Author Topic: Achtung, Spitfeuer: Pilots gather!  (Read 18071 times)

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
Achtung, Spitfeuer: Pilots gather!
« on: 08-04-2009, 14:04:42 »
So, I'm no fly boy but I as well an any old grumpy infantry grunt also like to take a spin in a Messerschmidt or a Hurricane once in awhile

So please share your tips to make our travels in the North Africa Desert more pleasant

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
Re: Achtung, Spitfeuer: Pilots gather!
« Reply #1 on: 08-04-2009, 16:04:43 »
just a few basic thing i want to add

USE THE MOUSELOOOK
in this mode you cant steer the plane when doing so but it gives you a much better overview.
specially in dogfights this can give you the edge over the enemy.

another thing is the airbrakes, i cant count the times i shock a hurricane of my stuka tail with this nifty little thing. if you suddenly "step" on the breaks when the enemy is in a bad position behind you he will fly past you most of the time giving you a chance to shot him down or flee.
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline Kildar

• Have a nice day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08-04-2009, 16:04:57 »
Allied planes tend to do turns faster then their axis counter parts
Axis planes climb faster then their allied counterparts.

So when you have a plane on your tail, as axis go for more loop de loops. If you are Allied start going left or right and dont stop till they stop chasing you.

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08-04-2009, 17:04:08 »
To add a question here...
I wonder if my feeling is correct - the Messerschmidt has a faster max. speed, yes? And does it also accelerate faster?

Offline Kildar

• Have a nice day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08-04-2009, 18:04:09 »
I think allied fighters have a faster Acceleration. The 109 might have a faster top speed.
« Last Edit: 08-04-2009, 18:04:15 by Kildar »

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09-04-2009, 01:04:12 »
Hoo boy.  So many tips, but I can't find the words for some of them.

First off, it's usually a horrible idea to go vertical if the enemy is right on your tail.  If you go nose up, he'll follow, and while both are of you are bleeding airspeed, his guns will line up nicely with your fuselage.  However, if you jink left and right a bit first, and pull up as soon as you think he's lost visual contact on you (hopefully he's neglecting his mouselook), you might be able to get the drop on him (In this situation, maybe try an Immelman Turn*).  Finally, the 109 seems to perform better in the vertical plane than its competitors.

Next, be sure to vary your speed when necessary.  If you go balls to wall the whole time, someone who lets off on his throttle a little might be able to get an advantage on you, be it out turning you or even "Slamming on the brakes" and "making [you] fly right by" (Right Maverick?).  Even in a dogfight, if the enemy is behind you, try letting up on the throttle and engaging the airbrake.  The enemy pilot might over shoot his mark, at which point you push the power back up and try secure your advantage.

Try to keep your altitude.  The higher you are, the more options you have available to you.  If you're high enough, you can try diving to the deck, hoping your opponent misjudges something and smashes into the sand, or you can try a Split-S** to quickly reverse your direction and confuse your opponent.  Practice to find out the correct altitude where you can safely perform maneuvers.  Also, the planes can perform extremely tight turns at the end of a high speed dive, so use that to your advantage (it's likely a side effect of the BF2 engine being built for jets instead of propeller-driven planes, but if you have to live with it, might as well use it to help you).

A quick tip: don't forget your rudder controls.  If you bank left and rudder right, you will be able to maintain approximately the same altitude, depending on the angle of your roll.  This way you can continue turn with your opponent without losing too much altitude.  You can also use your rudder to assist in targeting.  Because the airplane guns in FH2 don't have any convergence (yet :crosses fingers:), they fire directly straight ahead.  If you're strafing a ground target and your guns are hitting directly left and right of the target, try sweeping them back and forth across the enemy by using your rudder.  Also, if you're right behind an enemy plane and aren't doing as much damage as you think you should be, try adjusting your aim with the rudder.  The best place to hit an enemy plane is the forward half of the fuselage (i.e the engine and cockpit).  The wings and tail of the plane (or more correctly, their hit-boxes) are kind of wonky, especially in dogfights.  The BeauFighter's wings (at least around the engines) seem to be ok to aim for, thoguh.

