Author Topic: FH 2.2 freezes after loading a map  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Medi

• View Profile
FH 2.2 freezes after loading a map
« on: 13-09-2009, 11:09:55 »
Hey, I didn't find any other threads about exactly the same problem I'm having so hopefully It's not one of those very rare problems only 0.0001% of people have. Otherwise I'm probably shit out of luck.

Anyway here's my problem: Everytime I join a server my game will freeze after the map has finished loading, forcing me to do a hard reset, which in turn will cause the shaders to get f'd up. So after every failed attempt to try and see if it works I have to fix the shaders. It's driving me nuts.  >:(

The weird thing is vanilla BF2 works perfectly in sp and mp. FH2 also works in singleplayer, the freezing only occurs in multiplayer.

PB is up to date
PnkBstrA and B have been granted access through ZoneAlarm, as well as BF2 and FH2.exe ofcourse.
Tried reinstalling FH2 multiple times
Tried with different graphic settings
No AA

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: FH 2.2 freezes after loading a map
« Reply #1 on: 13-09-2009, 13:09:32 »
Are you still in the loading screen or in the game screen?
Try restarting your router, sounds weird, but sometimes prevents these kind of problems.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Medi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13-09-2009, 15:09:55 »
Are you still in the loading screen or in the game screen?
Try restarting your router, sounds weird, but sometimes prevents these kind of problems.
Well if I press the join game button quickly right after it appears I just get to see the spawn menu before it freezes. If I don't, it'll freeze while still in the loading screen. Router restart doesn't help either.  :-\

Also tried to completely reinstall BF2, even deleted all the folders. Tried older drivers for my gfx card too, but didn't help.

Offline Uria

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13-09-2009, 23:09:51 »
I`m having the same problem.

I load the map, press the join button, and my FH Spawn select screen freezes, my mouse wont move, my keyboard won`t work on FH, but I can see the chat on the server going through..

When I press the CTRL + ALT + Del I can get out of the game, my mouse returns to move on the screen..

I tested it on a Internet server and on a local server, the error persists..

Tryed reinstalling FH, the 1.5 Patch.. nothing works..

It worked fine for 2 days, after that it went like that..

Offline Apo-TTCC

• FH2 Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14-09-2009, 01:09:49 »

I load the map, press the join button, and my FH Spawn select screen freezes, my mouse wont move, my keyboard won`t work on FH, but I can see the chat on the server going through..
The spawn screen freeze is a totaly random appearing BF2 bug and showed up way before the release of FH2. To solve it you need to reset the controls to default, after that you can rearange the controls to what you like. Unfortunately this does not prevent the bug to show up over and over again randomly.

Not sure if it helps if you write protect the controls.con file after setting the controls to your like.
C:...\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\000x\controls.con

« Last Edit: 14-09-2009, 01:09:48 by Apo-TTCC »
ß

Offline Medi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14-09-2009, 15:09:05 »

The spawn screen freeze is a totaly random appearing BF2 bug and showed up way before the release of FH2. To solve it you need to reset the controls to default, after that you can rearange the controls to what you like. Unfortunately this does not prevent the bug to show up over and over again randomly.

Not sure if it helps if you write protect the controls.con file after setting the controls to your like.

Just to keep the topic alive and possible solutions coming, I'll have to clarify that disappearing control settings are NOT the problem I'm having. My game totally freezes(not just controls), sound starts looping and I can't alt+tab or ctrl+alt+del my way back to the desktop.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14-09-2009, 15:09:30 »

Just to keep the topic alive and possible solutions coming, I'll have to clarify that disappearing control settings are NOT the problem I'm having. My game totally freezes(not just controls), sound starts looping and I can't alt+tab or ctrl+alt+del my way back to the desktop.

Post your system specs.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Medi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14-09-2009, 16:09:33 »
Post your system specs.

Athlon64 3700+
2GB ram
GeForce 7800GTX 256mb
SB X-Fi
XP sp2 (Just reinstalled on Saturday)
« Last Edit: 14-09-2009, 17:09:22 by Medi »

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14-09-2009, 17:09:05 »
Post your system specs.

Athlon64 3700+
2GB ram
GeForce 7800GTX 256mb
SB X-Fi
XP sp2 (Just reinstalled on Saturday)

This system should be able to handle FH2 without any probs. Try running the game windowed, maybe there is a error popping up in the background that you can't see.
Trying running a mulltiplayer server yourself. Go to multiplayer menu and choose start internet server.
I kinda get the feeling it's network related, seeing as your single player works fine.

Offline Mr_Cheese

• Developer
  • FH2 dev
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #9 on: 14-09-2009, 19:09:17 »
I get this problem too but not all the time. It usually seems to happen the first time I try joining a server - it switches from the loading screen to the ingame/spawn screen and the game completely freezes (I can still hear TS etc fine in the background) and the only way to get out of it is a hard reset or trying to do Ctrl-Alt-Del blind - once the system has restarted I can usually join a server just fine and it'll continue ok through all the map changes. Sometimes on restart I'll get a Windows error reporting message with a link saying something like "video card stuck in loop".

My specs are:
Intel Core2 Quad Q9650 3GHz
2.75GB RAM
GeForce GTX 295 1GB
SB X-Fi
XP Pro SP3

Offline Pippo Franchino

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14-09-2009, 22:09:31 »
I have the same problem ,my FH freeze after loading the first map...I hate it    >:(
ANyone have a solution?

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15-09-2009, 22:09:31 »
I get this problem too but not all the time. It usually seems to happen the first time I try joining a server - it switches from the loading screen to the ingame/spawn screen and the game completely freezes (I can still hear TS etc fine in the background) and the only way to get out of it is a hard reset or trying to do Ctrl-Alt-Del blind - once the system has restarted I can usually join a server just fine and it'll continue ok through all the map changes. Sometimes on restart I'll get a Windows error reporting message with a link saying something like "video card stuck in loop".

I had that happen once or twice, but it happened in the middle of playing a map and never gave me an error message.  I just rolled with it and it seems to have sorted itself out (hasn't happened in a while, knock on wood).

Question:  Has anyone who's gotten these errors downloaded the DICE Alt+Tab fix?  I remember DICE saying the reason Alt+Tab didn't work in the first place was because of a memory leak somewhere, maybe that leak has other drawbacks?  I don't think I've gotten these errors since I got the Alt+Tab fix from DICE (knock on wood again).
« Last Edit: 15-09-2009, 22:09:05 by Ionizer »

Offline Mr_Cheese

• Developer
  • FH2 dev
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #12 on: 17-09-2009, 19:09:31 »
I do have the DICE Alt-Tab fix.

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17-09-2009, 19:09:36 »
I don't know then.  It was just an idea.  But if you have it, then you closed up the memory leak, so that's probably not it...

Offline Mr_Cheese

• Developer
  • FH2 dev
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #14 on: 04-10-2009, 22:10:25 »
Bump!

Anyone found a fix for this? I thought I had earlier (resetting nVidia control panel's AA/AF/v-sync settings to default and switching ingame AA off (which weirdly doesn't actually switch it off)) but after switching the PC off for a few hours I tried joining a server and it happens again. I can create local games absolutely fine.