Author Topic: A General Thank You, and questions about the future  (Read 3586 times)

Offline Sgt.Collins

• View Profile
Hello everyone,

This topic is dedicated to the devs mostly.

I wanted to thank you, when I firstly played that mod, I wasn't paying attention to details brought by the accuracy of the sceneries, weapons and troops concerned on the batttlefield back in WW2.

The amazing Port-En-Bessin map, as well as Omaha or the WIP Pegasus Bridge one left me "wordless", this precision is outstanding.

Nevertheless as you said in the last stream, you have trouble bringing fresh troops (new players) to FH2 because of the fact that BF2 became an abandonware recently.

What are your thoughts about it?

I have one but it will surely get your hairs dressed.... To become a standalone with your own Engine for example even if it would be a long trip!

I always had that dream where FH2 devs, Darkest Hour '44 devs, Festung Europa and Tractions Wars devs were cooperating to produce a game that would leave EA games and Ubisoft speechless, something that doesn't focuses on DLC and over marketing bullshit, but pure love dedicated to History.

You, Devs, are really what makes me want to model or level design, but I'm a bg big noob.

I would give you those 70€ that I -shame on me- paid for BF3 (i didn't buy the last one).
YOU WORTH IT! You deserve it!

Anyway that was one point.
Don't know if general discussion is the best place for this topic... Anyway...

I've got an other question which is more likely a suggestion..., will you update the sounds of FH2, something more ... percuting, more agressive, more "realistic"?

Last point, can you tell where/when do you imagine FH2 ending story? In other words, what is the final aim, the final addon, the final theater, the final map?
I mean, Darkest Hour'44 was the reason I bought RO, I had a ton of fun hours on it, but now, it's roughly crowded even if RO 1 still in STEAM.

How will WE (the 100 to 200 people of the community) will continue this love story to have fun learning and giving life to History?

Thanks for reading, and I Hope to get answers from the Devs I admire.

Take care of you, and come play your masterpiece FH2 more often! ;)

Offline Hauggy

• View Profile
Re: A General Thank You, and questions about the future
« Reply #1 on: 26-06-2015, 04:06:55 »
Hopefully it will soon turn into a (ofc) free standalone.
I think you're making a good point about the sounds they are a bit weak imo.
I actually use an old sound mod made by Watchtower1001 because I don't like the default sounds.
If someone reads this and has Hydr4's soundmod please PM me I wanna try it (can't find a download link).

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26-06-2015, 08:06:17 »
Last point, can you tell where/when do you imagine FH2 ending story? In other words, what is the final aim, the final addon, the final theater, the final map?
I think this is a question not even devs know answer to. One time when I asked about it in the past, the answer was that they're going to work on FH2 untill they will lost interest in it, and I don't think it's going to happen soon  ;)

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26-06-2015, 13:06:46 »
Hello everyone,

You, Devs, are really what makes me want to model or level design, but I'm a bg big noob.

First: thanks for the kind words! it's allways a moral boost when people enjoy stuff that one created. The love for detail is one of the reasons why I started playing the mod back in 2009 and I still admire mappers like Knoffhoff for their skill and talent as if it was the first day, when I joined this community.

Second: why not just start level design or modeling? Everybody from the dev team was a noob at the beginning. You can't gain experience if you don't start somewhere. I created my first map as a beta tester and now it's in the pipeline for EF patch. Somehow this was something that I always wanted to try and do, and a dream came true. I didn't really apply but I just worded and worked and it payed of. It's a fantastic experience to become part of such a creative process that I can only recommend to any other person to try it on their own. There are ups and downs sometimes, but it's great to work with so many talented people, who have more skill than me most of the time.  ;D

In short -  you will learn alot. Not only the mapping or modelling, but stuff that can be usefull throughout your life. For example I use Photoshop quite often for my university stuff now. Something that I would have never done without this mod.  ;)

Offline Oberst_Kroenen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26-06-2015, 13:06:34 »
Hey guys i just wanted to say that Im just as thankful as Sgt.Collins to the devs. FH2 is the best WWII experience you can find. Ive been playing it ever since it had only North Africa maps but i play SP mostly. Anyway for for some time Ive wanted to learn to model vehicles and i was wondering are there any beginner tutorials for that?
« Last Edit: 26-06-2015, 14:06:48 by Oberst_Kroenen »

Offline Sgt.Collins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26-06-2015, 13:06:45 »
Hey hitm4k3r

Thanks for the advice, actually I tried to reproduce the best map of Darkest Hour '44 for me that was Maupertus and a real Foy attack map.

I managed to place hard stuff, trees, roads, fences and that's all.

Textures, Heightmaps and Lighnting were so damn complex to me that I gave up ( because I joined real army of my country too...)

