Author Topic: FH2 Mapping Tips: Destroyed by explosion  (Read 2447 times)

Offline samnadine

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Honor
FH2 Mapping Tips: Destroyed by explosion
« on: 07-10-2009, 17:10:15 »

Destroyed by explosion

FH2 Mapping Tips

Creating a good battlefield terrain will allow the players of your map to get a feeling of playing in a real combat terrain, an environment of action.

One easy way to create combat areas is designing craters on the terrain layout. As more details you add in your map layout more interesting it will be using your terrain as 'natural' cover. If you are trying to design a map following historical accuracy standards check first if artillery or planes shelled/bombed the area. This is specially important for bigger areas where you see a lot of craters.

For smaller areas, more focused on details and urban battlefield, you have the option of simulating destruction caused by grenades, tanks or other explosives. This will improve a lot the fighting taking place around the flags, which in most cases have buildings around and which are the most played map areas.

When you are designing your combat areas damaged by explosions, always imagine how it would be for both sides. Check where can attackers/squad leaders hide, check where defenders can take cover. Craters in open battlefield generate new gameplay areas by giving cover for attackers, as result they stay in the holes and shoot&advance from there.

Today I will be giving some tips to design destroyed areas caused by explosives. For this little guide I'll be using Pointe du Hoc and Operation Goodwood maps from FH2. However there are more FH2 maps which are good examples to get inspiration for your mapping designs.

You can enlarge the pictures by clicking on them, click again and they you will get the full size 2048*1152 pixels. 

You can feel how much money has been wasted by shelling and bombing the area for hours, at the end Allies found out that the weapons were moved away before the rangers arrived. What we can see is:
- brown sandy terrain color
- big rabbish heap all over the place, full of destroyed concrete pieces
- irregular layout, you aren't able to find anything flat
- full of craters, some closer to others

The bombing damaged the ridge and you can see how sand and trash are falling down, if not almost. Probably the crater next to it was responsible for this.

Destroyed bunker parts of concrete around a crater. A bomb destroyed something.

Same than before. You even see here that the bomb landed on the top of the building (or whatever it was) and everything is around in circle. Smoke mapping effects are cool, it looks like it happened recently.

Shapes have all forms. Some craters are very close to each other.

I happy to know I wasn't there that day. This is an extreme situation of mass bombing/shelling, but it is useful to see the position of each crater. Avoid designing them with order.

Brown dirty grass, I guess the vegetation is dead. It's nice to see the little green texture merged with the brown and grey. See also the shape.

Before placing any destroyed static think of what could it destroy? how would it look like?

The area had this green color before being destroyed by artillery or planes. Changing the texture gives the feeling of moved earth, the grass which was there disappeared. Keep in mind that craters don't create mountains or hills (a very little), so in this picture probably there was a small hill before.

Good example of a recent destroyed static, as said before, the smoke effect is a good plus.

One important thing to consider before designing craters is to put yourself as an artillery officer or pilot: 'what's the objective?', 'how would be the bombing?'. If the objective was destroying a specific building, which was occupied by the enemy, then you will try to hit the area. It's never 100% accurate and sometimes there are big mistakes maken.

In this picture you can see a big plane bombing, which left a few bombs falling one after the other. The road was broken, with a destroyed truck on it. No trees, no grass anymore.

Same happens with buildings. Destroyed buildings are caused by explosives. If it's destroyed by artillery or planes, then you will see craters around.

Inside the building there's earth, sand and destroyed furniture.

A very good example of a road destroyed by explosions. You can see even the barbed wire destroyed.

Another example of destroying a road by a random shell. It's nice to see the grey grass, which means that dust has covered the grass around. Also another detail is the electricity post, destroyed next to it.

Not just roads are victims, actually everything can be destroyed. Here we see a destroyed fence with a few remaining pieces of it around.

Heavy destroyed area. See the road, the fence and the electricity post.

