropometric obsessions. Did Stalin and other monsters waved it?, for sure, but was also waved for those who were killed so we have now a good life. Swastikas in the other hand was adopted by the nazi scum from the very start and is the symbol of a hateful, racist and genocide ideology, no ifs ands or buts about it.

OH OKAY!

So that means us finns can have our swastikas in our armoured vehicles and airforce? Thanks Lobo!  ;D

EDIT: Didnt Thorondor just say Soviet symbols are banned for example in Lithuania? So... there you have it. They are banned _somewhere_, thus violating their laws. We cant have them now.
« Last Edit: 18-04-2009, 15:04:27 by Flippy Warbear »