Author Topic: why is FH2 moving so slow?  (Read 10289 times)

Offline navyguard18

• View Profile
why is FH2 moving so slow?
« on: 04-04-2009, 01:04:07 »
i was just wondering why fh2 has been coming out so slowly.  the first forgotten hope came out with light speed. plus there was a @#% load of maps and guns.  but this....... :-X   there is hardly any maps and they are all in deserts   *which bore me to death  :o* and just a small variety of guns and vehicles.  it just sucks that i cant go back and play bf1942 cause i got a new computer with vista.  :-[  .......  so  not really complaning, but why does it take so long?

Offline Meadow

• You still might very well think that
    • View Profile
Re: why is FH2 moving so slow?
« Reply #1 on: 04-04-2009, 02:04:52 »
On the off chance you'd like a respectful answer that this community has failed to provide you so far, the answer is largely a combination of the difficulties in modding BF2 (higher model quality, harder to mod in general, no WWII stuff that can be used as placeholders etc) and the smaller size of the FH2 team compared to the FH1 team in its heyday. But rest assured that the devs, however depleted they may be in numbers, are working at the fastest speed they can muster to produce something special with Normandy.

Hope this answers your queries.
Sustainable business practices are not endorsed by FileFront

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04-04-2009, 02:04:29 »
Man.. you dont have to wait for FH2.. they are making it FOR FREE

Also.. FH2 is working.. but not showing anything..

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04-04-2009, 02:04:23 »
Navyguard.

There is something you need to understand before you go posting on a game mod forums.

You need to take into strong consideration what your saying, and how you say it.

1. The Battlefield 2 engine (Refractor 2) is a time consuming engine to work with.

2. FH2 team works very, very hard to produce high quality work. This plays a huge factor into how long it takes for a mod (or mod version) to be released to the public.

Here is an example for you. Lets say you are driving along in your car, and you see two roads in front of you. The left road, takes you to a huge mansion full of gold and silver, with naked girls showering in chocolate. However! The other road takes you to a smaller, cheap shack with a nice front lawn.

Both routes sound appealing to different people. Both routes may work for you, the car driver. But, which one will look better, be more enjoyable, and draw a larger crowd?

I rest my case....

Oh, wait, I almost forgot number 3.

3. Please don't take offense to the reactions of some of the other forum members, on this forum. But you see, we've all been waiting just like you. So sometimes its not well received when someone comes on here and sorta, well, disrespects FH2.

Just be patient  :).

Offline Cadyshack

• Nanananananananana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04-04-2009, 03:04:22 »
Think of it like your life savings.

FH2 never just poofs-into-existence as done. Hard and determined work and time is needed to make it. Especially for the great quality.

Not saving money or doing any work means no savings. Also, banks have interest rates that don't give you a few ten thousand dollars each year. It's more like a few hundred dollars if math books have something right.

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04-04-2009, 03:04:06 »
Among the reasons is the perfectionism in FH2 I must admit. We don't longer reskin vanilla player models to look like other nationalities or soldiers. We (killi) do all weapon animations for every single weapon. We make 2 or 3 different textures/versions for each tank. And not to mention the enviroment. Nearly all maps in FH1 had statics and props from BF1942, we can't do the same for BF2.

But right now people get the impression that FH2 is going slow due to a lack of news updates. And thats simply not true. Ever since 2.15 was released Normandy has been going near lightspeed. I think I can speak for the devs and betatesters that we're starting to get the finished feeling. But there's definately a few months left before release, and there could always be holdups. We also got some surprises up our sleeves for 2.2 ;)

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04-04-2009, 05:04:34 »
Posts like this anger me.

I really think that people don't have the FAINTEST idea of how much work goes into massive projects like this. The way I see it, it's a MIRACLE that games like FH2 are even made or are even possible.

You've got talented people from half way across the globe some how managing to act as a team and dedicating hundreds of working hours to put together a coherent project that's extremely polished... all which others can enjoy for FREE. Oh, let's not even mention the fact that this stuff is pretty much higher quality than most of the "professional" stuff being sold on game shelves.

Think about that next time you waltz in here demanding answers.

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

azreal

« Reply #7 on: 04-04-2009, 05:04:17 »
And lemme just jump in here and say...there are no news updates because the devs have nothing to show off. The news updates came faster than new content was being finished, at which point you test what you have and wait for new stuff to become available to show off.

Offline bakehouse

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04-04-2009, 05:04:01 »
i have to agree with hockey warrior.......... dont just come on here and start complaining its a lot of hard work i had a go at modeling stuff and it takes a hell lot of skill if you think its easy have a go your self and try to make the quality that this team makes it...............

p.s if your gunna complain about the pace then F!@# off please
:) WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............its hell>>>>>>>>deal with it :)

Offline Fenring

• Developer
  • Retired FH2 developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04-04-2009, 10:04:38 »
ok guys put down your pitchforks and torches.

