Author Topic: P14 (Unscoped)  (Read 844 times)

Offline FHMax3

• Gunnery Sargeant
    • View Profile
P14 (Unscoped)
« on: 07-03-2018, 16:03:35 »
It is interesting that the P-14 sniper rifle in the British service also used without the scope. The M1917 is basically a P-14 but unscoped. Were there ever thoughts of making vise versa available to both factions. For example, brits get P14 as a pickup or maybe NCO kit, while the yanks get the scoped one for early war maps as an alternative to springfield?
That other thread failed miserably and if you try to spam or flame here, I will break your arms.
FH2 won't be the last FH. ;)

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: P14 (Unscoped)
« Reply #1 on: 07-03-2018, 18:03:24 »
Well the Pattern 14 & M1917 Enfield were never really front line rifles. The design was from WW1 so they were really only given to rear line or home guard units. Maybe sometimes (when supplies of main battle rifles were low) were they given to front line troops, but I haven't really seen anything saying that they were. They were also mainly only used in the early part of the war ('40-'43ish).

It's important to note that they look the same and were both made in the same factories in the United States BUT the P14 was chambered in .303 (British standard ammunition) and the M1917 Enfield was chambered in .30-06 (American standard ammunition). That's why you don't see much swapping between the two.

Going off of Wikipedia, we seem to have them in the right roles in-game; the P14 (being known as a more accurate gun and made into a Sniper Rifle in WW1) is mainly used as a sniper rifle in early war maps.

The M1917 was really only issued to artillerymen/ rear line troops early in the war (so the ammo kit and mine kit in 1943 Africa). Unfortunately, I can't think of many other places to add them.

Wikipedia (which isn't the most complete source) also says that;
Post Dunkirk and with the great loss of arms that the British forces endured in 1940 the No3Mk1 (Pattern 14) stock suddenly became a valued resource.

So maybe the British used them a bit more in secondary campaigns like Greece after the fall of France? Would have to do more research on that tho and I don't think they were put into front line use.

About the M1917;
Others were supplied to the Nationalist Chinese forces... [and] to Filipino soldiers under the Philippine Army and Constabulary units and the local guerrilla forces and to the Free French Army, which can occasionally be seen in wartime photographs.

So CMP could possibly use the M1917 in more roles on their Invasion of the Philippines map.

At the end of the day it was just an outdated rifle and we don't have enough early war maps atm to add it.

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #2 on: 07-03-2018, 18:03:31 »
The British Home Guard was kitted out with them, I think mostly M1917s actually.  You can see this if you watch Dad's Army.

Offline Seth_Soldier

• Developer
  • "Mort aux cons !"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07-03-2018, 19:03:02 »
Originally the m1917 rifle was made for the free french army (remember the french flag):

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07-03-2018, 22:03:22 »
The British Home Guard was kitted out with them, I think mostly M1917s actually.  You can see this if you watch Dad's Army.

Yea, home guard used a ton of Both Pattern 14 & M1917.
...though the different .30-06 Springfield chambering limited use and necessitated clearly marking the rifles with a 2 inch wide red band around the stock

;D kind cool

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08-03-2018, 01:03:29 »
Originally the m1917 rifle was made for the free french army (remember the french flag):

And hopefully we shall seem them one day! Operation Dragoon plz