Author Topic: Installed revivebf2 and now FH Launcher does not work.  (Read 3079 times)

Offline |30+|Air

• View Profile
Greetings,

I have been using the FH2 Launcher since it fist came out with no issues.  I installed the revivebf2 launcher to play BF2.  After several tires I got it to work.  Now I am getting an error message when I run the FH2 Launcher.  Degbug assertion error, Invalid Gamespy url.  I would love to figure what was changed and put it back.  Just a warning to others that might want to install the launcher from revivebf2.com.  Any help or suggestions would be great.  Thanks.......
« Last Edit: 18-07-2014, 22:07:30 by cadprofessor »

Offline Mayhemic.MAD

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Installed revivebf2 and now FH Launcher does not work.
« Reply #1 on: 18-07-2014, 22:07:16 »
http://www.battlelog.co/post.php?id=307
As you can see, they made a copy of the bf2.exe with the master server url changed. FH2 also has its own modified exe, so in theory you should be able install and use both without any conflicts.

Anyhow, I recommend to just install the FH2Launcher again if it got broken. If you then still have any problems with FH2 use the "repair" option of the Launcher.
Der Motor des Panzers ist ebenso seine Waffe wie die Kanone.
Heinz Guderian

--- Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!! ---

Offline |30+|Air

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18-07-2014, 22:07:39 »
Thank you for the reply.  I have tried both those things. Uninstall and repair and I am getting the same error.  I  will let you know if I find a solution.

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18-07-2014, 23:07:34 »
Could you post a screenshot of the error message?

Offline |30+|Air

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19-07-2014, 00:07:19 »
i have attached a screen grab of the error message. Strange thing is I don't have BF2 installed on C drive. I have checked the path listed in the error screen and there is not a directory on my C drive with that name.  A file search for the cpp file turned up nothing.   I get the error message if I start in windowed mode.  If I start in full screen mode I get a black flash and then it returns to the desktop

I am in the process of downloading the BF2 and FH2 updates to re-install if I can't get this fixed soon.  I hope others will not have this issue since I do still like to play BF2.  It would be a shame to not be able to play both.  Thanks so much for the help.
« Last Edit: 19-07-2014, 04:07:10 by cadprofessor »

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19-07-2014, 13:07:17 »
Ignore the file path in the message, it's an additional info for DICE coders.
And this error is thrown by the game .exe, not by the FH launcher.

My guess is that you somehow ended running a wrong game .exe. Do you launch FH via the FH launcher?
Or perhaps your FH2 copy is outdated. See the FH launcher -> Options -> About -> "Version: ...". If you have the most recent FH 2.47, it should say 2.8.603.

Offline |30+|Air

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19-07-2014, 16:07:26 »
Everything had been running fine using the FH2Launcher until I installed and ran BF2 Launcher.  Running FH2.47  about reads version 2.8.603  version of launcher 1.21.0.0.   I guess I am going to re-install.  I do have a backup of my BF2 and FH2 folders from my documents.  Can I plug those back in after the install?  Thanks again for the feed back.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19-07-2014, 20:07:42 »
I guess I am going to re-install.  I do have a backup of my BF2 and FH2 folders from my documents.  Can I plug those back in after the install?  Thanks again for the feed back.
Yes, you can. That way you can re-use your profiles and some other stuff like your screenshots, etc.

Offline |30+|Air

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19-07-2014, 21:07:11 »
After doing a complete uninstall and then reinstalling BF2   1.41, 1.50  FH2 2.46 then the launcher, did an update and then ran the launcher. I got the same error message as what I was getting before.  I DID Not re-install bf2r.exe.  So I stated looking around in the Win Reg and this is what I found.  So what does them mean?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\bf2]
@="URL:Bf2 Protocol"
"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\bf2\DefaultIcon]
@="BF2R.exe,1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\bf2\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\bf2\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\bf2\shell\open\command]
@="\"E:\\Program Files\\EA GAMES\\Battlefield 2\\BF2R.exe\" \"%1\""

Offline Mayhemic.MAD

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19-07-2014, 22:07:09 »
I think those reg entries will make your windows start the bf2r.exe when you click on a bf2://.. link on a website..
FH2 has the same, but we start the fh2launher.exe when you click on a fh2://.. link

So again both things do not interfere with each other and should not matter anyway if you start the exe directly and then select a server ingame.
Der Motor des Panzers ist ebenso seine Waffe wie die Kanone.
Heinz Guderian

--- Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!! ---

Offline |30+|Air

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19-07-2014, 22:07:47 »
You say they should not interfere, but that has not been my experience so far  :^))      Something is causing the problem and it all started right after I installed the other BF2 launcher yesterday.

So I just installed again...This time I stopped at FH 2.1 and was able to create a single user account and play.  I will now try to install 2.46 and then update and see what happens. 

Installed 2.6 ran the updater.  Updated,  updater hung after it completed the update and I hit the play button.  I was able to go into FH2 using a single player account.  If I try to use any of the other multiplayer accounts I get the same error message.  Is there  a way to clear the info in the launcher and start from scratch?  So, what should I try next?
« Last Edit: 19-07-2014, 23:07:30 by cadprofessor »

Offline |30+|Air

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20-07-2014, 02:07:14 »
Well I broke down and did a system restore to this past Tuesday.  That seems to have solved the issues.  I am not getting the errors at FH2 startup.  I still think there was something that was changed in the Windows Reg that was causing the problem.  Since the errors still continued even after several installs and disappeared after the system restore.

I want to thank all of you that gave advise and help.  Back to the game.....

Offline sgt.Felox

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23-07-2014, 15:07:28 »
I had also tried bf2 revive and now when I want to play via the FH launcher it crashes.  :-\

Offline |30+|Air

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23-07-2014, 15:07:14 »
I hope you can do a system restore or have a backup of you reg because that is the only thing that worked for me.  I know I did at least four clean installs of BF2 and FH2 and nothing worked until I did a system restore.  I am assuming that  the new bf2 launcher does something to the reg that prevents the fh2 launcher from running.     If you set the options in the fh2 video to windowed mode you might be able to see the error message when FH2 crashes.  Good luck.

Offline sgt.Felox

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23-07-2014, 19:07:00 »
No I didn't have backup, can't do a restore system.