Author Topic: Idea regarding turret traverse ..  (Read 4369 times)

Offline Frnz.nl

• View Profile
Re: Idea regarding turret traverse ..
« Reply #15 on: 29-01-2010, 18:01:21 »
Is using a joystick to fly cheating?

Using a Joystick doesn't allow to overcome planes specific limits, it is more comfortable to pilot with it but flying caracteristics are preserved. (note: even if there are very few limits with planes now  :'( )

I don't agree that flying characteristics are preserved. Ever tried to fly with your mouse? When turning a plane in a dogfight I usually find my mouse ending up on the other side of the desk to maintain a tight turn. Even with high mouse sensitivity. And isn't this almost the same problem as with the turret turning rates?
Of course I could try to fly with my keyboard, but that isn't a real solution either. When pitching up/down in a plane I've got to press or release a button. Its 1 or 0, don't have 0,5 as an option as I would have with a joystick.

As it is now, everybody has the option to alter their own mouse sensitivity for land vehicles in game. Everybody can tweak their settings, this allows turrets to turn faster then intended (even with a non-gaming-mouse). Up to the point the mouse becomes a tad to sensitive to aim in a normal tank, like I said a couple of posts back.
Only tanks with very slow turret traversing speed will benefit marginally from adjusting the sensitivity on a gaming mouse, like it is now.

It might be a good idea to base the turret traversing speed in FH2 on the max mouse sensitivity for land vehicles and change the default in the controls.con to its max. But there's a drawback: setting the value while installing will affect BF2 and all mods installed. You've got max sensitivity with each mod you'll play.
Maybe there's a workaround and let the FH2.exe handle this. When starting FH2 search for the related line in controls.con, replace it with the value desired for FH2.exe. Then on closing FH2.exe restore the original value so BF2 and other mods won't suffer from the changed value.

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29-01-2010, 19:01:57 »
It might be a good idea to base the turret traversing speed in FH2 on the max mouse sensitivity for land vehicles and change the default in the controls.con to its max. But there's a drawback: setting the value while installing will affect BF2 and all mods installed. You've got max sensitivity with each mod you'll play.
Maybe there's a workaround and let the FH2.exe handle this. When starting FH2 search for the related line in controls.con, replace it with the value desired for FH2.exe. Then on closing FH2.exe restore the original value so BF2 and other mods won't suffer from the changed value.

Horrible, horrible idea.  That will penalize anyone who doesn't set their sensitivity higher, as well as fucking up things like fine adjustments (even on things like Static MGs and AT Guns, since I believe they are technically "vehicles") as well as not helping anything, because I'm sure anyone can just force their sensitivity higher than that anyway.  Not to mention it's way too much work just to fuck over maybe a dozen people who abuse the mouse sensitivity.  It's not worth it.

Seriously, if you hate it that much, pay $50 bucks for a good mouse and use it yourself.  Just don't get pissed off when when people who are using better tactics than you kick your ass anyway.  Or if you don't want to do that: the next time you get pissed off by someone you believe is using a higher sensitivity, quit the server, and find a another one.  Or make your own server and kick everyone who you think is playing unfairly (have fun playing alone).  Or play with bots in SP.

Seriously, now I know why the Devs ignore practically every "suggestion" posted here: only the most whiny, butt hurt people ever come here to suggest fixes to things that ARE NOT A PROBLEM!!  "Whaaa!  I can't ROFLPWN everyone in my tank, someone must be cheating!"  "Whaaa!  I can't hit anything with the rifle I picked up for the first time 3 seconds ago, the recoil must be broken!"  "Whaaa!  I can't pretend to be God while I rain death upon my enemies from the sky, the plane physics must be broken!"  "Whaaa!  I want to be an SL but I don't wanna hide like a pansy, we need rally points!!"

It gets annoying...

Offline Frnz.nl

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29-01-2010, 20:01:23 »

Horrible, horrible idea.  That will penalize anyone who doesn't set their sensitivity higher, as well as fucking up things like fine adjustments (even on things like Static MGs and AT Guns, since I believe they are technically "vehicles") as well as not helping anything, because I'm sure anyone can just force their sensitivity higher than that anyway.  Not to mention it's way too much work just to fuck over maybe a dozen people who abuse the mouse sensitivity.  It's not worth it.
Notice the 'and' in my previous post  ;)
It might be a good idea to base the turret traversing speed in FH2 on the max mouse sensitivity for land vehicles and change the default in the controls.con to its max.

If you base turret traverse for tanks based on the max out settings and make sure it's maxed out by default, you won't penalize anybody cause everybody has the same settings. Static MGs and AT Guns will be affected yes, those should be adjusted accordingly.

I don't know how much work this is for the devs. Lets say they found out how to max out the sensitivy settings in the control.con. Then every land vehicle needs their sensitivity setting changed too. If there's a simple formula to determine the new sensitivity for all land vehicles (tanks, MGs, AT guns, etc.) let's say devide by 5, it might be worth the hassle.
If each vehicle needs to determine its new vehicle by try and error, its definitely not worth it.

