Author Topic: EXPERIMENTAL AI SOLUTIONS FOR SP/COOP (Community effort)  (Read 61835 times)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: The Single Player Fan Project: Work to be done and feedback
« Reply #15 on: 15-07-2010, 13:07:38 »
That's the one. I knew it was thomas..something with an X, and I knew he was from Asia, but I didn't want to guess wrongly and sound like some idiot...

EDIT:
I noted something... It seems like those rare but random CTDs that may occur in Hyacinth; and this repeated in my edit of AJ51's Night Tobruk map, are as a result of something with the flare gun. I know its not the correct approach to determine a bug by what you were doing at the time, but it has happened over 5 times. The Tobruk map can go on for 15minutes without a hitch. I pull out my flare gun, or in the extremely rare event, a bot does, and it CTDs... I may even get off a shot or a number of shots... Sometimes, nothing even happens... But I think its worth checking this piece of equipment..

Also, might be good to get bots using it tactically. I can't think of a logic right now, but perhaps, using it like smoke or something
« Last Edit: 15-07-2010, 15:07:02 by djinn »

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16-07-2010, 09:07:08 »
Unless it's a problem with a static gun, you're probably right. I'll check it out later and see if I can make it crash.

It'd be hell cool if the bots used it more...FLARE ATTACK! ;D

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16-07-2010, 10:07:51 »
For this weekend:
Let's all test Hyacinth to the max and see if we can find why its CTD! Testing Testing Testing

Edit 1: Friday eve
Have spent the last 2 hours watching battlerecordings of Hyacinth. It definitely crashes but I have my doubt it's the Flare gun. I've fired it more than once at bots and statics.  :-[
« Last Edit: 16-07-2010, 19:07:06 by Raziel »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16-07-2010, 19:07:15 »
Then I don't get what it is... I used pretty much the same thing in AJ51's Seige of Tobruk night map as far as kit loadout is concerned, with only a few changes to make the defending Aussies LRDG... ie. No turbans. The main intersection between those two maps seems to be the only reason why it could be ctding...

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18-07-2010, 10:07:49 »
Tried it a few times, but it still seems random to me.

Tried firing the flare gun every chance I got...CTD when I wasn't using it and no active flares around.

Tried ignoring the flare gun...CTD while leaving Airfield after capping it.

The testing goes on...

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18-07-2010, 11:07:27 »
We might have another Goodwood on our hands.. But perhaps it might just solve other CTDs we haven't considered are related...

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18-07-2010, 11:07:01 »
..CTD while leaving Airfield after capping it.
Happened to me too.....capped the airfield flag, the Italians were approaching....and then CTD

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18-07-2010, 13:07:32 »
yup, that seems familiar.... How do we narrow it down?

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19-07-2010, 08:07:42 »
Reply from Clivewil on how to get Stukas to fly higher to make their dives more Stuka-like, make them less vulnerable and prevent the endless divehorn sound noted in Crete and sometimes Olympus (By making it require higher speed  to activate, which should be possible if they fly higher and dive steeper)

On Making planes fly higher,
unfortunately there's not a great deal you can do in that regard - if you render each map's AerialHeightMap at the lowest setting of 16 (if you haven't already) then this forces planes to fly a little higher than with settings of 32 or 64, but it affects ALL planes. if you're trying to get one type only to fly higher, then this can mean having to modify the plane itself to be more 'bouyant' (like i did to my Be-12 seaplane) which obviously is going to affect human pilots who probably won't like the way it handles if these changes are made to it (and it doesn't affect bot pilots enough to make it worthwhile - they just keep fighting the controls so they are at the same old altitude they flew in the old plane version)

you can change the max climb angle, which i have done in the past - and while i have seen my Me-109's doing the occasional Split-S i have never seen the Stuka do anything like that, even though like the Me-109 it is able to go up to +/- 89 degrees into the vertical. (any more than 89 degrees is disastrous, but funny to watch as the bots suddenly lose their concept of up/down)

