Author Topic: [Vehicle] Fiat CV-35 - input, etc  (Read 7626 times)

Offline NotOnymous

• View Profile
[Vehicle] Fiat CV-35 - input, etc
« on: 21-01-2014, 09:01:00 »
Okay, so I've been working on the Fiat CV-35 for about a week, and I think I'm [nearly] done with the 3d model part (well, except for the tracks...).

The details for the rest of the process (e.g. skinning) are a bit vague, so if someone could point me in the right direction for those things, that would be great.

Anyhow, a few images/renders that I put together a few moments ago (I'm a bit tired, so the last render is just off-looking :P). Let me know what you all think.

----

My apologies if I've team-killed you.

Offline NotOnymous

• View Profile
Re: [Vehicle] Fiat CV-35 - input, etc
« Reply #1 on: 21-01-2014, 09:01:51 »
Oh, and I'll have poly-count details up tomorrow (I just don't have 3ds max running to find out).

Also, I've tried to keep the poly-count low, so there are number of details (e.g. latches) that are left out and will simply be drawn onto the skin.

Edit: I've realize that the flame-throwing version of the CV-35 is a fairly trivial modification to the basic CV-35. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: 21-01-2014, 09:01:22 by NotOnymous »

----

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21-01-2014, 10:01:02 »
I have no idea about moddeling but it looks good for me! I always wanted to see this vehicle in FH2. It can be used on Bardia and probably some other maps too!

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21-01-2014, 11:01:12 »
Looks nice. But the wheels and tracks and most round parts looks way too high poly, however it's a little hard to see on those small wireframe pictures. They could perhaps be used for high poly baking at this point, but i suspect you have to lower the poly detail a lot around those parts to have a functional vehicle in bf2/fh2.

Edit: You say that you're not finished with the tracks etc, so maybe you know all this already. But to be able to weigh the tracks to work in game, you must have simple tracks, sectioned something like what i try to illustrate in this fantastic mspaint picture:

Since the tracks are weighted in 3ds to follow the suspension and wheel, atleast on the bottom part of the tracks, it has to be done like this. Hope you see what i mean.
« Last Edit: 21-01-2014, 17:01:42 by Stubbfan »

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21-01-2014, 13:01:29 »
Whoooaa, that looks very awesome! I dunno much about modelling, but I definately give you a thumbs up!

Offline Krätzer

• Developer
  • Bitter Lemon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21-01-2014, 14:01:34 »
On the wireframe pictures i see that it is trislated, normaly you don´t do so if you´re modeling. So why did you so?

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21-01-2014, 16:01:03 »
This looks very cool 8) nice work. Idk much about tracks & how they're coded in BF2 but like stubbfan pointed out those are a bit high poly. Maybe they could be used to bake down a texture for low poly tracks tho so they might not be a total waste.

Interested to see where this goes, I've always wanted this thing on Bardia :) good job

EDIT: if you're looking for UV, texturing/ workflow tuts I'd recommend these: http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/autodesk-3d-studio-max/next-gen-weapon-creation-day-1-the-high-poly-model/ the videos on this site might not work but search nex gen weapon creation and you should find it on another site.

He models a knife but the workflow is usually the same.
« Last Edit: 22-01-2014, 03:01:31 by Matthew_Baker »

Offline NotOnymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22-01-2014, 07:01:05 »
I have no idea about moddeling but it looks good for me! I always wanted to see this vehicle in FH2. It can be used on Bardia and probably some other maps too!

Thanks :). I went through the suggestions section, and it seems that this was one of the more commonly requested vehicles. In general, Italian vehicles seem to be needed, so I've been collecting reference images for them (planes, too).

Looks nice. But the wheels and tracks and most round parts looks way too high poly, however it's a little hard to see on those small wireframe pictures. They could perhaps be used for high poly baking at this point, but i suspect you have to lower the poly detail a lot around those parts to have a functional vehicle in bf2/fh2.

Edit: You say that you're not finished with the tracks etc, so maybe you know all this already. But to be able to weigh the tracks to work in game, you must have simple tracks, sectioned something like what i try to illustrate in this fantastic mspaint picture:

Since the tracks are weighted in 3ds to follow the suspension and wheel, atleast on the bottom part of the tracks, it has to be done like this. Hope you see what i mean.

Yes, the wheels and tracks are quite high-poly - though, they were basically thrown in to get it finished for feedback. I've taken a look at other tracks in FH2 images and in-game (:) ), and I've taken note of the level of detail, poly-count, etc.

I think I know what you're trying to convey with the track diagram - since there are 24 points of articulation, there will be 23 track sections, yes?

Also, how do I do the physics parts, e.g. suspension?

I'll be sure to reduce the poly count of the curved surfaces, too.

Whoooaa, that looks very awesome! I dunno much about modelling, but I definately give you a thumbs up!

Thank you :).

On the wireframe pictures i see that it is trislated, normaly you don´t do so if you´re modeling. So why did you so?