And maybe important to remember: I based this on the fact that the ingame mouse sensitivity settings have a much greater effect on turret traversing speed then the hardware sensitivity of a gaming mouse.

My advise to people complaining about the fast turret traversing; change your ingame settings or learn to live with it.

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
« Reply #18 on: 29-01-2010, 20:01:48 »
idea

Make no turrets traversable anymore

My God.

He's got it.

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29-01-2010, 20:01:34 »
You suggest to use cheat against cheat(or exploit against exploit, whatever)? Sounds stupid to me...

Offline Frnz.nl

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29-01-2010, 20:01:28 »
ServerSettings.con
Code: [Select]
GameServerSettings.setNoVehicles 1

8)

You suggest to use cheat against cheat(or exploit against exploit, whatever)? Sounds stupid to me...

If everybody uses the same exploit, would it still be an exploit?

Offline Strat_84

• FH-Betatester
  • Lemming Chieftain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29-01-2010, 20:01:48 »

If everybody uses the same exploit, it is an exploit everybody uses, nothing else. That doesn't fix anything.

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29-01-2010, 20:01:12 »
Tss, stop making this problem bigger then it is, lol.
The mouse sinsitivity "exploit" is just like the joystick "exploits" out there.
I have a mouse where i can adjust the sensitivitie, so what? it dousnt really give an advantage to the TEAM. Just like all the people that use a joystick out there, or the speed control function on it.
If you have a problem with it, go to a shop, spend 30 pounds, euro, dollars,... and voila, you have a fancy mouse yourself, happy?
I play this game on my 2 year old 15,4 inch laptop, on low settings,  do you hear me complaining that its not fare that people that have bigger screens and better pc's can see much more details then me and therefore have an advantage when using a rifle at distance? This is a computer game people, some have better computers then others, it gives certain advantages, dont like it? buy a console and GTFO

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29-01-2010, 20:01:49 »

If everybody uses the same exploit, it is an exploit everybody uses, nothing else. That doesn't fix anything.

No, then it would be a feature of the game.

Offline Frnz.nl

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 29-01-2010, 21:01:20 »
I have a mouse where i can adjust the sensitivitie, so what? it dousnt really give an advantage to the TEAM. Just like all the people that use a joystick out there, or the speed control function on it.
If you have a problem with it, go to a shop, spend 30 pounds, euro, dollars,... and voila, you have a fancy mouse yourself, happy?
I play this game on my 2 year old 15,4 inch laptop, on low settings,  do you hear me complaining that its not fare that people that have bigger screens and better pc's can see much more details then me and therefore have an advantage when using a rifle at distance? This is a computer game people, some have better computers then others, it gives certain advantages, dont like it? buy a console and GTFO

Siben, your totally right.

I never said that the whole mouse sensitivity is a problem. I just suggested a solution, off which I still think its a good solution for what some see as a problem.

Guys I'm off to my local pub, have a drink on me and please don't turn this in a bashing yes or no game  ;)

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29-01-2010, 21:01:55 »

Siben, your totally right.

I never said that the whole mouse sensitivity is a problem. I just suggested a solution, off which I still think its a good solution for what some see as a problem.

Guys I'm off to my local pub, have a drink on me and please don't turn this in a bashing yes or no game  ;)

And i dont mind you did, it is your good right, it was just that this tread was derailing once again for the same old reasen.

And i will do the same as you, off to the local bar with some friends now, laterz all :)

Offline bakehouse

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30-01-2010, 00:01:17 »
so..............summarising the thread a solution to a problem well know, but not a solution to a problem well know and hence the fighting. And now who ever reads this will know the past 2 pages of the thread.
:) WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............its hell>>>>>>>>deal with it :)

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30-01-2010, 04:01:41 »
Dude, it's not cheating.  Is having extra buttons on your mouse that you can assign more commands to (such as reload, bring up the map, and sprint) cheating?  Is using a joystick to fly cheating?  Is having a good enough computer that you don't have to turn down your view distance cheating?  Is having a fast enough internet connection that you don't have to compensate for latency cheating?
Best point of the whole thread.

Seriously, live with it or buy mice like that as well and use it yourself...
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline hankypanky

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30-01-2010, 04:01:28 »
I don't understand why you guys had to resort to insulting each other lol. You guys are talking about mouse sensitivity ffs.
My ingame name is [PUG]mr.hanky1945

Offline 9.Pz-Div. Günther

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30-01-2010, 04:01:23 »
I never seen anyone use this 'exploit'. Have any of you guys ever even tried speeding up sensitivity to check if this is not some urban legend?

Also, lol, I imagine you can't aim for sh*t with such a high sensitivity, it would only be useful for extremely close combat, let's say 10 metres. It comes with a downside. It's only use is that the turret spins faster so AT infantry can't get close to your tank.

Seriously, what frustrated nerd would script macro's to exploit turret traversion? I imagine he'd rather spend his time hacking his neighbour's computer or something. :P