Author Topic: Bot Navigation Tweaks  (Read 12704 times)

Offline Devilman

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
Re: Bot Navigation Tweaks
« Reply #75 on: 08-12-2010, 04:12:46 »
Oh,and just in case any "wankers",want to question or doubt my information,regarding debugging

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #76 on: 08-12-2010, 04:12:24 »
Thanks for the reply. I managed to get Mareth Line to load by removing some static objects (one by one, each time checking the log files and so on, like you were saying.)

Now it loads, but after I spawn in the screen begins to shake rapidly until the game crashes.

Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone know a fix?

hmm, just saw your last post Devilman. I do not doubt your information in the slightest.

Offline Devilman

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 10-12-2010, 09:12:11 »
Now it loads, but after I spawn in the screen begins to shake rapidly until the game crashes.

can you post a video of this shaking,you mention

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #78 on: 10-12-2010, 18:12:56 »
Well, it is more accurately called rapid rotation, but anyway here is a short clip of what I'm talking about. Note that the shaking is actually faster without fraps running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYHejCifdV8

I don't know where to even start looking on how to fix it.

Offline Devilman

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 11-12-2010, 00:12:05 »
Well, it is more accurately called rapid rotation, but anyway here is a short clip of what I'm talking about. 

this may be caused by the items that you removed
does it happen on different spawn points,and does it happen when you spawn on the other team ?

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #80 on: 11-12-2010, 01:12:32 »
I only removed a few static objects. But yeah, it happens wherever I spawn regardless of which team I pick.

I've gone ahead and built a barebones FH2 vehicle testing mod as you suggested. That is working under the debugger at least.

Now my problem is that vars.set debug-engine 1 doesn't show vehicle velocity. I can calculate it using the change in position coordinates over time, but I'd like a simpler method.

Do you know a debugging command I'm missing that will show vehicle speeds?

Offline Devilman

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 11-12-2010, 02:12:03 »
Now my problem is that vars.set debug-engine 1 doesn't show vehicle velocity. I can calculate it using the change in position coordinates over time, but I'd like a simpler method.

you need to make a minimod of bf2
Make sure the vars.set debug-engine 1 works
then add your FH2 objects bit by bit

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 11-12-2010, 06:12:34 »
@void
Arent we going a bit overboard. I mean, isnt there an easier way than all this?

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #83 on: 11-12-2010, 19:12:21 »
I'm looking for an easier way, but not finding it.

I've built a bf2 mini-mod with all FH2 vehicles in, and have it running under the debugger. Problem is that the command I mentioned earlier does not show vehicle velocity.

So, I need to find a command that will, or else I am stuck recording videos while running under the debugger and calculating velocity by looking at the change in position coordinates over time. I'm up for the math, but don't really want to go there.

All the tank AI templates are set to the same max speed, which is incorrect. Crusaders and Cromwells go faster than Shermans - etc.

I agree that I may be going a bit overboard. However, I admit to being a perfectionist, and really want to code in the correct speeds for the tanks.

The easiest way would be if someone already had the info on max speeds and decided to share it with me here.

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 31-01-2011, 20:01:43 »
The easiest way would be if someone already had the info on max speeds and decided to share it with me here.

I'm fairly certain I have a database of WW2 vehicle data somewhere on my PC, if not I have quite a few books on the subject and should be able to make a list of the FH2 vehicle max speeds.

Anyone know whether the BF2 engine uses miles or kilometres per hour for the vehicle speed settings?

Fixing the AI vehicle speeds is definitely a good idea, it should definitely make a noticeable difference in the larger NA maps at least. I'm fairly certain that bots can't drive vehicles faster than their actual in-game maximum speed (e.g. the Matilda is a lot slower even when driven by bots) but I assume that they don't go faster than their AI speed setting even if the vehicle they're driving can do so.

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 31-01-2011, 20:01:47 »
I've been finding that with the weapons files also. The whole idleling bots on Operation Cobra is due to faulty AI for the colt1911. Same goes for the idle bots on Totalize with the bhipo.

Is this a problem with FH2.3 or is it an old issue which you've fixed? Both the colt1911 and bhipo weapons seem to have their AI templates properly assigned in the 2.3 files, though I know the bhipo at least had no AI assigned pre-2.3.

Offline Void

• AI Dev
    • View Profile
    • ESAI at Moddb
« Reply #86 on: 31-01-2011, 22:01:45 »
Anyone know whether the BF2 engine uses miles or kilometres per hour for the vehicle speed settings?

BF2 measures this in Meters/Sec. I recently had the max vehicle speeds worked out for all the tanks, but I've lost all my FH2 Vehicle AI work in a hard drive crash (yes, I should have made a backup, I know.)

My method was to run in AI debug mode under a pseudo FH2 mini-mod (Vanilla BF2 + all the FH2 vehicles). I would use Fraps to record myself driving a vehicle over a straight stretch of road, and then calculate the change in the position coordinates over time.

It took a good while to get what data I had; shame it is all lost now.

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 01-02-2011, 09:02:11 »
Is this a problem with FH2.3 or is it an old issue which you've fixed?...
It must be a 2.3 problem because I've still got idling AT bots...

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 02-02-2011, 18:02:02 »
[Is this a problem with FH2.3 or is it an old issue which you've fixed? Both the colt1911 and bhipo weapons seem to have their AI templates properly assigned in the 2.3 files, though I know the bhipo at least had no AI assigned pre-2.3.

Someone had mentioned something about replacing the colt1911 with a different weapon and it fixed the issue of idle bots on Cobra. That was before the 2.3 release, but I never got around to checking if this was true until after 2.3. So the files in 2.3 are still the faulty ones. I don't know what is wrong with the colt or the bhipo. I just noticed that bots with AT kits that only have these weapon and an AT device (Pait/ Bazooka) tended to be the ones idle. And when in combat they never seemed to shoot at anyone with their side arm. The temporary fix I'm using now is I reassigned these pistols to use AI templates of a different sidearm in there .tweak file, and it seems to work, I have no more Idle bots on Cobra, or Totalize. But I'm not sure what the problem is with the AI templates for those weapons (like you said everything seems to be in order), unless there is a limit to how many weapons can use the same AI template, which I doubt.