But I feel like giving another shot, but not as level designer but as a player modelling cause I often think german soldier of Wermarcht look skinny, I prefer Winter ones... And I like what HanleyUS and MattBaker did with playermodel and vehicles textures, and I would like to help this process too.

Anyway, thank you for your reply, long live to FH2!

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26-06-2015, 16:06:04 »
First of all, thank you both (Sgt. Collins & Oberst_Kroenen) for the kind comments, this really gives us a boost of energy once we see stuff like this. Thanks again ;)

Anyway for for some time Ive wanted to learn to model vehicles and i was wondering are there any beginner tutorials for that?

Hello!

I always say start small, every modeler on the team started like that; I was fortunate I had 3ds Max 9 (the BF2 compatible one) first off, most of these guys practiced on programs such as Blender, Google Sketchup etc.

Going back to "starting small", I mean, focus on the things such as static meshes; they are small, fairly easy to make (though, easy for me to say ;)), yet complex in their own way.

Going back to your question directly, there really isn't any "beginner" tutorials for that; just start out small and you will get better and better (you really will!).

But hey, I think I found something that might suit you just well (except for the last two, those you will have to slow down in speed settings):

http://ron.heavengames.com/library/articles/modelingtutorial/tutorial1.shtml
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chVLj8YLUkU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA9NUtrCx34

Unfortunately, this guy is AFK, but this thread has some really cool stuff in it:

http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=19451.0

Patience is everything, don't expect to make something out in a day or week. :)

------------------

As for you Sgt. Collins, character modeling is probably the most complex and time consuming task out there. Be ready! :) I think the team (or in the past) used Zbrush or Mudbox.

Regards

Offline Oberst_Kroenen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26-06-2015, 17:06:52 »
Ok thanks for the reply Roughbeak. I understand its not an easy task and it takes time to become good at it but i really want to learn and be useful. Anyway il need to get 3ds Max 9 first. And ill start going through basic tuts first then. Just have to pass a few exams for the next couple of weeks and then ill have the time needed.

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26-06-2015, 19:06:35 »
If you want to have Editor and modelinstuff you will need everything on Moding site of this forum and 3d max 9 ,Photoshop,zbrush
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26-06-2015, 22:06:54 »
I really like posts like this, partly because I'm pretty obsessed with this mod too, both for it's amazing design both in game play, whichI still maintain is second to none, and level of detail. I still live nostalgically in the past when spontaneous discussions about wolves with lasers on their backs could fill 14 pages before Lobo would crack his whip or Lightening would quietly ask us to cut the shit.

But we're old men now, and each of us is trying to figure out what still keeps us on, despite real life challenges.

I've all but stopped playing video games. I only hoard new titles and keep specing up my PC (fault of habit).
I can barely follow video game storylines nor do ai have patience to learn combos or figure out puzzles, yet, I keep seeking a youthful excitement from a few rounds of dodging artillery bombs, stalking tanks and holding flags by the skin of my teeth with who's left of the community I've spent the last 8 or 9yrs with.

There's something incredible about this mod, and it's hard to articulate without experiencing it for yourself.

now that I am busy with my own start up, I wistfully keep holding on to the hope that I can commit a bit more than 70€ to keep The Forgotten Hope franchise alive.

But until or if that day comes,

Thank you, Forgotten Hope developers, forgotten Hope Beta testers and community. Jum Jum. I smile each time I recall those threads. You made me realize people can have civil, even sophisticated conversation on forums with absolute strangers.

Lobo, Kev4000 if you're somehow still lurking, Rad, if you're some how out there somewhere and have wifi.

THANK YOU for this amazing masterpiece. It has inspired me in ways that go well beyond video games.

I owe finding my calling in life to your ability to juggle fun and realism, your devotion despite being a world apart from one another,and your painstaking thoroughess and attention to detail. Your Mod taught me Design.

Thank you...
« Last Edit: 26-06-2015, 22:06:26 by djinn »

Offline Sgt.Collins

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28-06-2015, 13:06:35 »
So to sum up,

FH2 is not close to be dead? It will still continue for a decade! :D ;)

Lookin forward that standalone thing in the topic concerned, but still... I have a general question that I would llike to have thoughts about it.

Is FH2 going to be only a mod?
Is FH2 still using engine of an other game?
Will it be possible one day that it'll be developped on its own engine to allow features that devs think interesting to add (like TS4Ever artillery/ATgun tow idea)?
In others words, will FH2 be the project of A life for the current dev team?

Starting from scratch could be demoralizing I understand, but on the other hand, it's exciting for a dev team and his community to begin a project with shared ideas, isn't it?

