Author Topic: Battlefield 1942 - Now Free  (Read 16051 times)

Offline FatJoe

• Developer
  • An old timer
    • View Profile
    • My internet
Re: Battlefield 1942 - Now Free
« Reply #30 on: 05-11-2012, 23:11:55 »
so.. I have to un-install my bought version of BF1942, to download, create account for and install Origin, to download and install the game I just un-installed..

and wow, so hard it is to uninstall the cd version then install with Origin. Takes all but 2 mouse clicks!  ::)

.. no.. Not really hard, but boring..

and Obviously takes more than just 2 mouse clicks  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) (fucking hate this smiley, please don't ever use it, ever.. please!)

Would have been lovely if I could have just used my already installed version, but cool!
Love to get some FH1 action going..

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 05-11-2012, 23:11:08 »
hmm, Invalid Cd-key??? anyone else having the same problem?

Offline luftwaffe.be

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 06-11-2012, 00:11:25 »
well had lots of fun tonight :)

But I don't see why EA didn't throw in the exp packs aswell. I mean they where pretty decent and why would they include it ? (please don't say "will come as DLC") i really wanted to play RTR and SW :/

Offline Easy Eight

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 06-11-2012, 00:11:04 »
I don't know, almost every mod ever created is better than these two lousy addons.

Offline Tim270

• PR Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 06-11-2012, 01:11:51 »
So does fh1 work on this version? is FH1 still played? Been years since I fired it up.

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #35 on: 06-11-2012, 01:11:19 »
So does fh1 work on this version? is FH1 still played? Been years since I fired it up.

I guess it is a different version.  Someone just tried and FH1 gave them a load of shit about it being the wrong version.  Trying it myself.  Seeing if I can find a way to fake out the installer.  I would say this thing is a big waste of time though if it does not work.  I have 3 fucking copies of the damn thing anyway.
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 06-11-2012, 03:11:52 »
I played four hours straight, and I enjoyed every single second!

"Enemy ship spotted!"

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 06-11-2012, 03:11:19 »
 they should have made this promotion work with the original disc holders...

I play FHSW and DC and there is no chance that the playerbase will go through the hassle that this offer provides. This offer could maybe revive the lacklustre fortunes of Fh1 though as PFC is hardly populated anymore.

there is still a chance that it could be fixed in house by EA or hopefully some modder breaks the offer so that we can all play together, customers and free-loaders alike.
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 06-11-2012, 04:11:02 »
Q: Can I play online against players who have the original disc-based version?
A: Unfortunately, no. This Origin digital download version can only be played against other players who are using the same version. But since it’s free for everyone, everyone can download their own copy of the game. This version of the game will only show applicable (new) servers in the server browser.

;D

and why on earth would anyone still use their CD version when it's free on Origin?
LOL!

2. Laugh at them when they realize they cannot play with their buddies who still have the original.

They can  ;) their buddies should just throw the CDs away and install Origin version  8)

Doesn't take a genius to figure that out, does it?

Go ask Ridley Scott why there were no dragons in Prometheus... Ridley would look at you and explain with slow words

- "well little guy.... you see, I didn't want to make a movie about dragons...
is that answer enough for you?
"

Offline Tankbuster

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 06-11-2012, 08:11:20 »
So FH1 works on this contraption?

Offline Cheesus Krighst

• Zi's Iz mein Flammenwerfer! And it Werfs Flammen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 06-11-2012, 08:11:58 »
Still trying to figure it out, still no dice. Anyone have any luck installing FH1?

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 06-11-2012, 10:11:54 »
now that someone failed at correcting you,
fixed

He posted a link to some site that doesnt even list the origin servers.. trolol0?
also, i dont count all the idlerz servers with a few people in. No one cares about those servers, people want to play on full servers, and my image is correct. only 3 servers in the actual ingame browsers were for CD version, the rest: all happy freeBf42 Origin server players. 8)

@FatJoe: it took you longer to write that post than to uninstall your old CD version

Wait, let me ponder this for a while.. the CD version?...

LOL! Who even has that installed anymore? you didnt reformat or buy a new CD the last 5 years? Most people did you know, so that is why it doesnt matter if the cd version doesnt work...

cd version... jeeeez  ::) just put them on a dusty shelf next to Metal Gear Solid and join the future of digital pl0x Do your PC even have  CD/DVD driver? mine donät, no need for it. All games are available digitally now.

Get the Origin version, it's free  ;D

they should have made this promotion work with the original disc holders...
I guess they didn't come to the ceremony where they crowned you King of what they should and shouldn't do with their games  8)

Im forced to throw up the Louis CK clip where he rants about how people of today whine about everything.
They're giving away the game for free. It's amazing. People are able to enjoy a game they havent played in years. Maybe never played, only heard about. And you're whining that they "force" you to install this (free) game digitally, instead of hasseling with CDs?

LOL!

Here's Louis; replace "guy with wi-fi on the plane" with "forum dude with free bf42 version"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mfmmNif5WCw#t=118s

Also, not all people have 100M internet like you. Actually, quite many people don't and can't have.
press install, go to sleep, play next day
« Last Edit: 06-11-2012, 10:11:35 by Natty »

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 06-11-2012, 10:11:31 »
^ Yes they are giving a game for free. But not the full game, with all that was available with the CD/Deluxe version. We don't even get mod support, and that's one of the things that made BF 42 special! Plus they are effectively splitting the (albeit small) playerbase into "free players" and "customers"... surprisingly with customers getting the short end of the stick this time... Was it so hard to make the CD version work on Origin servers, to not screw up your loyal customers, many of whom probably still don't have a decent computer/internet connection if they still play their 10 year old game?

Why would I care about Origin servers? You claimed that there were only 3 populated CD version servers and I proved you wrong... There were in fact a lot more than 3 of the regular servers out there... No need to behave like a child by posting "trolol0" or similar words the 12 year old kids on the Internet use in their arguments.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline FatJoe

• Developer
  • An old timer
    • View Profile
    • My internet
« Reply #43 on: 06-11-2012, 11:11:02 »
@FatJoe: it took you longer to write that post than to uninstall your old CD version

It doesn't matter how long it takes me to uninstall the cd version, registering and installing Origin and downloading and installing BF1942 is what is going to take up most of the time..

LOL! Who even has that installed anymore? you didnt reformat or buy a new CD the last 5 years? Most people did you know, so that is why it doesnt matter if the cd version doesnt work...

"LOL!" me..

I've formatted my computer and bought new CD's in the past 5 years. most people have as well. I also own BF1942 on CD, and not as a digital download (it's for example not available on Steam) and decided to install it to play Forgotten Hope 1 again. What exactly is funny about it? Why does it make you laugh that I had to use CD's to install a games from 2002? Because you're too young to remember CD's (the way you get your point across indicates low maturity) or because now it's suddenly available on Origin?

lololol blah blah durr rolling my eyes smiley blah blah 

That's it, I'm removing this smiley from the forums..

..aaand it's gone!
« Last Edit: 06-11-2012, 11:11:53 by FatJoe »

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 06-11-2012, 11:11:27 »

Get the Origin version, it's free 

get your head out of your ass, you may understand things better ;). it is. Aparantly, origin doesnt like you to change the default instalation folder , i would take the piss on ea, but at least it lets you change it, unlike steam.

solved it by reinstaling it on the default folder. total instalation time: 40 min. expansion packs installed: 0. good origin!