I must confess that I don't know what "trislated" means ???.

This looks very cool 8) nice work. Idk much about tracks & how they're coded in BF2 but like stubbfan pointed out those are a bit high poly. Maybe they could be used to bake down a texture for low poly tracks tho so they might not be a total waste.

Interested to see where this goes, I've always wanted this thing on Bardia :) good job

Thank you :). Yes, the tracks were just meant to be temporary. At this point, I'm not really familiar with the preparation of textures for models like this, so we'll have to see how useful the existing tracks are :).

----

Some other things:

1) Does anyone know what kind of skin I should do? (As in, camoflage pattern.) There was apparently a simple two-tone mottled pattern (sand-coloured base, and dark green patches) used at Bardia, but I'm not too sure. Hopefully the Italian army fans can provide input :).

2) How exactly do I get this model (after corrections have been made) into FH2? Is there a tutorial anywhere? I haven't been able to find one.

3) How am I to take care of engine sounds, machine gun sounds, etc? The engine isn't used in any other FH2 vehicle, and neither is the machine gun typically found in it.

4) The armor angles are all correct according to the original manufacturing specifications.

----

Offline NotOnymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22-01-2014, 07:01:03 »
EDIT: if you're looking for UV, texturing/ workflow tuts I'd recommend these: http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/autodesk-3d-studio-max/next-gen-weapon-creation-day-1-the-high-poly-model/ the videos on this site might not work but search nex gen weapon creation and you should find it on another site.

He models a knife but the workflow is usually the same.

I watched one of the videos for a few minutes and it looks like a great tutorial. Thanks for linking that.

--

I'll be spending some time on the model over the next week or so, and I'll post an update once I've made some more progress.
« Last Edit: 22-01-2014, 07:01:11 by NotOnymous »

----

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22-01-2014, 09:01:18 »
I think I know what you're trying to convey with the track diagram - since there are 24 points of articulation, there will be 23 track sections, yes?

Yes something like that. The number 23 is of course not imortant. The important thing is that each group of verts (green dots) sit where the suspension is going up and down while driving, and that it's only one full section until the next suspension point. If you see what i mean.

Same goes for the suspension parts. Everything that has to move ingame must be in a single section to the attachment point. In my pic above i tried to explain this by drawing the green dots, that's the only thing that is going to move while driving right, and by weighing you connect that green dot from the suspension together with the group of green dots on the tracks right under it. So that this part of the tracks follows that particular suspension movement.

Man ok, this probably all sounds a little confusing. I'll try to get some good pics of a fh2 tank export to show you what i mean when i get home.

As for the export. I can help you with that when you come that far. One thing we do is, for those 4 wheels on the bottom, which all look the same. We export that one by itself and add it 4 times by code instead. Other than that, make sure that the movable stuff (barrels, turrets etc) can easily be detached and moved in all positions it's supposed to move ingame.
« Last Edit: 22-01-2014, 09:01:20 by Stubbfan »

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22-01-2014, 11:01:39 »
As you can tell im no modeler and just take care of some exporting. But i found some (old but useful) tutorial on how to make the tracks:

http://berlin.schoeldgen.de/bf1942/tutorials/Trax_tut.htm

http://www.bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1101

(it's so old that it warns 56k modem users for image heavy page lol)

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23-01-2014, 00:01:20 »

I believe he means triangulated. As in all of your polygons (that you would normally model with) are turned into triangles. I was wondering that myself actually.

While I'm on it, what is the tri count?

Offline CptdeS35

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24-01-2014, 00:01:49 »
Good job, keep up the good work ! Will be glad to see this model, so i wish you good luck and don't give up !
FH2 Dev (wait seriously ?)

Offline NotOnymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25-01-2014, 21:01:16 »
About skins

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/italy/carro_veloce_cv33_cv35_cv38.php

Thanks for the link.

As you can tell im no modeler and just take care of some exporting. But i found some (old but useful) tutorial on how to make the tracks:

http://berlin.schoeldgen.de/bf1942/tutorials/Trax_tut.htm

http://www.bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1101

(it's so old that it warns 56k modem users for image heavy page lol)

Thanks for the links.

As for exporting, that all seems to make sense. Also, the tank has 6 wheels on each side that are identical (plus three other kinds).

Regarding skinning, I've read that I can use the Photoshop 3D tools - I was testing it earlier today, and it seems to work well for the test object. Have others done the same? Is it workable for a FH2 vehicle?

I believe he means triangulated. As in all of your polygons (that you would normally model with) are turned into triangles. I was wondering that myself actually.

While I'm on it, what is the tri count?

3ds Max seems to default to that, so that's what I end up using.

The poly-count without the track assembly is 5300. I don't really know what the poly-count limit is. Some games have a 100,000 poly-count limit for vehicles, but that's likely too high for the BF2 engine. The un-optimized model has around 25,000 polys.

Good job, keep up the good work ! Will be glad to see this model, so i wish you good luck and don't give up !

Thank you :).

----