Author Topic: Random suggestions/feedback  (Read 927 times)

Offline Karst

• View Profile
Random suggestions/feedback
« on: 01-08-2012, 14:08:38 »
Hello everyone.
First off, my eternal gratitude to the devs for creating something that, well, can't be compared to anything else.
I haven't exactly been active in the community since the forums moved here, but I've been playing on and off since .5 for BF42, and Forgotten Hope has retained a certain "something" ever since that kept me coming back.

I'd like to make a few observations/suggestions, it seemed to me like the General Feedback section might be more appropriate, but apparently you aren't supposed to post threads in there.
Sooo....here goes, in no particular order.

AT rifles. Now, I know this has been discussed to the death. I believe the consensus is that they're not terribly useful, which reflects the way things were IRL.
The main problem I see with them is their incredibly limited accuracy.
The way I understand it, the accuracy is nerfed so they can't be used to snipe infantry, the argument being that the AT kit should be used against vehicles, and that the presence of a pistol and AT explosives balances out the inability to effectively combat infantry.
However, I think this is a bit much. Frankly, the pistol is seldom of use considering said kits are mainly found in very large, open NA maps. The same fact limits the usefulness of short range explosives.
And considering the AT rifles have to be deployed will always ensure they can't really compete with standard rifles against infantry.
Add to this the fact that these kits are limited, and I really can't see why they were made as inaccurate as they are. To demonstrate my point, I've added some screenshots to show the deviation.

Aiming at the non-swastika on the supply crate:

The hit:

Further testing showed this to be a quite decent result actually, deviations of ~25 cm at ranges of under 20m were the norm.
The Boys produced virtually the same results.

I just can't imagine it would cause balance problems to make them more useful at engaging infantry, not to mention AFAIK they were indeed often used in this role because of their lack of effectiveness against armored targets, and because they were, IRL, in fact quite accurate.

A very small thing I just noticed today: For some reason, the VW beetle veers strongly to the left in reverse. Is this intentional? If so, why? Try it out, you'll be amazed.

Moving parts on vehicles (i.e. armored hatches): An awesome feature in my opinion, and one that should be applied to all vehicles that have such hatches, specifically:
The AEC Deacon and Marmon-Herrington clearly have such flaps, although in either case they appear to have no vision slots at all, which is a fair trade off for increased protection I suppose.
The SdKfz 222 has that folding mesh to keep grenades out, and though I doubt it would be used for that purpose ingame often, it could at least obscure the driver's head a bit.
The Kübelwagen has a folding canvas roof like the Willy's, but it doesn't fold. Would be very nice if it did.

Grenades. It seems to me that most grenades that aren't regular frag, concussion or smoke models have excessively low throwing distances. The Italian AT grenade in particular comes to mind - even I could throw it further than the ~7 meters that are possible now. The blast radius also seems incredibly small.
Also, I think smoke grenades, in particular the large No 77, could deal more damage.
That amount of white phosphorus should be enough to incapacitate foes at least in a very small radius.

These things:

They are, as far as I can make out, stakes to act as support for tomatoes or something.
Can we PLEASE have their collision turned off? It's rather annoying when a charging soldier gets stuck on what's essentially a thin stick in the ground.

And lastly, the MG 81. Awesome weapon, can we have an infantry version? Please?
As the war drew towards the end and the Luftwaffe couldn't really get planes in the air anymore, a lot of them were apparently given to the Heer.

That's all I can think of for now, thanks for reading everyone.

PS: Add Panzer III and Maus!
« Last Edit: 01-08-2012, 14:08:35 by Karst »

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
Re: Random suggestions/feedback
« Reply #1 on: 01-08-2012, 14:08:08 »
You know what? I actually approve this suggestion! See, lads, that's how you make a proper suggestion, with arguments and pictures to help illustrate your point.

I've been campaigning for increase in AT rifle usefulness for a long time. There could be material penetration included for them so you can damage infantry behind thin wooden fences etc, but sadly, it's a lot of work.

Also the abandoned mobility kill system would work wonders if you could immobilize a tank with a few accurate shots to the tracks. But the system is said to be too buggy to provide a decent experience.

EDIT: Just noticed the end of your post... What a way to ruin a good suggestion...  :P
« Last Edit: 01-08-2012, 14:08:23 by LuckyOne »
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Karst

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01-08-2012, 14:08:05 »
EDIT: Just noticed the end of your post... What a way to ruin a good suggestion...  :P

Eh, it was just for nostalgia's sake, I know they were annoying, but I couldn't help but be amused by those two vehicles being suggested constantly back in the day.....both very silly suggestions, but for entirely different reasons  :P

Offline FH2forums

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11-09-2019, 06:09:33 »

Eh, it was just for nostalgia's sake, I know they were annoying, but I couldn't help but be amused by those two vehicles being suggested constantly back in the day.....both very silly suggestions, but for entirely different reasons  :P

Wait, what's wrong with suggesting the Panzer III?

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11-09-2019, 16:09:21 »
I's already in.