On making planes fire their mgs more accurately,
try using what i use in the Weapons.ai for those particular weapons:

weaponTemplate.allowedDeviation 15.0
weaponTemplate.deviationCorrectionTime 0.5
weaponTemplate.deviation 1.0

...this means that even though the plane starts firing with an accuracy of 15 degrees, after 0.5 seconds it will narrow its stream of fire down to 1 degree, which is far more useful. you guys don't use rocket salvos (you only fire in pairs) so the only weapons you will get a benefit from this will be your guns, but it definitely helps those to be more effective

@Drawde,
Means we might need custom version of all planes... at least try these and see if it would be worth that

On the invitation to join our team,
thank you very much for the invite, but no.

if i am in a mod team i feel obliged to work as hard as possible, to 'pull my weight' so to speak. i pretty much burnt myself out making AIX, and i don't have enough energy left to do all that again. also, i really don't like the camera setups on the FH2 planes - but that's just my opinion - but i wouldn't want to spend much time flying around like that (my testing so far has all been done using my own personal desert Spitfire Vc imported into FH2, so i could buzz around and watch things unfold without all the camera hassles) - i'll still help out where i can though.

by the way - all my plane testing has been/will be done on Alam Halfa, and i have noticed a couple of weird vehicle behaviours on that map which suggest maybe it needs a bit of work on its navmesh, i.e. tanks trying to force their way through barriers, venturing into minefields etc. but my mind was focused on the air battle, so i didn't pay too much attention. but you might want to keep an eye on it and decide if it warrants more work on the navmesh.

cheers

c:\

EDIT:
I think we should focus more on Purple Heart Lane than Hyacinth since Hyacinth doesn't always CTD, but PHL almost always does... If we can get this done before Drawde's next patch, we would have achieved a bit more i think
« Last Edit: 19-07-2010, 11:07:51 by djinn »

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19-07-2010, 11:07:19 »
Good job Djinn!

@Clivewill - Thanks for your help

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 21-07-2010, 00:07:25 »
Next major focus, this time its mainly a BT work... Lets solve that CTD in Purple Heart Lane

@Aserafimov

So I have come to understand that Remick may have the remainder of the maps in hand for navmeshing, including those you did, Aser so to avoid double work, I propose we start work on unofficial maps... Like Ste Mere Eglise, Bloody Gulch, and others SPers may recoomend.

Even if Remick wont be allowed to put them in for SP-only maps, we can get someone who knows how to make an installer so we can have an SP fan-mappack :-)

What do you think of this idea...?

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21-07-2010, 10:07:44 »
I've just played on the Italian side on Hyacinth.

The first round I got the ticket count to 250-270-ish before it CTD, it was the longest I've gone without crashing. Interestingly, the Airfield was a ghost town the whole time - not one bot spawned there and the Brits never took it.

The second round didn't last as long, tickets were roughly 450-odd for both sides, and the Airfield was capped by the Brits...

Maybe there's a dodgy spawnpoint at the Airfield?... :-\

Next major focus, this time its mainly a BT work... Lets solve that CTD in Purple Heart Lane...
Yeah, why not...I can't remember the last time I played PHL-64... :)

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21-07-2010, 13:07:44 »
Agree! Will focus on PHL!

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28-07-2010, 00:07:37 »
Narrowed down PHL's bug? Anyone?

Drawde... Mind if I ask what's new for the mod i.e. if you are going to work on a 1.3 RC, what new features it may contain.

I'm also wondering how to make arty more interesting for bots, currently they use it almost as much as the mg42s... i.e. hardly... On Goodwodd, they completely ignore them for most of the match. Only sign I had that it WAS used was that one had been destroyed so I assume the bots got on it

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30-07-2010, 23:07:07 »
Highest Priority: Purple Heart lane Bug

We need to fix this for the next Release, people

What is your experience with this. Let's try and draw a map and narrow it down.. What are your theories?