Author Topic: Tank roles by Steel_Lion_FIN  (Read 6812 times)

Offline Steel_Lion_FIN

• Mostly drunk.
    • View Profile
Tank roles by Steel_Lion_FIN
« on: 17-03-2010, 15:03:20 »
My two cents for tanking.

Rule #1, DON'T USE WLAN!
If you are, you would usually come head-to-head with a Panzer that can kill you with a single shot and the infamous "YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YOUR CONNETCTION" pops up, and when it goes away, you're dead.

Rule #2, Hull-down positions
Hiding that tall Sherman aluminium foil hull will increase your chances of surviving tank vs anything-else- that's-not-airborne combat. The turret is harder to hit, since it's a rather small target. Note that this also applies to tall self-propelled guns. (read: marder-series)

Rule #3, Smoke shells are not rubbish
When attacking, fire smoke shells to create defilades from anti-tank guns. Also, if you get hit but are still burning, fire a smoke shell between you and the shooter, then retreat to a not-obvious direction, meaning: don't go backwards. Move behind the nearest cover and repair, which leads to the next rule:

Rule #4, Take an engineer kit
Don't take limited kits with you if you decide to go tanking, since you'll block the kit from other players. Also that wrench comes handy if you manage to bail out of your tank before it's destroyed and fix something, say, a PAK gun to avenge your tanks fate. The explosives are useful, if you know you can't repair the tank in time or you are out of ammo and other people decide to be pillocks and not get an ammo truck, blow the tank up, so it spawns faster.

Rule #5, Tanks have different roles.
If your tank has a slow turret or it doesn't have one, defend with it. Anticipate the enemy's movements and wait in their flank to maximize the potential of the gun. Also applies to Tigers, but they are better in fire support role with their heavy armour. The Churchill, however, is best used as a plow. Lead the attack with your heavily armored fast turreted tank. If a defending tank shoots at you, the armor can take it, then just blast the guy.  StuGs are different. Their low profile makes ambushing easy. wait under trees for that sherman to expose himself. Also works in bocage country. Sitting low, you will be able to see targets sooner from under the branches than the opposing tall Sherman can see you.

See drawing:
I'd rather play Kimble with my ass!

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
Re: Tank roles by Steel_Lion_FIN
« Reply #1 on: 17-03-2010, 15:03:04 »
awesome picture :D

paint rox
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline roberto2

• THE BB.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17-03-2010, 16:03:31 »
he man thanks :o you are very right. :D
i can use this style of tank warfare
but i used it already but thanks.

here is 1
rule 6: USE INFANTRY.
use infantry to help the tank when you go in a urban place
the inf. can kill any infantry that try to get a BOMB on you from the back.
PEACE TO WAR!

Offline therenas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17-03-2010, 17:03:15 »
Rule #7:

Combine different tank types for maximum performance.
A big slow tank might be able to fight heavily armored enemies, but is all too vulnerable to enemy infantry or fast tank destroyers. Light tanks like the Stuart, Pz. II or armored cars like the M8 Greyhound or Puma can watch your back and take out light armored enemies and infantery very quick.

Rule #8:

Don't underestimate the power of speed in armored combat. While speed is not a great advantage in the open field it can save your ass in medium to close quarter combat in urban areas or in the French countryside with its small fields and narrow roads. You can excape before a big tank can bring its aim on you or use hit and run tactics on infantry or up to medium armored vehicles. Best suited for these tactics are light tanks and armored cars.

I don't agree with rule #1 though... I use Wlan and do not have any issues with my connection speed and stability.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17-03-2010, 17:03:15 »

Rule #2, Hull-down positions

Cromwell + hull down position + Totalize = dead Panthers
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline roberto2

• THE BB.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17-03-2010, 18:03:53 »
RULE 9 : kiss my ass. 8)
don't every drive away from a tank fight with your back at the enemy, they will get fast kill
or use your end to get the enemy thinking that your ther and then when he comes ther you drive to his back and shot him :D
or you get him to a point wher he has to look around corner and then your waiting ther.
PEACE TO WAR!