But basicly this is some of the reasons why fh2 moves slower than fh1:
* No reusable content like bf42, for normandy everything except some simple undergrowth geometry and rocks are our own content. We could basicly release a stand alone game if we got a refractor 2 license from dice.

*Much higher quality in visuals in maps, models and textures. New complicated stuff like normals, speculars animations, custom shaders etc.

*The engine and editor is totally built around the workflow for creating a game similar to bf2, its definately harder for a ww2 game and we had to come up with various hacks to get stuff that where basic in bf1942. Some stuff doesnt work at all.

*The team is smaller.

Still the progress and team size is much bigger than in 2006, in that year it was very close that fh2 was discontinued. The mod was in 2007 basicly finished by 3 devs, toddel, lobo and ctz. Now fh have like 6-9 somewhat active devs and that a huge improvement.

To make things go faster we need more people making enviroment models / statics (houses, furniture, vegitation etc) since thats is very time consuming in bf2, you dont need to be a pro, motivation beats portfolio every time. So if you have that skill or any other modding skill dont hesitate to give fh a call.

Offline Lister471

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04-04-2009, 11:04:13 »
Lets say you are driving along in your car, and you see two roads in front of you. The left road, takes you to a huge mansion full of gold and silver, with naked girls showering in chocolate. However! The other road takes you to a smaller, cheap shack with a nice front lawn.

I would take the cheap shack, not really a lover of chocolate, plus are lass would kill me lol.

As for FH2, its great work and thank you to the devs.

Offline rattovolante

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04-04-2009, 12:04:18 »
*The team is smaller.

Still the progress and team size is much bigger than in 2006, in that year it was very close that fh2 was discontinued. The mod was in 2007 basicly finished by 3 devs, toddel, lobo and ctz. Now fh have like 6-9 somewhat active devs and that a huge improvement.

To make things go faster we need more people making enviroment models / statics (houses, furniture, vegitation etc) since thats is very time consuming in bf2, you dont need to be a pro, motivation beats portfolio every time. So if you have that skill or any other modding skill dont hesitate to give fh a call.

2 notes about this:
- the site still shows a rather huge active team (4 coders, 12 modelers, 4 modelers/coders, etc. etc.). So there is no reasonable way people can know the FH2 team is understrength (or even that it was understrength in 2006, IIRC the staff page always showed very large lists). Anyone checking the site before posting such a question could at most realize there is a bottleneck with animations, everything else looks huge, or at least way bigger than it actually is.

- only regulars of the forums have any way to know that the FH team is needing modelers. The site reports:
Q: How do I join FH?
A: Can you mod? Although we may generally not have any official openings, we are always willing to consider and review people's work - be it their maps, models, skins or animations. We obviously do not guarantee success, but new material is always welcome, particular "unpopular" areas such as coding or animations. So don't be afraid to show your work. Contact information are to be found in the staff section.
But just to ensure: We need no one making screenshots or wallpapers for us...
Which is almost the opposite of what you've written above (show us your portfolio, and if you're good we'll call you back)... So how can non-forum regulars know? Either update the site, or at the very least place a sticky, big FAQ somewhere in the forums (this post for example will sink to the bottom of the forums and be effectively lost in a few days)
« Last Edit: 04-04-2009, 12:04:38 by rattovolante »
game.utilities.printScriptTillItFuckingWorks() fan

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04-04-2009, 13:04:06 »
Yeah Ratte and what do you suggest?

Offline 508th PIR Hawkeye

• Pacific? :D
    • View Profile
    • www.508thpir.com
« Reply #13 on: 04-04-2009, 13:04:10 »
They ain't moving slow, they just don't show the progress that much
"The American Paratrooper exists to give the  enemy soldier the best chance to die for his country." -- Gen. George Patton

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04-04-2009, 13:04:30 »
- the site still shows a rather huge active team (4 coders, 12 modelers, 4 modelers/coders, etc. etc.). So there is no reasonable way people can know the FH2 team is understrength (or even that it was understrength in 2006, IIRC the staff page always showed very large lists). Anyone checking the site before posting such a question could at most realize there is a bottleneck with animations, everything else looks huge, or at least way bigger than it actually is.

hat is because it lists all devs that help out with the mod, some  being more active then others and yet others might temporarily be unable to contribute at all.  It would be a lot of work and waste of time to sort them out by activity. Hell it would be impossible and unfair to rank one dev higher then an other simply because he got more sparetime to contribute, worked a bit faster etc. etc.