Finally, the Dicta Boelcke can be used even for FH2.  Even though it was originally conceived for WW1 era dogfighting, it stills holds true.  A more in-depth explanation can be found at Wikipedia: Dicta Boelcke.

1: Try to secure advantages before attacking. If possible keep the sun behind you.

2: Always carry through an attack when you started it.

3: Fire only at close range and only when your opponent is properly in your sights.

4: Always keep your eye on your opponent and never let yourself be deceived by ruses.

5: In any form of attack it is essential to assail your opponent from behind.

6: If your opponent dives on you, do not try to evade his onslaught but fly to meet him.

7: When over the enemy's line never forget your own line of retreat.

8: For the Squadron: Attack on principle in groups of four or six. When the fight breaks up into a series of single combats take care that several do not go for one opponent.

Happy hunting and see you in the skies!

* Immelman Turn:

** Split-S:

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #6 on: 11-04-2009, 17:04:27 »
Damn, I think the mouse look view (ctrl+mouse) feels so stiffed and forced, I would really like a more "human" touch on it, like if you could look more to the far right and left

Now it's just as far as straight right and left and nothing beyond

Do I get your support in a possible suggestion thread? :)

Offline ZeroSen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12-04-2009, 02:04:43 »
And if you are good enough and have someone on your tail you can always try a snap roll, that will bleed off some airspeed and will put you on the enemy's tail.

azreal

« Reply #8 on: 13-04-2009, 20:04:32 »
I've always found that newer/inexperienced pilots tend to stay low, exposing themselves to AA fire while they search for targets. So a good tip is to stay just below fog level, roll upside down and use mouse look to search for enemy fighters below you.

Also make sure you check your 6 constantly, as a 109 with its centerline MGs can down a spitfire from behind before he realizes what is happening.

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13-04-2009, 22:04:44 »
I got a question there..

I wanted to try a bit of flying in the SP.
I am steering with the keyboard (wasd) and the joystick.
Now to use the mouselook I have to switch the hands to the mouse - that sucks.
How do you guys do that? Do you use some tool that enables mouselook with the coolie hat or something? And if yes, if you use that or a similar tool, can you still use your mouse in a normal fashion, i.e. can I still do infantry fighting without problems?

Offline Zrix

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13-04-2009, 22:04:51 »
I got a question there..

I wanted to try a bit of flying in the SP.
I am steering with the keyboard (wasd) and the joystick.
Now to use the mouselook I have to switch the hands to the mouse - that sucks.
How do you guys do that? Do you use some tool that enables mouselook with the coolie hat or something? And if yes, if you use that or a similar tool, can you still use your mouse in a normal fashion, i.e. can I still do infantry fighting without problems?
What stick is it?

If it's a Saitek it can be easily configured in the programming software.

And yes, adding a mouse function to a hat should have no impact on the regular mouse behaviour.

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13-04-2009, 23:04:17 »
Nah it's not a Saitek.. thanks anyways.
I just thought I'd remember someone saying there was a tool out there which did this in the old forums.. hmmm

Offline Zrix

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13-04-2009, 23:04:09 »
Nah it's not a Saitek.. thanks anyways.
I just thought I'd remember someone saying there was a tool out there which did this in the old forums.. hmmm
Hm, yea I remember something like that too. Can't seem to find it though.

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13-04-2009, 23:04:07 »
All hail me, I have it, Niam said:

There is a nifty little programm called JoyToKey which binds keystrokes and mouse movement to your coolie hat. I'ts then possible to look around with your coolie hat without pressing any additional keys.

Thank you Niam.

Offline Zrix

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13-04-2009, 23:04:39 »
All hail me, I have it, Niam said:

There is a nifty little programm called JoyToKey which binds keystrokes and mouse movement to your coolie hat. I'ts then possible to look around with your coolie hat without pressing any additional keys.

Thank you Niam.
Sweet. I was googling mouse to stick and key to stick, with no luck.