Offline Steel_Lion_FIN

• Mostly drunk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17-03-2010, 18:03:41 »
Right, continuation:

Rules #6, #7, #8 and #9 are very true.

Although there ar esome things to add:

Add-on to rule #6:

If you are tanking as a squad leader hold back a bit, because people are spawning on you. When they do, put some people to secure the flanks from AT soldiers. by holding back, i mean stay in well covered places, so they can disembark and get to cover quickly. There's no use in charging forward into an open field with a tank full of people straight into an 88mm barrel. Or 75mm.

Nothing to add to number 7.

Add-on to rule 8: use the speed of achilles or cromwells, and now Hellcats, to get behind that pesky Tiger and shove some ap rounds in the place under the tail, aka ass.

Number 9: indeed, always reverse, if you want to get away, and combine with rule #3.
I'd rather play Kimble with my ass!

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18-03-2010, 06:03:37 »
Cromwell + hull down position + Totalize = dead Panthers

Couldn't be more wrong.

Cromwell + flank + Totalize or Goodwood = dead Panthers

Cromwell is amazing for being sneaky. Come from where the enemy is not expecting you. Cross the river on totalize. Go beyond the railroad tracks on Goodwood. Doing this you can sneak up on all the camping panthers (you already know where these are!), blast 'em, and allow your team to advance.

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18-03-2010, 06:03:17 »
Cromwell <3!  A great tank for flanking. Its low profile allows you to hide under trees or in ditches, all the while combing the horizon for the idiot in the tiger that you know is going to arrive!

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18-03-2010, 14:03:29 »
Probably just a by-rule, but:
Know when to NOT take a tank. I notice this a lot on big one-way assault tank maps (like Totalize), maps where one team is defending.  The attacking team loses because everyone is back in main waitjng for a tank. And even if there are enough tanks in the field the team still loses because the tanks are nowhere near a cap-able flag, just hiding out looking for enemy tanks.

So then you've got a double bleed: no flags and infantry (i.e. me) is dying constantly because its impossible to cap an enemy flag without any decent armor support.

FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline therenas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18-03-2010, 16:03:49 »
I definately agree on that. Tanks are not the only way to score in this game... in fact they are not even the best way... but many players only go for kill count even though teamwork and capturing flags gives more points... I like driving a tank... but if I respawn and there is no tank available I just hop into the next available vehicle thats around to get to the front or fight the enemy. Better a soldier without tank than no soldier...
... even worse there are some players that not only wait for a tank but for a particular tank...

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19-03-2010, 00:03:36 »
Sometimes it's just better to rush towards enemy. Alam halfa for good example. Best way to cap first flags, is rushing forward without stopping. If everyone does this, first flag is captured in first wave. Specially in afrika map enemy usually don't have any means to destroy you if you drive circle and shoot HE around you.

Offline roberto2

• THE BB.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19-03-2010, 18:03:41 »
em he is right.
the tanks are meant for TANK support.
each tank has its stuf.
like the guy who started this sad.
each tank has a role in the game.
LIKE: FIREFLY= tank killer
        SHERMAN= INF support tank ( or light tank killer,it can't kill panther)
        cromwell= can be used for almost every thing sherman 2.
        TIGER= a very good tank killer in the right hands
        KING TIGER= also good tank killer but has slow moving turrent and that's its weak point.

the tank get inf support but also have to give tank support.
PEACE TO WAR!

Offline Roden

• Make war not love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19-03-2010, 19:03:49 »
Try to have a  teammate in the hull mg position !

what you want to try do is  point  the front in the general direction of enemy infatry while you watches another  way, did it with great succes on SOT a few days back between the two last bunker flag
i watched the western will hull gunner takes care off pining the east down

and we did have voip  so we could call out if there is a tank aprouching

Heavy tanks works best in a  more "defensive" type of role duh to there slow speed
letting the lighter tanks do the dirt job will you stay abit back (specially with tiger) and cover the lighter ones

Offline therenas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19-03-2010, 22:03:27 »
Not to mention that manning the hull MG gives massive kill help points if the driver is skilled... yeah free trophies  ;D