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28-06-2015, 19:06:09 »
Basing  on how "quick" things going with developing of "Traction Wars" game, I suppose that you need big manpower, money, equipment, etc. to develop new game on another engine... I don't think that FH2 devs can't currently afford to this and releasing standalone is  the only solution for increasing this mod popularity at this point...

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10-07-2015, 05:07:32 »
I've been with the community since 2005. So, it is almost 10 years now, with 2 months to go.

ForgottenHope has a couple of regenerations during the period. Many of the previous developers are very old people, some has found another interest, some have passed away, some have left for more dedicated lucrative jobs. I wish them all a good life.

I am really glad that many new generations picked up the baton to continue the legacy.

What sort of legacy?

Well, FH was my favourite mainly because of its apparent high-quality finish. They made no compromise on final polishings, no matter we like the mechanics or not. The Panzer IV might be under-armoured for sometime, but the effects, the in-game model, and all that AAA-factor. Some maps may not be suitable for repetitive play, but even that kind of map has top-notch detail and accuracy. That's first class.

It is amazing to see the transition from Lobo to these new lads doesn't affect the quality at all.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12-07-2015, 10:07:41 »
It is amazing to see the transition from Lobo to these new lads doesn't affect the quality at all.

If anything, I'd say the quality has improved! The new lads are even more meticulous about details and historical accuracy! And that's probably why there will still be many dedicated fans of this mod for years to come.

Basing  on how "quick" things going with developing of "Traction Wars" game, I suppose that you need big manpower, money, equipment, etc. to develop new game on another engine... I don't think that FH2 devs can't currently afford to this and releasing standalone is  the only solution for increasing this mod popularity at this point...

Well I don't know I think the mapping part would be much faster on new engines, without the editor crashing every X minutes. But the transition would be very bumpy, and the coding and modelling would probably take more time... And lots of (older) models would have to be redone to look good on another engine...
« Last Edit: 12-07-2015, 10:07:50 by LuckyOne »
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Meadow

• You still might very well think that
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19-07-2015, 18:07:43 »
I really like posts like this, partly because I'm pretty obsessed with this mod too, both for it's amazing design both in game play, whichI still maintain is second to none, and level of detail. I still live nostalgically in the past when spontaneous discussions about wolves with lasers on their backs could fill 14 pages before Lobo would crack his whip or Lightening would quietly ask us to cut the shit.

But we're old men now, and each of us is trying to figure out what still keeps us on, despite real life challenges.

I've all but stopped playing video games. I only hoard new titles and keep specing up my PC (fault of habit).
I can barely follow video game storylines nor do ai have patience to learn combos or figure out puzzles, yet, I keep seeking a youthful excitement from a few rounds of dodging artillery bombs, stalking tanks and holding flags by the skin of my teeth with who's left of the community I've spent the last 8 or 9yrs with.

There's something incredible about this mod, and it's hard to articulate without experiencing it for yourself.

now that I am busy with my own start up, I wistfully keep holding on to the hope that I can commit a bit more than 70€ to keep The Forgotten Hope franchise alive.

But until or if that day comes,

Thank you, Forgotten Hope developers, forgotten Hope Beta testers and community. Jum Jum. I smile each time I recall those threads. You made me realize people can have civil, even sophisticated conversation on forums with absolute strangers.

Lobo, Kev4000 if you're somehow still lurking, Rad, if you're some how out there somewhere and have wifi.

THANK YOU for this amazing masterpiece. It has inspired me in ways that go well beyond video games.

I owe finding my calling in life to your ability to juggle fun and realism, your devotion despite being a world apart from one another,and your painstaking thoroughess and attention to detail. Your Mod taught me Design.

Thank you...

I just wanted to reply to this and say - me too.

I haven't played FH2 in a long time. Truth be told, I think it's not for me anymore. My life has moved on. I started playing as a teenager, nowadays I'm 24 with a job at a startup and lots of writing projects on the go. I still play games, but they're short match-based ones like Dota 2, the kind of fast-paced game that guarantees at least a bit of fun in the time you have. FH2 was great when I could play for hours on end in a squad with friends.

Anyway, I didn't come here to have a go at FH2 - it will always be the most impressive WWII game out there (I say game because mods are kind of dead now - presumably I'm not the only one who's noticed that) and its community was a great part of my life for many years. I too think of jumjum sometimes, and miss the great debates we'd have, and how we used to piss off the FileFront forum guys by winning their overall forum categories when none of them knew who we were.

Forums are wonderful things, and I wanted to say, djinn, that I remember you, and I remember the good times.

Maybe you'll shoot me with a Kar98k one day soon.

I hope everyone is well.
Sustainable business practices are not endorsed by FileFront