Building are the main objectives. It was not common to shell open areas without specific building or objects targets. In that case or are wrong targets or vehicle targets. The church on the picture is a good example for a destroyed city/town. The texture around the building is destroyed trash, and you can even see the old church doors laying on the ground. Note that buildings which surround the objective, if not the area, are also victims of the explosions. Before the shelling there was a truck parked there.

Destroyed bulding in detail. See the texture, the terrain layout and the furniture.

Don't forget displacing objects. Even trees which survived could be lightly inclined.

Destroyed wall. Last three pictures show that the objective was the church because of the craters around.

This texture is very useful for destroyed buildings, then add the papers on the ground. The car placed there gives you also a cover while you attack or defend on the main street. Remember, while you design you have to combine design and gameplay.

This is a very nice crater. The earth covers the street, both wall sides have been destroyed. See also the destroyed buldings around, and don't forget either the crater on the crossroad.

This was everything for today. I'll be writing more mapping tips, which are a continuation of the inspirational guide I've done a while ago. I hope to see nice combat areas in your maps. Keep sharing pictures of your maps   ;)

Thanks to Forgotten Hope 2 for these beautiful maps. Hopefully the mappers can give us a few more extra tips.

samnadine
www.forgottenhonor.com
Maps by FH2 team.

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
Re: FH2 Mapping Tips: Destroyed by explosion
« Reply #1 on: 07-10-2009, 18:10:13 »
This is all nice and well but I could never have the patience to dwell in such detail :P
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline Aggroman

• FH-Betatester
  • This place needs more love -> ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07-10-2009, 18:10:14 »
Read this on the FHT forums already.

Thanks for that awesome description for doing destroyed environment.

Offline kettcar

• Developer
  • Mapper / News Journalist
    • View Profile
    • SWIZZ Gamingnet Community
« Reply #3 on: 07-10-2009, 18:10:45 »
nice tut, i will read it when i do my destruction areas on brest ;D

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07-10-2009, 19:10:47 »
How do you do that smoke anyway?  ???

azreal

« Reply #5 on: 07-10-2009, 19:10:41 »
>static objects>ambient bundles

Offline TheShovelMan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07-10-2009, 20:10:37 »
This is all nice and well but I could never have the patience to dwell in such detail :P

Thats why some maps are good and others are bad.

Very nice post sam.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07-10-2009, 20:10:41 »
Is there any picture of Point du Hoc. So I can compare it to the FH2 map.
Edit: Found some:

FH2 did a pretty good job here.

« Last Edit: 07-10-2009, 21:10:37 by NTH »

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

azreal

« Reply #8 on: 07-10-2009, 20:10:47 »
nvm

Offline samnadine

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Honor
« Reply #9 on: 07-10-2009, 21:10:24 »
Is there any picture of Point du Hoc. So I can compare it to the FH2 map.
Edit: Found some:

FH2 did a pretty good job here.

indeed. Keep in mind this is 60 years later, now there's grass and the earth has been smoothed (wind, rain). Also the whole area has been cleaned after the war.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #10 on: 07-10-2009, 23:10:36 »
What do you mean by cleaned? Explosives etc. are removed but all the rubble is still there. I've seen it, very interesting to visit. Gives a real feeling, have to search up my old pictures..
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline samnadine

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Honor
« Reply #11 on: 08-10-2009, 00:10:57 »
I wanted to say that you see the big rubble still there, but the time (60 years) covers the smaller pieces because of the wind or the rain. Same effects does the grass (earth and sand changes). I'm pretty sure that the day after the combats there was much more rubble today.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08-10-2009, 00:10:35 »
I'm sure they at least sweeped it for explosives

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08-10-2009, 08:10:31 »
the big bunker pieces are still left at pointe du hoc as well as the caved-in ones which are impossible to clean without literary dig out the huge quantitities of earth and stones but that would disrupt the scene.

the craters are much bigger in real life but we cant have craters in the game that you cant get out of.

real life PDH has way too many getting-stuck places than would be possible ingame..

Offline powerz2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13-10-2009, 15:10:54 »
Good tutorial! Thank you!